Easier?!?

Old July 9th 03, 08:45 PM

Default Easier?!?

"Stephanie S" wrote in message
t...

"E" wrote in message
lots of snips...

Mama: No, that's OK. Formula is much easier anyway. I just gave up

it
wasn't worth it.

OK, my stupid question for the day (remembering that I am LAZY, and

don't
do
something if I don't have to...)
How is ff easier than bf???!??
Edith

I would venture a guess that ffing is easier than LEARNING to bf.

i had a harder time remembering how to bf than i did for my first two 15/18
years ago. i just stuck them there and it worked (very lucky, i guess). it
might be more difficult for me to remember how much of what to mix, and how
warm to get it, etc. (but this is me).
the other thing that never seems to get mentioned here is the other end of
the equation (pardon the pun)
ff diapers smell horrid! i have been known to gag while changing them. i
actually enjoy the smell of my DD's diapers...
Edith

Old July 9th 03, 08:59 PM
Dawn Lawson

Astromum wrote:

Elizabeth Reid wrote:
lots of snips...

even more snips

It really depends on your situation. I think there are combinations
of circumstances that would make one or the other easier or
harder.

I agree, but many of these circumstances are within our personal
control, although we don't like to admit that. People tend to stick
to habits and circumstances they are used to, since they know what
to expect. Making a change requires motivation and effort. IMO a baby
is the best possible reason to make that effort, and too many women
(either out of ignorance or convenience) use lame excuses not to.

Hear hear.
Trying to decide if I should pro-actively email my cousin and beg her to
reconsider her already made choice to ff her unconcieved child. At least
to START with nursing, since she can't go back to that and can always
switch to formula.

She was trying to figure out why her friend wouldn't go out with her and
hubby, but would go out with her bfding friends. Frankly, after only one
conversation with her wrt nursing, and babies, I understand why
completely. She sneers at any mention that breast is best, doesn't
"believe in" the statistics and fact wrt the benefits of breastmilk, and
finds the idea of nursing to be too inconvenient (despite seeing me NIP
all over the place simply and easily) to bother with. (I pointed out, as
calmly as my pounding adrenalin filled body could manage, that it wasn't
like the Tooth Fairy, or Father Christmas, and belief had nothing to do
with the actual facts of teh benefits of nursing)

Dawn, finding this is really bothering me today

Old July 9th 03, 09:13 PM
Astromum

Dawn Lawson wrote:

snips
Dawn, finding this is really bothering me today
--

Yes, it can be tough when people simply do not want to listen,
or even try to. Leave her be for a while. You can always keep

Personally I get freaked every time I hear the 'another can feed
the baby' excuse from FF parents. Like DH never gave DS EBM....
But they will always find a way around your arguments, so I decided
to put my energy into people who do try...

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 10th 03, 02:23 AM
Elizabeth Reid

Astromum wrote in message ...
Dawn Lawson wrote:

snips
Dawn, finding this is really bothering me today
--

Yes, it can be tough when people simply do not want to listen,
or even try to. Leave her be for a while. You can always keep
praying for a little miracle to happen when she does get pregnant.

Personally I get freaked every time I hear the 'another can feed
the baby' excuse from FF parents. Like DH never gave DS EBM....
But they will always find a way around your arguments, so I decided
to put my energy into people who do try...

Again, a partner feeding EBM depends on the ability to pump
effectively. Not everyone has that, and that's one of the
factors that I mentioned that might effect one's perception of
ease.

Beth
Sam 8/16/2002
Old July 10th 03, 05:03 AM
Di

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:45:33 GMT, Dawn Lawson
wrote:

And why does the bottle have to have formula? I can see MAYBE a bottle of EBM.

This is a good point, and very valid. DD has had bottles but only ever
water (post 9 months) or EBM (from birth). Twice DH has given DD a
bottle of EBM to give me a break (both times I was dealing with
mastitis and had been feeding DD for at least 1 hour - he basically
got a bottle together, ran me a hot bath and said - go get in bath
I'll feed her ).

Di
Old July 10th 03, 08:01 AM
CY

Don't even get me started on that question. It's all perception. I find
that generally (though not ALWAYS) people who have *supply issues* or *poor
latch* continue to have these problems because they don't seek proper help.
Many people rely on laymen to resolve these issues and don't want to pay for
the services of an IBCLC, or mistakenly believe that they cannot afford it
(compare the cost of an hour with a IBCLC to a month's worth of formula,
more doctors visits, time off work to care for sicklier kids etc etc etc).
Or, when the LC says "rent a pump" or "take this herb" or "pump every two
hours till your supply improves" or whatever, THEN they think FF is easier.
And yes then there's the fact that you can hand the baby off to someone else
to give a bottle. Some people who are not committed to bf have the attitude
that if it's not easy, it's not worth it and while there are truly some
mamas out there who have genuine problems and have given it ALL they have,
they are few and far between. Most just feel that for whatever reason it's
"just not worth it". It makes me sad that their babies aren't worth it. I
see this a LOT in my job (and I also see the poor mama's that come in,
desperate to feed their babies and work with the IBCLC's for WEEKS and they
are SO incredibly happy when (in the majority of cases) they make it. A
good IBCLC can make all the difference. That's just my two cents.

Didn't realize I was such a lactivist till I came here!!

CY

Old July 10th 03, 12:46 PM
andrea

I couldn't imagine not breastfeeding my baby, I love the bonding of it.Also
I can have my hand free to read a book, or type ).
I formula fed baby #1 for 5 days, as my partner told me breastfeeding was
disgusting! I was only 18 so went with it, until on the 5th day I thought,
"To hell with him!". I put Peter to my breast and it was such a warm feeling
that passed between us - something that I hadn't experienced with formula
feeding.
I couldn't FF, I don't have time for all the hassles, I have 5 kids, and
it's far easier to pop Kamron onto my breast, it's the right temp, and it's
free. Most of all if the baby had a choice, I am sure babies would vote
breastmilk everytime!

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 4

Old July 10th 03, 03:21 PM
Astromum

Elizabeth Reid wrote:

If something requires "motivation and effort", it's not
easier I don't think.

IME this is a major misconception. I have found in my life
that some effort can make things a lot easier later on. It's
a bit like grocery shopping: I hate making a list, but since
it helps me to keep the expenses under control and minimizes
the time I spend in the store, the effort makes things easier.

Now if they would just say 'I don't want to go through all
the trouble', or something like 'that is too much effort for
us', I could at least respect them for being honest with me.
I've heard 'DH can feed the baby' just a few times too often
to believe that all these women are incapable of pumping...

Old July 10th 03, 06:01 PM
Elizabeth Reid

Astromum wrote in message ...
Elizabeth Reid wrote:

If something requires "motivation and effort", it's not
easier I don't think.

IME this is a major misconception. I have found in my life
that some effort can make things a lot easier later on. It's
a bit like grocery shopping: I hate making a list, but since
it helps me to keep the expenses under control and minimizes
the time I spend in the store, the effort makes things easier.

So your feeling is that breastfeeding is more effort initially,
but less effort as time goes on? Again, I think that might
be true for a SAH mom, but it wasn't true for me after I went
back to work and it might not be true for other WOH moms.

Now if they would just say 'I don't want to go through all
the trouble', or something like 'that is too much effort for
us', I could at least respect them for being honest with me.
I've heard 'DH can feed the baby' just a few times too often
to believe that all these women are incapable of pumping...

I don't know, it's not that hard for me to believe, but then
I'm one of those women in a sense. Not incapable of pumping by
any means, but incapable of pumping enough to be able to come
close to equaling the amount the baby would eat during the same
period, so that pumping is always a losing battle. I wouldn't
have been able to have my husband feed the baby at night with
EBM without getting up at the same time to pump, thus defeating
the purpose (and providing less total milk in the bargain).

How is "that [breastfeeding] is too much effort for us" different
from "formula feeding is easier"?

Beth
Sam 8/16/2002
Old July 10th 03, 06:41 PM
KC

I think you're dealing with the second issue of giving up, but if we
are just talking about which is easier, then dealing with supply
issues is not easier than formula feeding - trust me on this as I have
fed bottles of formula and I have bf and I have pumped. When supply
is low, the easiest way to get enough food into the kid is to ff.
That is not to say that it is the best way, or that I have given up on
bf, just that in that case ff is easier. I did give up on bf with my
first because I had supply issues and I had to go back to work and I
didn't know all the things about building supply like I do now, and I
didn't give up with my second because I didn't need to go back to
work. Because of my past experience I do have empathy for people who
can't make it work and end up finding formula easier. I do agree that
there are probably alot of people who don't give it a good try before
giving up.

KC