Mornin' xkatx

Old August 20th 06, 05:55 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
xkatx

Default Mornin' xkatx

"'Kate" wrote in message
I don't know what to tell you about the lawyers other than don't get
sucked into having to look after Norm *again* if you can help it.

I really don't want to, which is why all these papers are still sitting
unsigned.

If he's not the parent of the children, he has no say over what they get
or don't get as a result of the accident. And if he's not the legal
guardian, he cannot sue you on their behalf. If that's true, then his
contract with the other lawyer is not binding.

Any settlement for either child is completely theirs, and it goes into a
trust fund for the day they turn 18. This is something that is standard,
and I couldn't request it to be changed or have it changed.
We had discussed with the first lawyer about me being the one and only
guardian of both the kids. We're not common law or married, which is why I
am the sole guardian of both. With my consent, as their legal guardian,
Norm was able to sign papers for B, and as well for A (as he is the legal,
biological father of her) and I had been sitting there as well.
The first lawyer had said that basically anyone involved with the kids could
sign, just so long as they are of legal age and not directly involved with
the accident or either insurance companies. Immediate next-of-kin was best,
as since he is A's dad.

If your children sue you, you'll pay in the long run. On the other hand,
it would get you some operating cash for right now.

They aren't going to be suing me directly - I did and do have valid
insurance, so technically it would be suing the insurance company, which has
liability for a reason. I have 1-million dollar liability, although I'm not
sure about the other driver. I would assume either half million or one
million, as that tends to be standard for every insurance company I've ever
come across.
Any money goes right into a trust fund for any minors available only when
they become legal age - that's 18 here. It's not so much about the actual
money, as I would not, technically, see it.
I suppose I could try and sue for myself, but really, I don't want to deal
with that. I was told by the lawyer that suing can often take up to the
maximum of 2 years, unless the insurance company involved is willing to
straight out settle.
Also, as far as suing goes, a claim is a claim is a claim. It doesn't
matter if it's for $500 or $50,000. It shows up with insurance companies as
a single claim, and insurance premiums do not go up and up to match the
claim. They only go up so much, and it doesn't matter how much the claim is
for or what the claim is for. If it's *his* insurance, he will have to make
a claim for the damage to his truck - about $8,000 - and we'll make a claim
for the value of my car - about $2500ish, I think it was. Add the suing and
it won't go up any more or any less as there's already a claim for the
damages. If it's my insurance, he'll have to make a claim for the $8,000ish
for repairing his truck, I won't make a claim for my car as I did not have
collision. Add the suing and again, makes no difference. Same claim,
doesn't matter for how much the claim is.

Tough choices kiddo... and all I wanted to do was say "good morning!"...
I hope it's a sunny day and you can get out of the house with the kids.
Plan a picnic at the park or something. Get 'em good and tired. It'll
make the evening much easier!

It was fairly crappy this morning - all cloudy and eventually rained a bit.
We did get out for a little while earlier... Went to MIL's house (Norm's
mom's house) for a little bit but it was a tad windy for A, and when we came
home, sent B off to play with the neighbour kid
I spent a good half an hour cleaning the baby's room before she went to bed,
then forced B to pick his dirty clothes up off the floor while I picked up
the toys, gave his floor a quick date with the vacuum and off to bed he
went! Now... Time to work on *my* room - ugh.
Kids went to bed no problem, yet an easy evening for me? HA! lol

Old August 21st 06, 06:58 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
xkatx

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 04:55:22 GMT, "xkatx" the following
was posted in blue dry erase marker:

"'Kate" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Given where your head was at at the time, Norm was the obvious choice to
do this. He created a mess for you. I'm halfway to telling you to have
him clean it up... just hand everything over to him that he is supposed
to be doing and tell him to either do it, or withdraw himself from
guardianship in this matter.

This is one thing I'm trying to work on, and so far, the plan is deal with
it myself. I just don't want to end up being backed into a corner or
something.

[...]

2 years isn't such a long time.

It isn't, really, since any money other than medical money would be put in a
trust fund until 18th birthdays - that's 13 years for B and 17 years for A
right now.
It's a long time with dealing with lawyers. Lawyers, for me, are kind of
like laundry AND dishes to do - I just want to avoid them all together!

[...]

Oh. heh. Things I don't know would fill a book.

Things I've been finding out in such a short period of time = a graphing
calculator's 'manual'

[...]

I know... no rest for the mommie. And here you are, up and at it again.
Someday, things will get easier.

Yes, when it's my turn to have my food pureed, diapers changed and wheel
chair pushed around LOL
I did put a dent in the bedroom... Slowly but surely it's getting done. I
plan to pull out stuff from under the bed and wash the floors some time
tomorrow! Yippee. Ugh lol

I use to love doing projects with the kids... making things, baking, or
science projects.... we did a number of tornados in a bottle, and
vinegar/baking soda eruptions, how some things can mix like food
coloring and water and some things can't like oil and water or salt and
sugar (with a microscope), we loved growing container tomatoes. They
were the best! I miss having young'ens. smile but nice memories.

'Kate

I find B isn't really interested in too much that the other boys his age
tend to like to do... He likes to do the typical 'guy' things - building
things or drawing, mostly. He seems most content if sitting down at the
table with a big book of paper and a pencil, and for some reason, he doesn't
care much for messy things. I always enjoyed the volcano experiments...
Maybe I could pick up some supplies and make it something he'd actually be
interested in - like make a small world of dinosaurs (which he loves) and
volcanos that explode. I picked up that Dr. Dreadful food lab toy for him
for his birthday in January - thought he'd love something like that... Turns
out he didn't like a single 'food' item it made and didn't really care much
for it since all the food and candy it made really was horrible.
Container tomatos? Is that like the little plastic container with the strip
of tomato seeds that you can plant in the plastic 'greenhouse' and grow? If
it is, no go over here... I have issues with that... I drowned the poor
seeds and not a single thing grew in it... I followed the directions exactly
how they said to on the package, only to read (AFTER) that the directions
were wrong and the correct way to do it was with about half the amount of
water that the package said to use... Poor tomatos didn't stand a chance
with me LOL

Mornin' xkatx Kim Single Parents 0 August 19th 06 03:27 PM
kat ? (xkatx) PK Pregnancy 7 July 12th 06 05:47 PM