Teaching in the ADHD Era

Old March 5th 06, 01:00 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Default Teaching in the ADHD Era

http://ledger.southofboston.com/arti...ews/news04.txt

Teaching in the ADHD era: Variety of learning disorders make instruction
more complex

Excerpts: [see my comments]

Fights are rare, but a few teachers have been cursed at to their face.

[this should NEVER be allowed, under ANY circumstances]

Most weeks, a larger number contend with students who refuse to do their
assignments. A handful of students must be coaxed into participation from
the withdrawn, autism-like symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome, while others
seem sunk in silence - perhaps, teachers say, because they've witnessed or
suffered anger or abuse at home.

[My-my isn't the teacher judgmental, Mark Probert?, YES, it is the teacher's
job.]

Old March 9th 06, 10:52 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. com...
http://ledger.southofboston.com/arti...ews/news04.txt

Teaching in the ADHD era: Variety of learning disorders make instruction
more complex

Excerpts: [see my comments]

Fights are rare, but a few teachers have been cursed at to their face.

[this should NEVER be allowed, under ANY circumstances]

Most weeks, a larger number contend with students who refuse to do their
assignments. A handful of students must be coaxed into participation from
the withdrawn, autism-like symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome, while others
seem sunk in silence - perhaps, teachers say, because they've witnessed or
suffered anger or abuse at home.

[My-my isn't the teacher judgmental, Mark Probert?, YES, it is the
teacher's job.]

"Autism-like symptoms of Asperger's"????

Asperger's Syndrome *is* a type of autism....the teacher not only is not
doing her job very well, she is not very well informed...

--
Buny

" Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be
normal."
~ Albert Camus

Old March 10th 06, 03:32 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Sumbuny" wrote in message

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Kind of like "heart attack like symptoms of an MI".

Old March 10th 06, 08:03 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Skeptic" wrote in message

"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Pretty much...using "big words" to try to inpress the audience, without
comprending what those "big words" actually mean G

Old March 11th 06, 08:09 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Wrong. You are nit picking. She stated it correctly.

http://www.encorestudio.org/content/reallifereview.html

Real Life focuses on Asperger's Syndrome, which a program note describes as
being like a dash of autism. People with Asperger's Syndrome have normal
intelligence but exhibit autism-like symptoms.

Old March 11th 06, 08:13 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

A real pity you feel the need to giggle at teachers.

Old March 11th 06, 08:17 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Care to post "this" to alt.autism?

... I wouldn't.

Cordially,

RL
--
0. Introduction: Why a Sigflame FAQ?

Sigflaming has become an institution on demon.local, and so
it's
time we had a nice FAQ to explain sigflaming to newbies and
start them off on the right foot.

1. What is a big sig?

Anything longer than the recommended USENET maximum of four
lines. The sig starts after the delimiter ("-- " on a line
by itself).

2. What is a sigflame?

It's a USENET posting that follows up to another to complain
that the first posting had a big sig.

3. Why complain about big sigs?

It's the best way to get more posts with big sigs, and to
promote the ongoing discussion of sigfile size.

4. Why complain about big sigs in demon.local?

It's the best way to get lots of lovely posts with big sigs,
and discussions of sigfile size, in demon.local. Only
trolls and troublemakers could find fault with this.

5. Why not complain about big sigs outside demon.local?

This has been tried, but with limited success (see 9).
Besides, the net effect might be to encourage people with
big sigs, which are a limited resource, to post _outside_
demon.local, and that would dilute the target material.
So if you _must_ make a sigflame outside demon.local, at
least mention that you post in demon.local, and explain
that we always flame big sigs in demon.local.

6. Why not just ignore people with big sigs?

They might go away.

7. Okay, so why not ask people to post with big sigs?

They might post with small sigs just to be perverse.

8. Will Demon Internet do anything about this?

They'll bill us at a flat rate for this big sigs service.
But they seldom contribute big sigs. To make this work.
you have to contribute your own sigflames.

9. Will nanau do anything about this?

NANAU subscribers have been known to have a quiet
chuckle, but they seldom contribute a big juicy sig.

10. Will spam cancelers do anything about this?

See 9. One spam canceller is thought to have spam
cancelled one especially enthusiastic sig flamer.
Talk about warped priorities!

11. What about bandwidth?

In article , B.E.Newsam
writes

As I'm sure Piers will tell you soon, "bandwidth is not the issue". It's
the law, and that's that.

Bandwidth is not the issue. The issue is

B I G S I G S

Old March 11th 06, 01:45 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Jan Drew" wrote:

"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

People with Aspberger's Syndrome have a type of autism, not
"autism-like symptoms". Anyone who would use the latter expression is
either ignorant of the facts or doesn't care. Ignorance can be
forgiven, but only once.

It is not nit-picking to ask people to use correct terms.
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old March 11th 06, 03:09 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
news

"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

No. At one point Asperger's was felt to be a separat entity. However, we
know now that it IS a form of autism, just on the very mild end of the
spectrum - but autism nonetheless.

But hey, thanks for the link to "
A musical comedy takes on Asperger's Syndrome
"
.... lol... now *that's* science!

Old March 11th 06, 05:02 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
om...

"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Considering that I work with teachers, as a volunteer, a substitute
teachers, as a special ed major (halfway to my degree at this point), with
over a dozen years of experience volunteering and substitute teaching, not
to mention working as an aide in the classroom...I would think that I know
tad more about the profession than you do...

What did you say your credentials were?