Can tofu give a baby gas?

Old October 16th 03, 12:48 AM
Molly Ging

Default Can tofu give a baby gas?

I'm beginning to think that me eating tofu is giving my DS gas. Either that
or broccoli. The local Chinese place makes the best tofu w/ broccoli but it
seems that DS is very upset and cranky the day after I eat it. It could be
a coincidence but I'm not sure. He only stools once every three days
usually and that day was yesterday so I'm not expecting it today. He has
passed gas a lot today but he does everyday.

Has anyone had a baby with an intolerance to tofu?

tia,
Molly
DS 8weeks

Old October 16th 03, 01:12 AM
Sue

I wouldn't suspect tofu. I would suspect the broccoli though. Since it is
Chinese, is there a lot of MSG in the food? My stomach can't stand a lot of
MSG and have stomach problems after eating food from certain Chinese places.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 16th 03, 01:26 AM
K.B.

I think it could be both. Both foods give my baby gas. When I have soy foods
he doesn't seem to tolerate it well. I can't have dairy either.
Kris

Old October 16th 03, 01:34 AM
NBennett

I ate tofu all the time when I b/f'd my daughter. As soon as she was into
solids
I mixed it into her food too. We're vegetarian so I was always working the
protein
angle. There was no problem with gas.
BUT when I feed my dog kibble with soy, she gets gas. I have to feed her no
soy
kibbies.

Nancy - mom to Grace 12 yrs, bf for first 19 months.

Old October 16th 03, 03:21 AM
iphigenia

Molly Ging wrote:
I'm beginning to think that me eating tofu is giving my DS gas.
Either that or broccoli.

Well, broccoli is a very gassy food. OTOH, soy is one of the more allergenic
foods, and GI upset can indicate a sensitivity to something the mom's
eating.
But it's probably the broccoli.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 16th 03, 03:38 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Soy is a common allergen, so I'd think that it could easily give an
infant gas. I never eat soy myself, so have no personal experience with
it while nursing. (The soy allergy runs in my family.)

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old October 16th 03, 03:41 AM
Beth Kevles

By the way, although broccoli can give adults gas when eaten, the
mechanism is not the same as that for foods that give gas to nursing
infants. My vote is strongly in favor of the soy. BUt don't guess; do
a proper elimination of soy (as tofu and anything else) AND broccoli.
After a few days, eat lots of broccoli. No problem? After another few
days, eat a lot of tofu. See what happens. And whatever else you do,
WRITE DOWN everything you eat, and how the baby is feeling, during both
the elimination period AND the reintroduction period. Don't rely on
your memory! After all, it might have easily been neither food, but a
passing mild virus instead.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old October 16th 03, 11:14 AM
Tine Andersen

Molly Ging wrote in message
I'm beginning to think that me eating tofu is giving my DS gas. Either

that
or broccoli. The local Chinese place makes the best tofu w/ broccoli

but
it
seems that DS is very upset and cranky the day after I eat it. It could

be
a coincidence but I'm not sure. He only stools once every three days
usually and that day was yesterday so I'm not expecting it today. He

has
passed gas a lot today but he does everyday.

Has anyone had a baby with an intolerance to tofu?

tia,
Molly
DS 8weeks

What is MSG?

Tine (the dummy), Denmark

Old October 16th 03, 12:32 PM
Sue

Tine Andersen wrote in
What is MSG?

Monosodium L-glutamate, which is a fancy word for lots of salt and
preservatives that they add to Chinese food. Too much and it can upset the
intestinal system.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)