Old November 11th 07, 11:30 AM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Default IQ and what it means in adulthood

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Banty wrote:

I've always thought that being smart to the degree of ignoring social
conventions had more to do with that. Like the math whiz who works as
a school
custodian, submitting papers to mathematical journals (may be
apocryphal story
though ...).

Heh - I thought that was the plot of 'Good Will Hunting'? ;-)

Anyway, it would probably help if I gave the context here - the debate
was about the studies showing a correlation between breastfeeding and
increased IQ, and - if that association is real and not due to a
confounder - what it means in practice. I must say I was never terribly
impressed by the kind of numbers I was hearing - in the studies being
discussed, the average difference was seven IQ points, which just didn't
really sound like that much in practice to me. But the question came
up, and it got me wondering whether I was right about that or not.

By practising, you can increase your IQ score in tests by about 5 points
(or so I've read).

The difference between average score and (average plus seven) score is
probably significant, compared to the difference between high score
and (high plus seven) score.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three