Old April 9th 04, 10:11 PM
Plissken

Default Baby sign language?

"zolw" wrote in message
news:C5Ddc.740$nK1.7942@attbi_s54...
| Hi;
| So, I have a few questions:
|
| - At what age can/should we introduce sign language?

I've heard any time after 6 months is good

| - What kinda sign language are we to use?

I use ASL but you can just make things up that make sense to you, as long as
you are consistent

| - any book recommendations?

I haven't used a book, just a website to see how to sign
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

| - Any classes recommended?

I didn't take any classes. There was a brief 1 hour intro to signing in one
of my baby classes but I found it useless really.

| - If I make up some signs of y own, would this confusethe baby? (I know
| it sounds stupid, but I was told that it would. Which I really can't see
| as logical at all)

Go for it, make your own up! I don't see why this would confuse the baby any
more than using ASL would.

| - Does the fact that our baby is gonna be raised tripple or quatro
| lingual mean that sign language will be harder for the baby to learn? (I
| mean it is an added language)

Not in my opinion! It's an added language but the signs can be used along
with any language the baby learns. Words are spoken differently in different
languages but they have the same meaning and sign lanuage is physical way of
showing the meaning of the word (did that make sense?) so it would
compliment any language really.

Hope this helps.

~Nadene