Kick and Crawl Aquarium Danger?

Old October 20th 05, 04:00 PM

Default Kick and Crawl Aquarium Danger?

I wanted to ask if any of you have had this happen.

The other day my daughter ( 6 mo old) was playing with her Kick and
Crawl Aquarium. She had pulled off one of the toys that hangs by
velcro, which has another plastic toy you attach to it that faces such
that the two toys almost form a cross. She put the toy down and it
layed there on the floor kind of like an X I guess. It didn't look
dangerous, so I didn't pick it up and put it back. Anyway, later on she
was tryng to roll over and, as I watched in horror, her head came right
down on the end of the toy and it looked like it stabbed her in the
back of the neck. The attached part of the toy didn't break away and go
flat on impact, like I thought it might have.

My point is, she was ok, but it could have been her eye or her throat
which certainly would have done damage.

Hopefully there is a Fisher-Price official watching these forums; I may
yet write them and explain this hazard.

In the meantime, I have removed the extra pieces so this doesn't happen
again. Anyone that has this toy, which she LOVES by the way, should
look out for this.

Old October 20th 05, 05:14 PM
JennP

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hopefully there is a Fisher-Price official watching these forums; I may
yet write them and explain this hazard.

I don't know the toy, so I can't picture what happened, but you definitely
should email them. How else are they going to find out about products that
might be dangerous?

JennP.

Old October 20th 05, 06:31 PM
Jamie Clark

I'm sorry that your daughter was almost injured, and glad that she wasn't
seriously hurt.

I sincerely doubt that there are any FP officials watching this ng. I also
don't know whether I believe that FP is in any way responsible for this
issue. Any child could fall onto any toy. That doesn't make the toy maker
responsible, or the toy unsafe.

I think it was a judgment call on your part. You said you didn't think the
toy looked dangerous, so you left it on the ground. Next time you will know
better. I don't think you need to remove all the hanging toys from the
aquarium, just keep an eye out while your daughter is playing with it.

Again, I'm glad she wasn't hurt.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old October 20th 05, 08:25 PM
Mum of Two

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
I'm sorry that your daughter was almost injured, and glad that she wasn't
seriously hurt.

I sincerely doubt that there are any FP officials watching this ng. I
also don't know whether I believe that FP is in any way responsible for
this issue. Any child could fall onto any toy. That doesn't make the toy
maker responsible, or the toy unsafe.

I'm sure there are guidelines for toys with rigid, pointed parts though.
Having not seen the toy, I can't really comment, but a toy intended for
young children shouldn't have a piece that when laid flat could impale a
throat, eye etc.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old October 20th 05, 10:53 PM
madsygrl

Thank you!
I thought that the "pointy"part would break loose, as I'm sure it
should, so that's why I didn't pick it up, silly me.

She really does like it so I took off the extra pieces and just let the
pieces attached to the straps hang down.
Interestinglly enough, on their website these extra toys are not
pictured, but the thing hasn't been recalled either.

Also their convoluted site map doesn't give any hint as to whether they
can be emailed about this, other than snail mail or phone.

And I'm sure not a litigious jackass that blames life's little bumps on
product makers. I just wanted to know if anyone else had this
experience, or it was just my unfortunate situation. And that perhaps I
should mention it to the product maker so that maybe they could improve
on what they have...as I suspect they already did from what the
pictures sho9w.

Oh well, she's okay, life goes on...

Old October 20th 05, 11:00 PM
V.

Try https://www.cpsc.gov/incident.html
It's not Mattel/Fisher Price, but it's the people that keep track of recalls
and prompt them in most cases.

oups.com...

Old October 21st 05, 04:55 AM
Mum of Two

"madsygrl" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't suggest you try to sue them ;-) It may be an idea to let them know
though, if you feel it poses a hazard, even though your daughter has come to
no harm. Chances are, someone else's child *could*. I'm going through this
at the moment with a rattle/bath toy that my DD darn near bit the arms off.