Old October 26th 03, 12:50 AM
dejablues

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

I should have read your post before I answered, Sue. That is exactly what I
wanted to say, and you said it very well.

"Sue" wrote in message
Well imo, you are essentially telling your daughter that rules don't

matter,
school doesn't matter and that she can stay home at any whim. What is she
going to do in the real adult world when she has a job? Stay home because
she feels like it. What about college? She will need to be there all the
time in order to have all the information she needs to pass the class. If
she is sick that's one thing, but to stay home at any given time because

you
think it is important doesn't fly well with school. You are also setting
your daughter up for negative attention from the other kids at school.

They
will see her staying home, getting extra attention from the teacher

because
lessons will have to be repeated to her and possibly getting out of
essential tests and assignments. If she is missing so much, it ruins the
dynamics of the class. I don't mean the classroom persay, but things will
be discussed in class and your daughter will have no clue as to what went

on
the previous day. If you want to homeschool, then you need to do it full
time and not worry what your daughter wants because obviously you think

what
education she is getting is inadequate. Just because you think she is

smart
doesn't mean in reality that she is. She may be a little ahead in some

areas
and perhaps feel bored with some assignments, but she also may be feeling
left out when she misses so many days. If you want to supplement her

school
work, then perhaps you need to do it on the weekends and take away some of
her extracurricular activies that she has going.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Vicki wrote in message
news
Today we received a warning letter for truancy for our 2nd grader. The
principal said she was concerned about dd's absences. I am not

concerned
about dd's absences--she is bright, she knows the material [she's missed
five days this month, but received 100 on her test for materials

covered.]
I don't think the teacher is concerned. But the principal said dd is

only
allowed 5 excused absences per semester.

I'm not happy about the possibility of legal sanctions for keeping dd

home
(she was sick this month, but I wouldn't hesitate to take her out of

school
for other things we feel are important.) Can they prosecute us for

truancy
when dd is top of her class? I don't see the harm to anyone in dd not
going. And she *will* miss more school at Thanksgiving (important

family
time.)

We had planned to talk at school conferences about keeping dd home one

day
per week, or bi-weekly, to enhance her education. But from what I've

read
about truancy laws tonight, this doesn't seem to be allowable. Has

anyone
done this or know if it is doable?

dd does not want to homeschool full-time--she likes seeing her friends

at
school and we think this is good for her. We have discussed getting
appropriate challenge in her classroom--the teacher has been helpful,

but
there is only so much she can do. We chose not to skip dd to the next

grade
as she is already the youngest in her class.

Have others faced this truancy problem? How do you approach it? If

this
is
a law (5 days/semester,) does the principal have much leeway in

enforcing
it? If not, then who do we talk with? The DA? Is it possible to
homeschool part-time (the days dd misses) and avoid a truancy

enforcement?
Could we test out of second grade and attendance be optional?

dh is calling the principal next week, and we will meet with dd's

teacher
in
three weeks. I'd like to have a sense of our options before we go so we

do
what's right by dd and cause the least distress to her teacher and

principal
(who are quite nice.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Vicki