Rh Neg Question

Old April 16th 08, 01:49 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

Default Rh Neg Question

Hiya

I was just wondering if I need the Rh neg jab (sorry I forgot it's name)
this time. I'm A Rh Neg and Jessica was born O Rh neg, so I'm guessing that
makes DH Rh Neg too? If so, does that mean I can skip those horribly nasty
jabs this time?

Thanks

Lucy x

Old April 16th 08, 02:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

lu-lu schrieb:
Hiya

I was just wondering if I need the Rh neg jab (sorry I forgot it's name)
this time. I'm A Rh Neg and Jessica was born O Rh neg, so I'm guessing that
makes DH Rh Neg too? If so, does that mean I can skip those horribly nasty
jabs this time?

It doesn't necessarily make him Rh neg, too. You might be able to avoid
the shots if he gets tested and is found to be Rh-neg, too. But I
wouldn't count on being able to avoid the shots.

cu
nicole
Old April 16th 08, 08:42 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sue

Sounds like a really good question for the doctor/midwife and not a
newsgroup.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old April 16th 08, 09:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

lu-lu wrote:
Hiya

I was just wondering if I need the Rh neg jab (sorry I forgot it's name)
this time. I'm A Rh Neg and Jessica was born O Rh neg, so I'm guessing that
makes DH Rh Neg too? If so, does that mean I can skip those horribly nasty
jabs this time?

Unless you know his blood type for sure, there is no
guarantee that he's Rh-. He could be Rh+ and still produce
an Rh- child. There are some who would debate the necessity
of the 28 week anti-D shot if you don't have any risk factors.
It definitely provides an additional measure of safety, but
the risk of sensitization without the prenatal shot (but *with*
the postnatal shot) is still very low. So, if you wanted to
gamble a little you could skip it until after the birth and
have the baby tested and only get the shot if the baby was Rh+.
Or, you could have DH get his blood typed. If he is Rh- there'd
be no need for the shot.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old April 17th 08, 12:15 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Sue wrote:
Sounds like a really good question for the doctor/midwife and not a
newsgroup.

It's not such a bad idea to ask around, though. This
is definitely an area where opinions differ, where some caregivers
are less than well-informed, and where policies sometimes conflict
with accurate information.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old April 17th 08, 03:50 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I was just wondering if I need the Rh neg jab (sorry I forgot it's name)
this time. I'm A Rh Neg and Jessica was born O Rh neg, so I'm guessing that
makes DH Rh Neg too? If so, does that mean I can skip those horribly nasty
jabs this time?

all it tells you is that he has the gene for negative, but he could be
positive or negative, rhesus status is like brown and blue eyes,
positive being like brown, dominant and negative being like blue,
being recessive and requiring a gene from each of the parents - so
what you said would be the same as saying, I have blue eyes, my
daughter has blue eyes, hence my husband has blue eyes. So getting him
tested might put you in the clear - I think they don't usually suggest
that so as to avoid any assumptions about who the father is, but
should be able to deal with it when it's initiated by the mother. I
had a male colleague who was Rh- as was his wife, they had 4 children
and most times they would engineer some way of getting him out the
room and quizzing her after delivery. Nothing is an absolute must, as
Ericka says, there isn't universal agreement on the 28 week shot and
I've come across instances where the mother has been very sure it
would be her last baby and declined - though I'm not aware of any
research that suggests these decisions are stuck to, I don't think
many doctors would readily agree to that for many women.

Cheers
Anne