Old June 8th 07, 03:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Default Survey: best name for a newborn baby boy?

toypup wrote:
On 8 Jun 2007 05:16:16 -0700, Banty wrote:

He could legally change his name, too! He could take some street name. Sure,
there's always some recourse.

But usually, it just doesn't work the way you suggest. Names can stick early,
and nicknames are used with some awareness that it's a nickname. Even if he
could manage what you suggest, your "Richard" will need to step up to receive
his high school diploma by the name "Ricky" nonetheless.

Banty

For many reasons (none illegal), I've managed to go through life with quite
a few aliases. I've had my name legally changed and I have a number of
nicknames. It isn't as difficult as you might imagine.

Sure, my parents will call me by my given name, but they also use one of my
nicknames and enough people use whatever name I give them that I can
maintain all my aliases. It is expecially useful when someone calls me by
name and I can't recall who it is. Depending on what they call me, I can
at least place how I'm supposed to know them.

Honestly, you may think it's a legal thing, but if "Ricky" wants to go down
the aisle as "Richard," I honestly don't think the school would protest.
The pronouncement of his name would be honored as much as someone
preferring "Tom" over "Thomas." In fact, when I walked, I remember just
having my name on a piece of paper and telling them how I want them to say
my name, writing it out phonetically, because the names weren't written on
the diplomas until after the ceremony.

The only time I must use my legal name is on legal papers, like the
mortgage. I just explain how my aliases work (they don't ever insist on a
driver's license) and it's fine.

Speaking from experience, changing your name or living with nicknames is
very easy.

Shep Nuland was born Sherwin Nudelman. Shep is a surgeon and medical
historian at Yale the author of How We Die, Doctors and other very good
books.

He and his brother changed their last name in 1947. (Shep is his nickname.)

In his book, Lost in America: A Journey with My Father, Shep described
what it is like to legally change his family name. That is different
from legally changing his first name. For him, it was a big step forward
into a wider American life from his life with his immigrant father who
did speak English well and who wet himself more or less continually (his
dad had a bladder problem as a result of a bacterial infection that
spread to his spinal cord and brain).

I also knew another man who changed his last name so it wasn't so Jewish
sounding (he was Catholic). We never discussed it, but I don't think it
was a bid deal for him (it was a one letter change).

Jeff