Old January 13th 05, 07:45 AM
P. Tierney

"LisaBell" wrote in message
I am with you. We don't keep a lot of candy around the house as a rule
(though we usually have a little chocolate) and we limit eating it to
after dinner, and then only allow a small piece (two squares, or half
of a candy bar). When they go to parties and come home with a bag of
candy they have to put it in the fridge, and may eat one piece every
evening.

I too was warned that limitation might make candy into too much of an
issue, but I don't see that this is happening at all.

I don't either, so I completely relate to this post.. I've heard, by
extension, similar things about TV. But in practice, by limiting TV to
(for example) about a show a day, the child isn't used to filling her/his
time out with TV, and thus, is used to coming up with options on her
own, without even thinking of asking to watch more TV. It's the same
with food... candy isn't asked for because it isn't around and it isn't
considered a regular option. When other options have been presented
to and accepted by the child, those are the ones that she asks for.

Here, things like candy and juice aren't in the cabinets, except
on rare occasions.

P.
Tierney