Once upon a time....

Old November 3rd 05, 02:58 AM

Default Once upon a time....

....on a newsgroup on spanking posters in favor and apologists would
insist that they knew the line between spanking and abuse.

I asked a simple question.

Were is the line.

So far, no workable answer.

A lot of evasion.

A lot of harrassment.

But no real answer.

Where, folks that believe in spanking is the line that will ensure the
child is safe, but your spanking will be effective discipline, eh?

And how is it with this claim that there are so many different
definitions of how hard, with what, spanking can be done and we would
presume the spanker has no intent to injure?

Nearly every child abuser claims they were just disciplining... when
they are caught.

0:-

Old November 3rd 05, 03:41 AM

http://www.repeal43.org/news3.html

Oct 15/03 Letter to Vancouver Sun Spanking kids: A precursor of abuse
or a necessary tool?
UN should focus on real problems for children, Letter, Oct. 9

As a retired professor of social work at the University of B.C. with
more than 30 years of experience in child welfare, I can assure the
public that corporal punishment is indeed a real problem. We have
numerous incidents here in B.C. and across Canada where spanking has
gotten out of hand, and resulted in the physical abuse of children.

The research is in on this issue and it is clear. Research shows that
most child abuse stems from a belief in corporal punishment. I'll quote
just one study, the Canadian Incidence Study, which was considered one
of the most thorough studies of its kind in the world. It was based on
7,672 child welfare investigations from 51 sites in all provinces and
territories. The researchers examined four areas of abuse (physical,
sexual, emotional and neglect). The findings revealed that
substantiated cases of physical abuse consisted of: inappropriate
punishment (69 per cent of physical abuse cases); shaken baby syndrome
(one per cent); and other forms of physical abuse (3l per cent).

Section 43 has been in our Criminal Code since our criminal law was
first codified in l892. It is based on English common law that allowed
corporal punishment of wives, servants, apprentices and children. The
only one that is still legal is the corporal punishment of children.

Condoning corporal punishment contributes to violence in our society
and is contrary to both the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the
United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Other civilized countries such as Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Austria and
Norway have all abolished corporal punishment. The majority of
Canadians now support repealing Section 43. The timing is right to join
these countries.

Those of us who have supported the repeal of this section for many
years, have heard all the arguments from those who believe in spanking
children. Many of them like to boast that their parents spanked them,
and look how great they turned out!
Betty Carter, Vancouver

Old November 3rd 05, 11:32 PM
Carlson LaVonne

Of course you, and any other regular on this ng know my feelings on
this. As long as we allow children to be legally hittable in the name
of discipline (an illegal act for anyone 18 and over), the line is
arbitrary. Children will continue to be hit and hurt in the name of
discipline, with the line being drawn differently by different states,
and will spankers arbitrarily attempting to determine the frequency and
severity with which they can hit their children when disciplining,
before the arbitrary line is crossed.

LaVonne

Old November 4th 05, 12:16 AM

Yes, the problem is reality.

Anyone not out of touch with it knows that the number of variables, and
the great difficulty one would have testing them, precludes there being
any such line. Even the law cannot, with assurance say where it is,
thus there are trials in individual cases.

It's not like getting a speeding ticket. If the sign says 25 and you
are going 26 you did in fact cross the line.

Must the line for children be some arbitrary guess by the parent?

It's not for me. And it's not for you. And it's not for screeching
monkeyboys either. Anyone even touch us without our permission and the
have cross the line from legal to illegal.

One can beat a child and call it "spanking," as people do all the time,
and if the law decides the injury was not apparent enough (something
not required if I charge someone with assualting me) to warrant being
called abuse, then the parent got to legally beat a child. Happens all
the time.

If it weren't so laugable I'd call that "criminal."

And soon it will be.

Kane