Old January 6th 04, 06:23 PM
Clisby

Default birth control and bfing

Susan wrote:
Hi all,

I'm delurking to ask a question.

I have a 2 year old (nursed until he weaned himself at 15 months )
and an 11 week old.

My midwife suggested a Depo shot and I'm considering it but wanted to
ask you all. Does it interfere with b/fing at all? That's my primary
concern. Any complaints? Side effects? Pros?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Susan

Depo doesn't interfere with breastfeeding - at least, I've never heard
of any reason it would.

I was on Depo for almost 2 years after the birth of my son. I had no
problems whatsoever, unless you consider a total cessation of periods to
be a problem. For me, it was a bonus.

However ...

I'm pretty sure being on Depo for any length of time can make it harder
(temporarily) to get pregnant, once you go off it. I'm 50, so I
considered that bonus #2. A lot of people might not.

Some people do have problems with side effects. I can't remember all
the possibilities, although irregular bleeding was one (I never had this).

I've recently switched to the Mirena IUD. Apparently, after you've been
on Depo for some period of time, it's routine to check your estrogen
levels. Mine were too low, so my midwives wanted me either to switch
from Depo or take an estrogen supplement in addition. Since I hate
taking pills, I vetoed that idea and went with the IUD.

Clisby