Almost 15 month old still not walking...

Old September 19th 03, 04:08 AM
Brandy Kurtz

Default Almost 15 month old still not walking...

Abby is almost 15 months old now, and she still isn't walking! She
took all of four steps the whole week.It is really starting to worry
me. She can climb things, and crawl lighting fast, ride her little
ride-on baby bikes and all. Did anyone else have any really late
walkers?!?! Am I woring for nothing.
Plus she isn't really talking yet either! Like today she seen a rubber
duckie, and was chanting *duck* for about half an hour. And she will
repeat us soemtimes, but she isn't talking to us. If she wants
something she points at it and grunts or with her palm upwards she
will open and close her fingers (like a gimme gesture). She knows who
mom and dad are, siblings, pets, etc. But she just won't say it! Do
you think I should call her ped?

Brandy
Old September 19th 03, 04:21 AM
Sandy

Some kids just take longer than others,,,,,,,,my son didn't speak till he
was 2,,,,,,,,but then,he sure made up for lost time......
If it assures you,,,,,,by all means make an appointment with your
pediatrician,,,,go through the tests,,,,if anything it will give you peace
of mind.
Sandy
m...

Old September 19th 03, 04:21 AM
Chotii

"Brandy Kurtz" wrote in message
m...
Abby is almost 15 months old now, and she still isn't walking! She
took all of four steps the whole week.It is really starting to worry
me. She can climb things, and crawl lighting fast, ride her little
ride-on baby bikes and all. Did anyone else have any really late
walkers?!?! Am I woring for nothing.
Plus she isn't really talking yet either! Like today she seen a rubber
duckie, and was chanting *duck* for about half an hour. And she will
repeat us soemtimes, but she isn't talking to us. If she wants
something she points at it and grunts or with her palm upwards she
will open and close her fingers (like a gimme gesture). She knows who
mom and dad are, siblings, pets, etc. But she just won't say it! Do
you think I should call her ped?

Two of my daughters didn't walk until 17 months; the oldest didn't really
*really* talk until she was 3 1/2 years old. It was all point-and-grunt
until then. And then in the course of a month she went from grunting to full
paragraphs. My twins talked more at age 2 than my eldest talked at 3.

I suspect you're worrying for nothing.

--angela

Old September 19th 03, 04:24 AM
iphigenia

Brandy Kurtz wrote:
Abby is almost 15 months old now, and she still isn't walking! She
took all of four steps the whole week.It is really starting to worry
me. She can climb things, and crawl lighting fast, ride her little
ride-on baby bikes and all. Did anyone else have any really late
walkers?!?! Am I woring for nothing.

Gabe didn't start walking until 18 months. It's late, but within normal
range. As for talking, at that point he didn't say anything at all. Now, he
never stops...

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 19th 03, 05:12 AM
Kereru

"Brandy Kurtz" wrote in message
m...
Abby is almost 15 months old now, and she still isn't walking! She
took all of four steps the whole week.It is really starting to worry
me. She can climb things, and crawl lighting fast, ride her little
ride-on baby bikes and all. Did anyone else have any really late
walkers?!?! Am I woring for nothing.
Plus she isn't really talking yet either! Like today she seen a rubber
duckie, and was chanting *duck* for about half an hour. And she will
repeat us soemtimes, but she isn't talking to us. If she wants
something she points at it and grunts or with her palm upwards she
will open and close her fingers (like a gimme gesture). She knows who
mom and dad are, siblings, pets, etc. But she just won't say it! Do
you think I should call her ped?

Brandy

Hamish didn't walk until 17 months. Now he runs jumps climbs, stands on one
leg you name it seven months later. I put it down to him being big (more to
lug around), having a long attention span (he would sit and play for hours),
and being a bit of a perfectionsist, he was just waiting until he knew he
could do it well!

He never really toddled, just walked properly straight away, he very rarely
fell over or bumped into anything.

I've met plenty of kids who don't say much at 15 months, I wouldn't worry.
Just ask next time you go about something else if you are worried.

Judy

Old September 19th 03, 07:21 AM
H Schinske

Brandy ) wrote:

Abby is almost 15 months old now, and she still isn't walking! She
took all of four steps the whole week.It is really starting to worry
me. She can climb things, and crawl lighting fast, ride her little
ride-on baby bikes and all. Did anyone else have any really late
walkers?!?! Am I woring for nothing.
Plus she isn't really talking yet either! Like today she seen a rubber
duckie, and was chanting *duck* for about half an hour

The average for walking is actually after a year. You hear so much about the
early ones that it is hard to remember :-) Her other motor skills sound so good
that I bet the late walking is *probably* just fine. Ask your pediatrician by
all means, though.

My son wasn't saying ANYTHING WHATSOEVER at 15 months, I mean no recognizable
words, not even Mama, Dada, etc. (Okay, he still doesn't say "etc." much ;-) )
He did make lots of different sounds, babbing and so on, and understood quite a
bit that we said. I don't think his sisters were saying *much* at that age,
though they may have had a few words. I think plenty of kids are saying
essentially nothing at this stage. If her hearing and understanding are
obviously fine, it isn't time to worry one bit yet.

--Helen
Old September 19th 03, 10:26 AM
Tine Andersen

"Brandy Kurtz" skrev i en meddelelse
m...
Abby is almost 15 months old now, and she still isn't walking! She
took all of four steps the whole week.It is really starting to worry
me. She can climb things, and crawl lighting fast, ride her little
ride-on baby bikes and all. Did anyone else have any really late
walkers?!?! Am I woring for nothing.

Yup. Everything from 9 to 18 mos is quite normal. Both of my two walked at
15 mos.

Plus she isn't really talking yet either! Like today she seen a rubber
duckie, and was chanting *duck* for about half an hour. And she will
repeat us soemtimes, but she isn't talking to us. If she wants
something she points at it and grunts or with her palm upwards she
will open and close her fingers (like a gimme gesture). She knows who
mom and dad are, siblings, pets, etc. But she just won't say it! Do
you think I should call her ped?

She's right now learning to walk - she hasn't got time for talking. It comes
in phases. First a period of motor development, intermission, then a period
of mental developmen, intermission. Repeat.

Tine, Denmark

Old September 19th 03, 12:41 PM
Herself

Brandy Kurtz wrote:

Abby is almost 15 months old now, and she still isn't walking! She
took all of four steps the whole week.It is really starting to worry
me. She can climb things, and crawl lighting fast, ride her little
ride-on baby bikes and all. Did anyone else have any really late
walkers?!?! Am I woring for nothing.

Yep :-). P walked at 16 months, never crawled again. He waited til he
could do it right, then DID it :-).

Plus she isn't really talking yet either! Like today she seen a rubber
duckie, and was chanting *duck* for about half an hour. And she will
repeat us soemtimes, but she isn't talking to us. If she wants
something she points at it and grunts or with her palm upwards she
will open and close her fingers (like a gimme gesture). She knows who
mom and dad are, siblings, pets, etc. But she just won't say it! Do
you think I should call her ped?

No...you're fine, she's fine. Deep breath now... :-)
--
Meself
mom to P, 23/12/01
Old September 19th 03, 02:10 PM
Shannon

Brandy;

It's such a personal thing, to each parent and each baby. If it were me, I
would mention it at a routine checkup. I have some good friends whose DS
walked VERY late - around 16 months. He was simply a placid baby, and
didn't have much interest for a while. The pediatrician was aware of the
situation and was taking a cautious watch-and-wait attitude. If the baby
didn't reach certain goals by certain (fairly late) deadlines, than he would
recommend further testing. None of the testing ended up being necessary.

Keep your ped in the loop, but don't consider it an emergency. Some kids
just take longer.

the talking - our DS had all of three words before his second birthday.
Sometime after he turned 2, the Great Word Explosion happened, and now we
can't stop him. I think at 15 months all we had was "da-da" (meant doggie).
A clear "duck" at 15 months should be celebrated!

-Shannon