9 week old strains on gas/BM

Old April 7th 08, 05:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Greg R

Default 9 week old strains on gas/BM

We have a 9 week old son (3 weeks corrected age) who weighs just under
13 lbs. He always puts on quite a show when pushing a BM or gas. It
looks pretty painful!! He grunts, flails, and cries sometimes. This
typically occurs within an hour of eating and will last 5-20 minutes.
After he seems content. He is not constipated and has normal stool
color, composition, and volume. He was diagnosed with infant reflux
and has rice cereal in his bottle per dr recommendation (4 tsp to 4oz
breast milk). He did this grunting etc before the rice cereal
introduction so I'm not convinced that's the reason (we only mix the
rice cereal every few feedings). But I'm reading that rice cereal
shouldn't be introduced until 4-6 months. We've asked our dr. several
times about this and she says it's normal, some babies just put on
more of a show. Are we being paranoid first time parents, or is this
normal?
Old April 7th 08, 06:04 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Unless you see other kinds of trouble, such as blood in the stools,
rashes, failure to thrive, etc. then I'm pleased to say that you're
probably just being over-anxious parents. Some infants DO put on a
great display when they're exercising their bowels. I think they do it
for fun :-) After all, they're still too little to play tag.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.

Old April 7th 08, 06:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

It probably is for show, however, rice is constipating and all three of my
girls were constipated on rice. I used oatmeal instead, but I didn't give it
in a bottle for reflux.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old April 7th 08, 07:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Greg R

"Greg R" wrote in message

[...]

He shows no signs of constipation, but by watching him really strain
and grunt to pass a BM you'd think he was. It literally wakes him up
(and us) when he does this. It's especialy hard when he gets worked
up and crying.
Old April 7th 08, 10:04 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Greg R wrote:
[...]

In the absence of other problems, I'd say paranoid first
time parents ;-) Which is not to say you aren't in excellent
company! He's still very young. It's likely to go away in a
while on its own.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old April 7th 08, 10:13 PM posted to misc.kids
Akuvikate

On Apr 7, 9:46 am, Greg R wrote:
We've asked our dr. several
times about this and she says it's normal, some babies just put on
more of a show. Are we being paranoid first time parents, or is this
normal?

As I pediatrician I've been reassuring parents for some time that it's
normal, and I now have a 2 1/2 week old who does it too. Bear in mind
that until 6 weeks ago, his intestines didn't really do much -- he
peed aplenty, but no bowel movements until after birth. My theory is
that some babies find the sensations of air in the intestines and
passing bowel movements to be unpleasant. After a few months or
years, it becomes part of the background of daily life and no one
notices them day-to-day. But this is all new to him now.

As for the rice cereal, if you're using it for reflux you're using it
more as a medicine than a food. Introducing rice cereal for food is
best done at 4-6 months. If he has reflux (as many preemies do) and
keeping him upright post feeds, smaller more frequent feedings, and
good burping don't take care of it, then it's perfectly reasonable to
thicken some feeds with rice cereal.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, four and a half and three quarters
and Little Dude, 3/19/08
Old April 8th 08, 02:32 AM posted to misc.kids
Woolstitcher

"Greg R" wrote in message
We have a 9 week old son (3 weeks corrected age) who weighs just under
13 lbs. He always puts on quite a show when pushing a BM or gas. It
looks pretty painful!! He grunts, flails, and cries sometimes. This
typically occurs within an hour of eating and will last 5-20 minutes.
After he seems content. He is not constipated and has normal stool
color, composition, and volume. He was diagnosed with infant reflux
and has rice cereal in his bottle per dr recommendation (4 tsp to 4oz
breast milk).

You need to find a new doc.