Need help with nightime training!

Old December 17th 03, 06:00 PM
laurie

Default Need help with nightime training!

I know this has been brought up before, but I'm not sure if I should keep up
nighttime training or give up for now. Jessica has been potty trained during
the day for 4 months and has done great. I suspected she was ready for night
training a while ago but there was a ton of change going on with moving, etc
that I didn't push it. A couple of weeks ago she really wanted to try (her
cousin down the road doesn't wear diapers to bed) so we tried. It's been 12
days and of those 12 nights, she's been dry I think 5 of them. I do have her
potty in her room and she's gotten up and used that a couple of times. Thing
is, she really *wants* to wear undies at night. Should I keep it up, since she
obviously has the ability to stay dry, or should I chuck it for now and come
back in a few months?

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years and
Christopher, 8 months
Old December 17th 03, 06:21 PM
Jenn

In article ,
ospam (laurie) wrote:

[...]

there really isn't such a thing as 'night time training' -- they either
hold it or they don't. The fact that she wets most nights suggests that
she doeesn't have the ability to stay dry all night yet. This is caused
by hormones that allow the maturing person to concentrate urine at night
like adults do. kids who don't generate that hormone yet, produce
volume at night and generally wet.

Since she wants to try -- I'd stick with it a little longer and see if
it gets better. If not, move to pullups at night and don't make a big
deal of it for a few months and then try again.

our son was day trained at 27 months but he was always wet in the
morning so we just left him in diapers at night. And then one day he
wanted to sleep over and not take the diaper and so we let him [with
host Mom's agreement ] No problem. It turned out that the diaper was
cueing wetting for him and without it, he was dry. He had NO accidents
at night ever.
Old December 17th 03, 06:45 PM
AGreen1209

Should I keep it up, since she
obviously has the ability to stay dry, or should I chuck it for now and come
back in a few months?

laurie

Well, with Elijah we just used pull-ups and called them "night-time underwear".
When he'd gone through a whole pack of them (30) without ever being wet, so he
was dry a month through, I put a vinyl cover on his mattress and he started
wearing regular underwear to bed. It's been a few weeks, and no accidents.

If she's only been dry 5 nights out of 12, I'd go back to pull-ups or diapers
at night. The pullups worked better for us, he could put them on himself and
he loved that they had Buzz Lightyear on them.

Amanda

Old December 17th 03, 07:52 PM
Lejla/Lyla

"laurie" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps if she is so keen you could try letting her wear undies at night
(for as long as you can bear to change everything after "accidents"), as she
so much wants to be like her cousin.

This is not going to help with your questions, but it is curious that the
situation with our 37 month DD is opposite. She is dry at night and not
day-trained. We started potty training (with a soft cushion for the loo)
half a year ago but daytime she seems to be too busy until it is too late,
while at night she is dry and as soon as she wakes up she insists on running
to the loo. So after two months of dry diapers we them off at night with no
night-time "accidents" at all. However, she still wears them at the
day-care, although weekends we manage to go almost without any diapers and
any "accidents."

hope this helps

--
Lejla/Lyla
DD 02 Nov 2000

Old December 17th 03, 08:42 PM
JennP

"laurie" wrote in message

A couple of weeks ago she really wanted to try (her
cousin down the road doesn't wear diapers to bed) so we tried. It's been

12
days and of those 12 nights, she's been dry I think 5 of them. I do have

her
potty in her room and she's gotten up and used that a couple of times.

I would go back to pull ups for a while longer. My rule of thumb so far is
that if the number of wet nights outweighs the dry ones then they are not
ready. We've given trial runs a few times and have gone back to pull ups at
night. Recently, he has been waking up to pee, so I think we are close.

Thing
is, she really *wants* to wear undies at night.

Matthew wants it too, but after a few miserable nights he finally told me to
put him back in pull ups. Being wet was making him miserable and he really
wasn't liking waking up soaked in the middle of the night. She's still
pretty young. HTH

--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old December 17th 03, 09:17 PM
Sophie

there really isn't such a thing as 'night time training' -- they either
hold it or they don't.

I don't know about that. My oldest was dry in the day for 8 months when we
had our 3rd child and decided since we'd be getting up at night with him,
we'd also get her up to pee in the night. If she had a diaper on at night,
she peed in it. As soon as we put her in underwear at night, she was dry at
night (with rare accidents).

Old December 17th 03, 09:37 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Sophie" wrote:

there really isn't such a thing as 'night time training' -- they either
hold it or they don't.

I don't know about that. My oldest was dry in the day for 8 months when we
had our 3rd child and decided since we'd be getting up at night with him,
we'd also get her up to pee in the night. If she had a diaper on at night,
she peed in it. As soon as we put her in underwear at night, she was dry at
night (with rare accidents).

as I said in the very same message and which you then deleted --
sometimes a diaper acts as a cue to set -- if that is the case, then
simply putting the kid in pajamas and not diapers will take care of the
'training' [getting a kid up in the middle of the night to pee becausse
you are up is not 'training']
Old December 17th 03, 10:08 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

"laurie" wrote in message
[...]

My daughter was day trained by the time she was two years old. But she
wasn't night-time trained/ready until she was 4 years old. I would just
keep her in pull-ups until she wakes up dry a few days in a row. Just
explain to her that once she stays dry say three nights in a row then she
can wear undies at night.

Jeanne

OT - Potty training - can it be child-led? (xpost) Cathy Weeks General 40 November 21st 03 10:05 PM
Stop killing Innocent Puppies! (Petition) The Puppy Wizard General 0 October 10th 03 06:59 PM
Potty training tips mommyof3sons General 1 September 11th 03 09:37 PM
potty training lynn General 8 August 6th 03 10:37 PM
Frustrated - Potty training Infocus General 8 July 16th 03 05:04 PM