Vending Machines in schools

Old July 8th 03, 07:12 PM
toto

Default Vending Machines in schools

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:28:23 GMT, "Byron Canfield"
wrote:

Pepsi and Coke still have bottled water and juice brands.

Yes, and how many students do you think will bother spending their
money on water or juice, versus the junky stuff??

Nan

It works for other schools, my daughter's included. You've made up your mind
and won't be confused by facts.

I think though it is probably dependent on having a closed campus.

At the high school my kids went to, the kids can go out for lunch
and their is a burger king, a mcdonald's and a KFC a few blocks
down the street and a grocery store even closer if they want to
just buy snack and junk food.

For the younger kids who cannot go off-campus, it will work, for
high school students. I doubt it unless we keep them from going
anywhere else and I am not in favor of closing campuses and
making teens prisoners for the entire school day as is done in
some places.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 8th 03, 07:50 PM
Joni Rathbun

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Donna Metler wrote:

"Byron Canfield" wrote in message
"Nan" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:01:37 GMT, "Byron Canfield"
wrote:

That last bit is my point exactly. It is not necessary to obtain

funding
from sources that damage the health of the children. Vending machines

can
vend healthy food and drink just as easily.

I maintain that it is necessary when the funding is lacking so sorely
from the other sources. Sad, but true.
Let's see..... We have the Pepsi Co or Coke Co coming to the schools
and saying, "we'll outfit your entire school with brand new computers
if we can put some vending machines in the cafeteria".
We don't have the local farmers coming in with apples and oranges, and
offering to upgrade the computers in exchange for allowing a fruit
stand.

Nan

And then you tell them: "Yes, that's all well and good; we accept your
offer. And here is the list of what we will allow you to stock in the
vending machines. Any deviation from the list will be cause for immediate
termination of power to the vending machines to prevent their further use

by
students until such time as the stock is made in conformance with the

list."

And CocaCola, at least, has no problem with this. In fact, since the price
on bottled water and juice is higher than soda, they may even make more
money from it. In addition, water/juice machines don't violate the USDA
rules, so can be turned on all day, instead of only after lunch is over.

Actually, the people who complained the most were the teachers who wanted
their diet coke fix!

We have a separate vending machines in the staff mail room for staff
use. The prices are different and the selection is voted on. I suspect
that could stay the same regardless of what was made available in
student machines (hypocritcal tho that may be).

Old July 8th 03, 08:03 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes toto wrote:

I think though it is probably dependent on having a closed campus.

At the high school my kids went to, the kids can go out for lunch
and their is a burger king, a mcdonald's and a KFC a few blocks
down the street and a grocery store even closer if they want to
just buy snack and junk food.

The high schools that my kids went to were out in the country and
they would have to drive several miles to get to anywhere where they
could buy anything. The same was even true for the suburban high
school that I went to. I could walk home, but there was nowhere else
for me to walk to where I could buy anything. And I didn't really
have the time to walk home even though my house was only about a block
from the school.

In many high schools the kids are bused in, and have no access to
their own transportation. Therefore unless they can walk to
somewhere, or they drive to school, the campus is in effect closed.
Even in one of the schools that my kids attended where there is a
small store across the street, they'd have to cross a busy highway,
and the little store probably doesn't want hordes of kids in the
store.

For the younger kids who cannot go off-campus, it will work, for
high school students. I doubt it unless we keep them from going
anywhere else and I am not in favor of closing campuses and
making teens prisoners for the entire school day as is done in
some places.

I think you might rethink that if you realized that in many cases for
the kids to go off campus, they will have to get into a car and drive.
I think that having teens drive to and from school just so they can go
off campus is a bad idea and unsafe in the bargain. It's all very
well to have an open campus if there's somewhere close and safe to go
to. That isn't true in a lot of cases.

grandma Rosalie
Old July 8th 03, 09:34 PM
P. Tierney

"Donna Metler" wrote:

And CocaCola, at least, has no problem with this. In fact, since the price
on bottled water and juice is higher than soda, they may even make more
money from it. In addition, water/juice machines don't violate the USDA
rules, so can be turned on all day, instead of only after lunch is over.

Actually, the people who complained the most were the teachers who wanted
their diet coke fix!

I wouldn't have complained, but as a heavy Coca-Cola drinker, I
would've had to make a *serious* adjustment once the no-soft drinks
rule went into effect. Luckily, I have no such rules at my house.
However, since "Coke" was about the 6th word that my child was
able to say with regular proficiency, I may have a different set
of problems down the road. We'll see. ;-)

P. Tierney

Old July 8th 03, 09:46 PM
Marnie

"toto" wrote in message

For the younger kids who cannot go off-campus, it will work, for
high school students. I doubt it unless we keep them from going
anywhere else and I am not in favor of closing campuses and
making teens prisoners for the entire school day as is done in
some places.

The high school where we are moving has a closed campus ... because it's a
fairly rural community and there is nowhere close enough for the students to
get to in the 45 or so minutes they have for lunch hour. In fact, now that I
think about it, I now live the Chicago area and I don't know if the high
school campus is closed, but I do know that at the local high school, it
would be very difficult, even here in greater mega-suburbia, to get to any
of the fast-food places and get lunch and get back to school in under 45
minutes. Certainly no place is close enough to walk to.

Not exactly "making teens prisoners," don't you think? I'd say having
schools away from fast-food-ville was a good thing.
--
Marnie

Old July 8th 03, 09:51 PM
toto

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:03:18 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

For the younger kids who cannot go off-campus, it will work, for
high school students. I doubt it unless we keep them from going
anywhere else and I am not in favor of closing campuses and
making teens prisoners for the entire school day as is done in
some places.

I think you might rethink that if you realized that in many cases for
the kids to go off campus, they will have to get into a car and drive.
I think that having teens drive to and from school just so they can go
off campus is a bad idea and unsafe in the bargain. It's all very
well to have an open campus if there's somewhere close and safe to go
to. That isn't true in a lot of cases.

Well, as I said it works on any closed campus. I just am glad that we
lived where kids could walk off campus for many things.

The grocery store was right across the street. Also my kids at least
brown bagged lunch and could have brought what they wanted from
home (and yes, they might have brought soda or junk food).

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 8th 03, 11:16 PM
toto

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:46:07 GMT, "Marnie" wrote:

Not exactly "making teens prisoners," don't you think? I'd say having
schools away from fast-food-ville was a good thing.

For various reasons, many campuses are closed and there is nothing
close by. I prefer high schools to have an atmosphere more like that
of college campuses, however, and I don't think that it is a good
thing for students to have a lot of limitations. I realize that the
way the high school day is set up doesn't lend itself easily to what
I would like to see done, however.

It is a fact of life that most teens *are* prisoners of the school
considering that education is compulsory and many kids really
don't want to be there.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 8th 03, 11:18 PM
Donna Metler

news
wrote:

[...]

When I went to high school, the campus was closed unless you were taking a
class at one of the colleges or were on a part-day work or internship
program-of course, given that the only nearby business was the farm bureau
store, I guess it didn't matter much!

My husband went to high school with an open campus for a very logical
reason-his school district, needing space and seeing the number of kids who
were leaving campus for lunch anyway, turned the cafeteria into classrooms
and stopped serving a hot lunch-you could buy a bag lunch (or get one if you
were on free lunch) brought over from another school, but if you wanted
anything else, there was McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits

Old July 9th 03, 04:10 AM
R. Steve Walz

Marnie wrote:

"toto" wrote in message

[...]

-------------
All it does is cause resentment and hatred of all authority and a
consequent rebellion as an older teen or adult, which is part of why
this nation is so fat. You should see the kids race out to buy
cigarettes when they turn 18. Eating what you want follows the same
mold.
Steve
Old July 9th 03, 04:11 AM
R. Steve Walz

toto wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:46:07 GMT, "Marnie" wrote:

Not exactly "making teens prisoners," don't you think? I'd say having
schools away from fast-food-ville was a good thing.

For various reasons, many campuses are closed and there is nothing
close by. I prefer high schools to have an atmosphere more like that
of college campuses, however, and I don't think that it is a good
thing for students to have a lot of limitations. I realize that the
way the high school day is set up doesn't lend itself easily to what
I would like to see done, however.

It is a fact of life that most teens *are* prisoners of the school
considering that education is compulsory and many kids really
don't want to be there.
Dorothy

All it does is encourage dropping-out.
Steve