Old December 1st 07, 07:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

Default Will I be tired of nursing for the baby?

"betsy" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 10:49 pm, "Linda" wrote:
as
possible, (how about after the bath, let's have a cuddle first etc etc).
I'm pregnant with Number 2, due late March early April some time. I've
read
enough articles and posts, and knowing DD that I'm pretty sure even if I
managed to wean her when she's 2, when the baby comes along a few months
later she'll want to start up again. So I was thinking instead I'll just
keep on the way I am, but keep slowly winding it back, and maybe phase it
out after the baby arrives and the novelty has worn off - does that sound
like a plan?

If your milk supply has dwindled during the pregnancy, it may be
easier to wean before the baby comes. Once there is a lot more milk
and a nursing baby as a reminder, it may be more challenging.

It has definitely dwindled, but there have been times when I've basically
felt like she was just sucking on skin with nothing coming out - for ages -
and just happy with the comfort. (Sorry if that sounds gross). So I really
don't think that just having less milk is going to deter her. - On the
other hand I remember once about 6 or 7 months ago for some reason I was
really engorged and sore and she kept on telling me she'd had enough and I
kept on asking her to have just a bit more until she finally vomited - wow
did I feel guilty!!

The problem is that I'm really feeling sometimes that I've just had
enough -
and it hurts quite often - I guess because of the pregnancy and although
plan on just powering on I do worry that I won't have the same commitment
feeding number 2 as I'll just be so sick of it - or will I feel different
as
it will be a brand new little one?

The new one will be so little, you may find it easy to nurse your
little one, but much more challenging to nurse your older child.
After tandem nursing, I was relieved to be nursing one again.

Well there is that - I guess it will be a different experience to compare
the two of them.

On the other hand, if you find nursing two at once tolerable, you can
have the advantage of having them both occupied. Some women are
comfortable nursing two at the same time, but it is also not uncommon
to feel like throwing your older child across the room when doing it.

If I plan on taking that one to 2 years it will be just over 4 years of
non
stop nursing - I love it in principle, but feel like in practise I've had
enough.
Any thoughts?

Have you seen the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing"? It would give
you a chance to read about many women's experiences in tandem nursing
and deciding whether to tandem nurse. It is very supportive, whether
you decide weaning or continuing nursing is right in your situation.

I've seen it mentioned a few times but haven't read it. Will try to check
at the library for it.
Thanks for your comments