Oldtime Newbie :o) (Longish sorry!)

Old July 30th 03, 10:36 PM
Jinxie

Default Oldtime Newbie :o) (Longish sorry!)

Hi everyone!

Been lurking here since late April when my partner & I found out
were expecting. What they say is apparently true about the Atkins
diet! lol Hi Carol Ann!! )

I'm due in mid November, or whenever the Ultrasound doc & my OB get
their dates on a similar schedule. One says November 16th the other
says November 2nd. I just figure he'll get here when he's ready.
I'll be 38 by the time he shows up & i've been waiting to post here
until most of the testing was over. Apparently when they see numbers
over 35 on your chart they have a tendency to wig out on you. Except
for a fasting blood sugar count late in August (the one hour one I
think) i've passed all the tests with flying colors. I turned down
the amnio, but had all of the others that they could possibly think to
poke me for. lol I kept telling them "I may be old but he's FINE!",
but they need to see for themselves apparently! He's a he & his name
will be Kiran Darshan Singh V**. Rule of thumb being if you have a
short last name the first name should be longer, or something like
that. My partner is a Sikh. I noticed someone else was looking for
an Asian Indian name as well. Kiran can be both Gaelic & Indian. )
Best of both our worlds is what we tried to find. He will be called
Ki. We also went thru any & all nicknames that he could possibly be
teased with. My oldest got a bit annoyed with me for that. lol

I have a daughter that just turned 17 who wants to go into the labor
room with me & I want her to go in, but i'm afraid of scaring her
unless I get an epidural, or something to cut down on my pain. I also
have a 14 year old son that said thanx but no thanx i'll be in the
waiting room with my gameboy, call me when you're done! I had an
epidural with my first & only a shot of demerol? with my second. Both
are from my now defunct 16 year marriage. Been divorced two years now
& we're all happier for it.

Ki is very, VERY active & apparently aspires to be in Riverdance
when he's older from the way he bops around all the time. Either that
or he really has to go potty! ) Except for being out of breath a
lot even just bending down to tie my shoe (i'm wearing sandals now) &
massive ligament pain in my lower abdomen everything is great. My
mother was almost 42 when she had my youngest brother who is 5 months
older than my daughter. He has autism & is severely deaf. He has an
extra Y. My sister has a son that is autistic as well, but the
geneticists have determined it's from my step-fathers side of the
family. I was tested for fragile X & my alleles were repeating 49
times. They consider that the "gray area". They said they've never
seen that change or cause an effect in a birth. It's something like
59 + or - 4 for that to happen. If you made it this far "hi!" lol

We let our family help with our name picking & set up a page for
suggestions. I think the first name is spelled wrong though.
http://brandence.com/baby/

We also found a nice page on birth/naming/baptism practices for
different religions.
http://re-xs.ucsm.ac.uk/re/passage/birth.htm

Finally........here's Ki. )
http://brandence.com/babypics/

We have an appointment around the end of August to have a 3D of his
face put on CD for us. We're very excited & can't wait to meet him.

Take care all!

Jinxie / Brandy

Jessica (Jessie) 22-June-86
Russell (CJ) 08-Feb-89
Kiran (Ki) edd 16-Nov-03
also assorted kids of the four-footed variety

Old July 30th 03, 11:07 PM
Carol Ann

:: Hi everyone!
::
:: Been lurking here since late April when my partner & I found out
:: were expecting. What they say is apparently true about the Atkins
:: diet! lol Hi Carol Ann!! )

Hiya, Jinxie!

It must be true! Bridget on the ASDLC newsgroup (also I believe in her
40's) is also pregnant.

:: I'm due in mid November, or whenever the Ultrasound doc & my OB get
:: their dates on a similar schedule.

Awesome a very nice time to celebrate!

::One says November 16th the other
:: says November 2nd. I just figure he'll get here when he's ready.
:: I'll be 38 by the time he shows up & i've been waiting to post here
:: until most of the testing was over. Apparently when they see numbers
:: over 35 on your chart they have a tendency to wig out on you. Except
:: for a fasting blood sugar count late in August (the one hour one I
:: think) i've passed all the tests with flying colors. I turned down
:: the amnio, but had all of the others that they could possibly think
:: to poke me for. lol

I would like to know how soon I can be tested for abnormalities.

::I kept telling them "I may be old but he's
:: FINE!", but they need to see for themselves apparently! He's a he &
:: his name will be Kiran Darshan Singh V**.

Beautiful name!

snip

::He will be called Ki.

Is that pronounced Kee or Kigh?

snip

[...]

Hello! I'm so glad I read your message. I'm still in shock about finding
out that I am pregnant. I just can't believe it!!!

[...]

Totally nice to meet you! Love the pictures.

~Carol Ann
www.bestinatlanta.com
www.lowcarblosers.com

Old July 31st 03, 12:46 AM
Jinxie

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:07:15 GMT, "Carol Ann"
wrote:
snipped
*-*
*-*Hiya, Jinxie!
*-*
*-*It must be true! Bridget on the ASDLC newsgroup (also I believe in
her
*-*40's) is also pregnant.
*-*
LOL that's great news!

snipped
*-*
*-*Awesome a very nice time to celebrate!
*-*
I think we'll be eating OUT for Thanksgiving this year! lol

snipped
*-*
*-*I would like to know how soon I can be tested for abnormalities.
*-*
I'm not sure if there's any real timetable or not on some of them. My
first appointment was at almost 11 weeks IIRC & they just gave me lab
slips on my way out & a map to the lab where the tests would be done.
lol Don't let yourself stew over it though you'll go nutso.

snipped
*-*:: his name will be Kiran Darshan Singh V**.
*-*
*-*Beautiful name!
*-*
Thank You!

*-*snip
*-*
*-*::He will be called Ki.
*-*
*-*Is that pronounced Kee or Kigh?
*-*
I've had a hard time explaining the pronunciation online & Kigh didn't
occur to me! lol It'll be Kigh The Kiran is pronounced kEARan
though. My aunt says it sounds like someone with a bad New York
accent trying to say Karen, but my aunt has issues. ) lol

*-*snip
*-*
"hi!" lol
*-*
*-*Hello! I'm so glad I read your message. I'm still in shock about
finding
*-*out that I am pregnant. I just can't believe it!!!
*-*
Congratulations & i'm glad someone I kinda know is here now! )
You must be very happy.
snipped

*-*
*-*Totally nice to meet you! Love the pictures.
*-*
Same to you & thank you. ) This group is really nice & has a lot of
people that can answer a lot of questions. I'm not really one of
those cause I think all of my brain function has dropped to my belly.
lol I have to keep lists of everything or I just forget about it
totally. I think someone called it placenta brain or something like
that. Oh well as long as he does not get my math ability which is
non existent then it's all good. lol Glad you're here!!!!

*-*~Carol Ann
*-*www.bestinatlanta.com
*-*www.lowcarblosers.com
*-*

Old July 31st 03, 06:06 PM
Em

"Jinxie" wrote in message
I'm due in mid November, or whenever the Ultrasound doc & my OB get
their dates on a similar schedule. One says November 16th the other
says November 2nd. I just figure he'll get here when he's ready.
I'll be 38 by the time he shows up & i've been waiting to post here
until most of the testing was over.

snip

Welcome to the group! Congratulations on your pregnancy. I looked at your
ultrasound pix and was quite charmed--it is so fun to see what they're
actually *doing* in there!

your daughter attending the birth. I was present for the births of all
three of my younger siblings. For the last one I was almost 11, so it is a
fairly clear memory. They were all unmedicated homebirths and Mom did make a
lot of noise! I think if you and the support people around make sure your
daughter knows what kinds of sounds and sights to expect and that you
approach your birth as a natural, healthy event, you daughter won't be
alarmed by the experience. I would suggest maybe having her watch a video
such as Gentle Birth Choices, that is fairly explicit and also very
affirming about the *normal* process of birth (vs. Baby Story on tv).

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old August 1st 03, 05:42 PM
Jinxie

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:06:26 GMT, "Em"
wrote:

snip
*-*
*-*Welcome to the group! Congratulations on your pregnancy. I looked
at your
*-*ultrasound pix and was quite charmed--it is so fun to see what
they're
*-*actually *doing* in there!
*-*
Thank you. I love the one of him with his knees on his forehead. I
was the third patient that day that had to reschedule the rest of the
u/s because the babies were playing around. lol The doc was quite
exasperated although he was laughing at Ki too. )

[...]

I'm going to my local library later today when it cools off a bit to
see if they have any selections of tapes or books for the kids to
watch. If not i'll ask the hospital. We're still debating the lamaze
classes, but they have a family tour available for the hospital. I
still have to do that & register. The time is flying & i'm running
out of it! lol Thanks for the info i'll google that tape!

Take care,

Old August 1st 03, 05:50 PM
Jinxie

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:42:02 -0400, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

*-*Em wrote:
*-*
snip
*-* Absolutely. My sons were at my recent birth (homebirth, so
*-*unmedicated), and they're 8.5yo and almost 6yo. Neither were
*-*traumatized in the slightest. They were very fascinated and very
*-*glad to have been there. I think kids really take their cues
*-*from the other adults around, particularly the father or other
*-*trusted friends or relatives. If they are coping well, the kids
*-*know that everything is just fine, even if things are noisy or
*-*hectic.
*-*
*-*Best wishes,
*-*Ericka

She would have been at the birth of her little brother when she was 2
1/2, but they thought he was a hydro baby, so other than my aunt
(hubby at the time was stationed in S. Korea) they wouldn't let anyone
in in case there was a problem. Turns out he just had a big head
compared to his other body measurements the u/s had picked up. A VERY
big head! lol My partner will be there this time & i'm hoping my mom
will be able to make it too, but she lives out of state. She was at
my daughters birth. I've taken her to most of my doc appts. & she
likes those, but i'm mostly doing it so she can get familiar with the
doc. So far so good although she's glared at her a couple of times
when she could tell I was uncomfortable. lol

Old August 1st 03, 06:06 PM
Jinxie

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:29:05 -0700, "Circe" wrote:

*-*Ericka Kammerer wrote:
*-* Em wrote:
snip

*-*I agree with Ericka completely.
*-*
*-*My then 4.5 and 2.5yo were present at the birth of our third. They
did fine.
*-*(Their favorite cousin was also there, and with him around, Mom and
Dad
*-*might as well be chopped liver, so I think they hardly noticed that
I was
*-*working through labor.) I don't know that my daughter really
understood what
*-*was happening or that it even made much of an impression on her. My
son,
*-*however, was thrilled and excited. The next day, when one of the
nurses
*-*found out that our kids had been present for the birth, she asked
Julian
*-*whether he had been scared at all. His response was, "Nope.
Everything was
*-*under control."

We don't have any close family here, but that's an idea to think
about. We're already trying to fly my mom in, so maybe an aunt or
cousin would keep her mind off of it if it got too intense for her.
Although she KNOWS she has the option of stepping out knowing her she
wont. I told my son that he can go in as well if he wants, but he
said he'll be fine in the waiting room with his gameboy. lol It was
unfortunate timing on my part with a little help from his science
teacher. He had a sex ed class that day with a birthing video. lol
He came home entirely grossed out! I told him he could sit on the
couch in the corner with headphones on, but he wants to be no where
near it! lol We'll see what happens since he's brought it up a couple
of times since then.

Take care,

Jinxie / Brandy

Jessica (Jessie) 22-June-86
Russell (CJ) 08-Feb-89
Kiran (Ki) edd 16-Nov-03
also assorted kids of the four-footed variety

newbie with a question about swimming lessons suz General 9 May 4th 04 04:09 PM
Newbie to newsgroups, not to being a mom. DPB General (moderated) 8 March 30th 04 10:50 PM
Newbie question: Any good resources on pregnancy? Timberwolf Pregnancy 4 September 12th 03 09:50 PM
Re Newbie question andrea Pregnancy 0 July 24th 03 09:00 AM
Intro of a newbie Astromum Pregnancy 7 July 23rd 03 11:47 AM