Old April 24th 07, 02:12 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Bev

Default When to let kids meet new girlfriend

On Apr 23, 6:36�pm, "Strutter" wrote:
Excuse me if this question has been asked before, but when is the
appropriate time to let children meet a person you are dating? *My ex and I
have some disagreements about this. *I feel that I should be in a
relationship long enough to know that it has the potential to be lasting
before I subject my daughter (6 years old) to meeting the person I am
dating. *I don't believe that my daughter should be exposed to every person
I go out with, or her mother, just for a matter of convenience. *My ex wife
has dated three different guys over the past five months, and now my ex is
with someone new again. *I asked her to please give her relationships time
before having the person around my daughter, but the new guy is already
wanting to go to my daughter's T-Ball games, etc. *Am I crazy for thinking
that it's unfair to my daughter to be exposed to these guys so quickly? *Am
I unreasonable thinking that my ex should wait six months or whatever amount
of time it takes to see if the relationship will turn serious?

In my opinion yes, absolutely, parents should wait long enough to get
to know this person much better before subjecting their children to
not only the heartbreak of continous loss and instability created when
the relationship does not last and the child begins to build a
relationship with the person themselves,but very importantly , because
it takes a while to know for sure these people you bring into your
childrens lives will not be a danger to them! You just can not know a
person well enough in less than a year and that may not be enough time
to really be sure things will work out! You are being very responsible
to your childs mental,emotional and physical health ! Your ex wife
should know better, shame on her !

Bev