Planning to formula feed

Old July 9th 03, 06:40 AM
KC

Default Planning to formula feed

I don't run around judging who is and isn't suitable candidates for
parenting. In the absence of people planning to break laws I mind my
own business. Most people have the natural drive to procreate, and
them planning to formula feed would not make me want to keep them from
fulfilling their drive and pursuing their happiness.

KC

"Lauren" wrote in message ...
Just interested in opinions here on the point of planning to formula feed
even before a baby is born (or perhaps even conceived).

Unplanned pregnancies and exceptional circumstances aside, I can't help but
wonder that if it is too much trouble for a parent to even plan to attempt
to breastfeed (or perhaps even plan not to continue after the first couple
of days breastfeeding) then maybe they either aren't ready or aren't
suitable candidates for parenting. Am not sure yet if my own feelings change
on this subject when the parent in question is under the impression that
formula is 'almost as good'.

Another question is, does your opinion change if there is pressure from
family and friends not to breastfeed?

One other thing, does anyone have any idea or sources of information that
might give some kind of estimate as to how many women plan not to breastfeed
and reasons given?

As it can be a sensitive subject to some, I wish to point out that this
isn't about parents who try to breastfeed and can't or have been told they
can't or have problems breastfeeding etc. Just the idea of 'planning' not to
breastfeed at all or past the first couple of days.

Hope I haven't offended anyone, just interested in what other people think
on the subject.

Old July 9th 03, 09:45 AM
Rosie

Most doctors will tell you (probably a CYA situation) that formula is

just
as good and most women believe their doctors.

Do docs REALLY still say this kind of thing?

Last WEEK my health visitor told me (because DD is not really eating solids)
that she will need vitamin drops now, because 'unfortunately your breastmilk
doesn't have the added nutrients and vitamins that follow-on formula would
have for her now'.

ROSIE

Old July 9th 03, 12:55 PM
Marion Baumgarten

breastfeeder . . . I need to do *something earthy* ;-)

As it can be a sensitive subject to some, I wish to point out that this
isn't about parents who try to breastfeed and can't or have been told they
can't or have problems breastfeeding etc. Just the idea of 'planning' not

breastfeed at all or past the first couple of days.

Yes . . . I understand. I reserve my negative judgment for women who are
able but will not. FF is such a lose/lose activity!

Beth

I just don't waste my energy judging other parents. Period. My daughter
is about to start HS- the formula fed kids don't have horns or anything.
Old July 9th 03, 01:36 PM
Belphoebe

"cshardie" wrote in message
. ..
Astromum wrote:
This comes down again to providing proper information. Magazines are

loaded
with ads on how easy it is to FF and only so many articles actually deal
with BF.

What we need to do is put out some world wide breastfeeding ads Do
the breastpump companies do ads? I've never seen one.

I've seen Avent ads. Some of them are for their bottles and sippy cups, but
the bottom of the page always features other products, including pumps.

One of my "if I had unlimited money" fantasies is to outmarket the formula
companies, with pro-BF print and TV ads and goodie bags for new moms (with
pumps, slings, lanolin, good info about bf, coupons for free LC sessions,
teeny "Got Breastmilk" t-shirts, etc.) to be distributed at hospitals.

Belphoebe

Old July 9th 03, 03:12 PM
Astromum

cshardie wrote:
Astromum wrote:

This comes down again to providing proper information. Magazines are
loaded
with ads on how easy it is to FF and only so many articles actually
deal with BF.

What we need to do is put out some world wide breastfeeding ads Do
the breastpump companies do ads? I've never seen one.

Come to think of it: I have never seen one. And it makes me wonder: in
order to buy my PIS I had to visit this lady (back in the Netherlands)
who was a Medela representative. She worked from home and was very
helpful, but she alone served almost the entire northern part of the
country when it came to pumps. Other brands were impossible to find.

Now, why wouldn't I be able to buy the pump in a baby store like all my
other baby items? If you see them there, wouldn't a mom-to-be be more
inclined to start thinking about breastfeeding and pumping? And why do
I have a choice of only 1, which is also quite expensive? Baby items
seem to come in all shapes, sizes, colours and prices, except for the
pump. Just put a bunch of them right next to the zillions of bottles
and formula that they sell...

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 9th 03, 03:16 PM
Karen Askey

In article , "Stephanie S"
writes:

Most doctors will tell you (probably a CYA situation) that formula is just
as good and most women believe their doctors.

Do docs REALLY still say this kind of thing? My OB and DS's ped BOTH were
strong advocates for nursing.

Granted, this doc was a plastic surgeon and not an ob or pediatrician, but when
I asked to get DS's tongue clipped for tongue tie he said no. When I expressed
my strong desire to nurse, he said that bottles were easier, anyway. His wife
had just given birth, too.

koa
Still nursing James, 02/06/01
EP'ing for Joey 04/02/03 (BiCP)

Old July 9th 03, 04:16 PM
P. G. Chavez

A&G&K wrote and I snipped:

I would hope that women who plan to ff are doing so due to a lack of
information on the great benefits of bf. I believe that bf is a forgotten
art and that education of it benefits would do a lot to change people's
perspectives.
A case in point:
One of my good friends always used to describe bf as gross and bf babies as
parasites. She told me that it was "OK" for me to bf my daughter for 1
year, but that more than that would be wrong (not that I pay that much
mind). She had a phobia about babies in general and would shake if I asked
her to hold DD for me while I went to the loo ... She has always also had a
"thing" about her breasts as she thinks they are too small and *always* has
something to say about my larger breasts.
BUT all that has changed and I'm happy to say that she is bf her 3 week old
DD and plans to continue. I'm happily being bored to tears with her endless
gushing about her beautiful new DD's bf antics and her offers of teaching me
how to bf whilst lying down (an art which I can do, but find incredibly
uncomfortable due to my bust size).
Part of the reason for her changed ideals is that I managed to slip her a
few good books on the benefits of bf when she got pregnant and subtly
encouraged her to attend an ABA course on bf whilst she was pg. ... and now
we behold the changed woman who is the picture of bf motherhood and espouses
the benefits to one and all. It brings a tear to my eye as I stifle laughter
when I hear her repeating my own words of wisdom back to me.

... and for the record, I consider formula to be almost adequate rather than
almost "as good". In my opinion its what you use to feed a baby when every
attempt at bf has failed.
Cheers
Amanda

A huge (virtual) pat on the back for you, Amanda!!! What a wonderful
thing you did for your friend and her baby.

-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]
Old July 9th 03, 04:59 PM
Jenn

In article , Belphoebe
writes
One of my "if I had unlimited money" fantasies is to outmarket the formula
companies, with pro-BF print and TV ads and goodie bags for new moms (with
pumps, slings, lanolin, good info about bf, coupons for free LC sessions,
teeny "Got Breastmilk" t-shirts, etc.) to be distributed at hospitals.

Belphoebe

You too huh? I have weird dreams about going onto daytime TV and being
interviewed about the new BF add campaign . . .
--
Jenn
UK
Old July 9th 03, 07:55 PM
Stephanie S

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article , Stephanie S
writes
SNIP
Some women are squicked out about breastfeeding so they don't want to

do
it.
Some go back to work relatively soon, so they don't want to bother.

Lots
of
women don't breastfeed because they simply do not understand that it is
important. Their doctors are not giving them the proper information. I

think
more women would breastfeed if their doctors were more

pro-breastfeeding.
Most doctors will tell you (probably a CYA situation) that formula is

just
as good and most women believe their doctors.

Do docs REALLY still say this kind of thing?

Mine asked me why I was bothering to try to get ds#1 to nurse (rather
than take EBM due to prematurely) as formula would be easier, and was
fine.

When I finally got him to nurse exclusively at six months she asked how
soon I would be weaning, as it was 'gone past time for formula to be
just as good', this in the UK, in 1999!

--
Jenn
UK

That would cause me to find a new doc.

Old July 9th 03, 07:55 PM
Stephanie S

"Rosie" wrote in message

Most doctors will tell you (probably a CYA situation) that formula is

just
as good and most women believe their doctors.

Do docs REALLY still say this kind of thing?

Last WEEK my health visitor told me (because DD is not really eating

solids)
that she will need vitamin drops now, because 'unfortunately your

breastmilk
doesn't have the added nutrients and vitamins that follow-on formula would
have for her now'.

ROSIE

WHAT??!!??! Did you call her on this? (Incidentally, what is a 'health
visitor?')