Old April 4th 04, 04:36 AM
Shannon G

Default Quick introduction of myself :)

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
I am just trying to find time to lurk and join in here. Some here from MKP
may recognize me.

My name is Jill, and I am 34 weeks pregnant with my first (a girl). I have
decided to breastfeed, and haven't yet been able to take a bf class but am
going to very soon-- I am due in May! (I'm in North Carolina, USA)

I feel a bit lost, because I don't know much about breastfeeding but have
picked up some good info on misc.kids.pregnancy. I do feel lost because,
sadly, all the people around me who have had babies have formula fed, and

so
has everyone in the family, even both grandmas! I'm going to have to find

link through the hospital to get in touch with a group of local bf'ing

moms
for support. I am very determined to breastfeed for as long as possible,

not
just a few weeks etc.

So, I probably have some silly and basic questions, and need

recommendations
on everything, especially products and supplies! I will try to use google
and lurk for a while so I won't be asking the same old repetitive

questions.

But I would like to ask....what do I need to have on hand to get started??

want to be sure I have the few things I need before I have the baby so I

can
just focus on the baby when we get home and can just go to it!

Jill

Congrats on deciding to give your baby the very best you can offer by
breastfeeding! Here are a few things I can think of:

- Boppy pillow
- Lansinoh or some other nipple cream which you may or may not need. I
didn't need it with my first but used a lot with my 2nd.
- You'll need nursing pads within 2-5 days - depending on when your milk
comes in.

It's strange but that's all I can think of for the first week or so. You
need to drink lots and lots of water. Stay on your vitamins. Rest and
enjoy your baby!

You didn't mention if you work outside the home or not. You may have to
think of a breastpump and introducing bottles around 6 weeks of age,
depending on your work status.

Shannon