kfc, drawing, tattoo's and kids.

Old December 16th 03, 11:59 AM
dejablues

Default kfc, drawing, tattoo's and kids.

What's wrong about getting a tattoo??? You can't get one anyway til you're
18 (well, I guess you could get a "jailhouse tattoo" with pen ink and a
razor before , if you did it yourself!) If a kid wants to get one after
they're 18, it's really none of the parents concern!

Most people with tattoos are happy to talk about them.

JennP wrote:

"Nic" nlmiles@optushomedotcomdotaunospam wrote in message
u...

I don't think the guy in front
was to happy with my reply (I said that he was allowed as his mum let him
but I am not as nice and I don't allow you to draw on your body.)

Honestly, I don't think I'd blame him. Body art is exactly that to people
who have it done. Art. There's a big difference between drawing on
yourself and tatoos, IMO.

I'm now wondering
How do you explain to a child what tattoo's are and why some people have
them ?

Ds has asked and I've told him that when some people get to be adults they
make the choice to decorate their bodies that way.

And how to explain so you child knows the difference between drawing on

legs
and tattoo's on legs ?

Marker washes off, tatoos don't and are for adults?

And what should I have replied ?

I think I would have just said those are called tattoos and they don't
wash off. Short and sweet and discuss it in more detail later. Please no
offense, but in the future if a situation like this comes up you might
want to make your answer a little more neutral, at least in front of the
person being discussed.

Old December 17th 03, 12:58 PM
Nic

Earlier tonight we went out and bought dinner. I went to the local kfc to
buy dinner and had to stand in the queue with dd for a little bit as the
store was busy.

This guy was in front of us, was in his forties as a guess and had tattoo's
over his legs and arms. My dd happened to notice and said how naughty he was
and that he has to wash his legs and arms. I don't think the guy in front
was to happy with my reply (I said that he was allowed as his mum let him
but I am not as nice and I don't allow you to draw on your body.) My dd then
said that he should be drawing on paper only. I then replied and said he
probley does and that those drawings on his legs are special ones. She said
she was special and she wanted to draw on her legs as well. We then got
served so I never had to say anything to her and then the guy left anyway.

I'm now wondering
How do you explain to a child what tattoo's are and why some people have
them ?
And how to explain so you child knows the difference between drawing on legs
and tattoo's on legs ?
And what should I have replied ?

I wonder if we see another guy or girl with tattoo's on there legs or arms
what dd is going to ask or say. Or what she might try to embarrass me with
again

Nic
3 1/2 yo dd
11 mo boy

Old December 17th 03, 01:29 PM
Mary Ann Tuli

Nic wrote:
[...]

Tattoos are a type of body art. Some *grown-ups* have them because they
think they look nice.

And how to explain so you child knows the difference between drawing on legs
and tattoo's on legs ?

Be truthful. A tattoo is drawn using a needle and ink. It can HURT. It
does not come off without alot of difficutly. This is why only grown-ups
are allowed to have them. They can look nice and if an adult decides
they want one then that's fine. A child can't have one because they are
still growing.

And what should I have replied ?

I wonder if we see another guy or girl with tattoo's on there legs or arms
what dd is going to ask or say. Or what she might try to embarrass me with
again

THB, I think your answer was more embarassing than your dd's. She didn't
know that
there was another way to draw on your body. I think most adults (whether
they have a tattoo, or whether than have one leg, or a speech
impediment) would prefer that a parent explain truthfully rather than
shy away. A simple, truthful explanation rather than an embarassed brush
over is more likely to placate a curious child.

I would have said
"yes, that man has some pictures on his body. They are called tattoos
and are a sort of picture that some grown-ups have. Only grown-ups have
them because they use a special needle to draw the picture."

If there were more questions and a keeness to have a tattoo I would talk
about children's ones which a child can wear to a party.

Mary Ann

Old December 17th 03, 01:38 PM
Ty

Just tell your kid that tattoos are permanent and will never wash off, and
some adults get them but they are only for adults. Leave his mother out of
it lol
Marie

Old December 17th 03, 03:09 PM
user

FWIW, why don't you let her draw on herself, or try washable kids tatoos?
All of my kids have tried it at one time or another. It's fun, and it washes
off, so what's the big deal?

Old December 17th 03, 03:45 PM
Denise

[...]

My husband and I both have tattoos. The girls noticed them very early on.
We usually just explain that they are special paintings on our body that we
got when we were grown up. I do let my kids make their own tattoos on
themselves with markers sometimes, and I do buy them temporary tattoos. Its
a good lesson in permenancy for a child.

Old December 17th 03, 03:53 PM
Sophie

I'm now wondering
How do you explain to a child what tattoo's are and why some people have
them ?
And how to explain so you child knows the difference between drawing on

legs
and tattoo's on legs ?
And what should I have replied ?

I wonder if we see another guy or girl with tattoo's on there legs or arms
what dd is going to ask or say. Or what she might try to embarrass me with
again

Nic
3 1/2 yo dd
11 mo boy

Hhmm, tough one. My husband has tattoos and it took quite a while for the
kids to even say anything or seem to notice them (and they are visible in
short sleeves). They're just art/pictures/drawings that he likes and wanted
them on his skin forever. The kids have never equated tattoos with drawing
on themselves.

I would not have said his mom allowed him to draw on himself. That's not
what tattoos are.

Her questions shouldn't be embarrassing to you. She's young, she's curious.
If questions about something like tattoos embarrasses you, what will you say
when she asks why that person is in a wheelchair, or doesn't have an
arm/leg/finger/eye/whatever??

And I've noticed often kids don't even want a long answer, if they even want
one at all. They're sometimes just making observations out loud.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old December 17th 03, 05:24 PM
Hillary Israeli

*
*Be truthful. A tattoo is drawn using a needle and ink. It can HURT. It
*does not come off without alot of difficutly. This is why only grown-ups
*are allowed to have them. They can look nice and if an adult decides
*they want one then that's fine. A child can't have one because they are
*still growing.

There also exist religious prohibitions against tattoos for some people.
FWIW.

*I would have said
*"yes, that man has some pictures on his body. They are called tattoos
*and are a sort of picture that some grown-ups have. Only grown-ups have
*them because they use a special needle to draw the picture."

Sounds good to me

Old December 17th 03, 06:49 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Nic wrote:

[...]

I would just explain as best as I can that tattoo's are "paintings" put
on the skin using *needles* (DD hates needles) and that they are
permanent. People have them because they want them. Then I would add,
only grown-ups can have tattoos (haven't a clue if this is true).

And how to explain so you child knows the difference between drawing on legs
and tattoo's on legs ?

Drawings wash off.

And what should I have replied ?

I wonder if we see another guy or girl with tattoo's on there legs or arms
what dd is going to ask or say. Or what she might try to embarrass me with
again

I'm always embarrassed by DD's questions and she had lots of them. But
what I've discovered is that most people are not embarrassed by DD, in
fact, they like a curious child (if she keeps the questions to a
minimum). Mostly, I've asked DD to ask the person her question. So, in
your case, she would approach the guy and ask *HIM* tatto questions.

Jeanne
Old December 17th 03, 08:08 PM
Nevermind

I'm now wondering
How do you explain to a child what tattoo's are and why some people have
them ?
And how to explain so you child knows the difference between drawing on legs
and tattoo's on legs ?
And what should I have replied ?

I wonder if we see another guy or girl with tattoo's on there legs or arms
what dd is going to ask or say. Or what she might try to embarrass me with
again

I can't really relate to the embarrassment in this case. People get
tattoos voluntarily and I think they're usually proud of them, so it's
no problem for a child to notice them. (As opposed to a child saying
"Look at the fat lady!" or "what's wrong with that boy?" (e.g., about
someone with a deformity or Down's syndrome)etc.)

I'd have just said "it's called a tattoo. Only grownups get them.
Artists draw them on grownups' skin. Isn't that neat?" (Even though I
don't usually like tattoos I see on people out and about.) Later,
perhaps in the car, I'd have said, "You remmeber that man with the
tattoos? Well, I just want to be sure you know that he didn't draw
them on himself, but he went to a store where an artists drew them on
for him. So, don't try to draw one on yourself. if you want to pretend
to get a tattoo, ask mommy and I will buy you pretend a tattoo or
apint your face for you or [whatever]." I would probably also remind
the child to try to never talk about someone or their appearance in
their presence -- just a good general rule of thumb.

Fpr truly embarrasing situations, I usually have said, "We'll talk
about this as soon as we leave the store. Sshh about it now." And then
explain whatever it is matter-of-factly when we're away from the
person. I then tell the child to never talk about someone in front of
them or point at anyone, but rather to wait until we walk away and
then ask me. (Of course, that's something you have to remind them
about for a few years.)