Teaching in the ADHD Era

Old March 11th 06, 05:11 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Default Teaching in the ADHD Era

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
news

"Sumbuny" wrote in message

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. com...
http://ledger.southofboston.com/arti...ews/news04.txt

Teaching in the ADHD era: Variety of learning disorders make instruction
more complex

Excerpts: [see my comments]

Fights are rare, but a few teachers have been cursed at to their face.

[this should NEVER be allowed, under ANY circumstances]

Most weeks, a larger number contend with students who refuse to do their
assignments. A handful of students must be coaxed into participation
from the withdrawn, autism-like symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome, while
others seem sunk in silence - perhaps, teachers say, because they've
witnessed or suffered anger or abuse at home.

[My-my isn't the teacher judgmental, Mark Probert?, YES, it is the
teacher's job.]

"Autism-like symptoms of Asperger's"????

Asperger's Syndrome *is* a type of autism....the teacher not only is not
doing her job very well, she is not very well informed...

--
Buny

Wrong. You are nit picking. She stated it correctly.

http://www.encorestudio.org/content/reallifereview.html

Real Life focuses on Asperger's Syndrome, which a program note describes
as being like a dash of autism. People with Asperger's Syndrome have
normal intelligence but exhibit autism-like symptoms.

I would suggest that you look at the *medical definition* of asperger's
syndrome, instead of someone who has no idea of what it is, who says it is
"a dash of autism"....I am not "nit picking" when I say that she is wrong in
saying that it is not autism...when the medical definition clearly states it
*is*

http://web.syr.edu/~rjkopp/data/dsm_criteria.html

As I said before, it is a shame when someone is trying to discuss something,
and uses words that they do not understand....so I am now sharing links to
try to help you (and others here) understand aspergers a little bit better.
Since I have to live with the effects of this--my son has it--you should
know that I *do* understand it...

Not to mention that I have studied this over the past dozen+ years, as well
as worked with other children directly that have this sydrome, as well as
are elsewhere on the autism spectrum. I also work with other children who
have developmental disabilities, as a special ed major....I have also worked
as a classroom aide in special ed, as a substitute teacher, as a volunteer,
etc...all over the past dozen+ years in the schools....all while researching
developmental disabilities, and working with various support groups in the
area.

What did you say your credentials were?

--
Buny

" Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be
normal."
~ Albert Camus

Old March 11th 06, 06:17 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:

"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
y.com...

[...]

So, are you now claiming that all individuals with autism don't have
"normal intelligence"? Meaning what--that all individuals with autism
are individuals with low IQs?

Nancy
Unique, like everyone else
Old March 11th 06, 10:41 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Sumbuny" wrote in message

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
om...

"Sumbuny" wrote in message

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
[...]

Kind of like "heart attack like symptoms of an MI".

Pretty much...using "big words" to try to inpress the audience, without
comprending what those "big words" actually mean G

A real pity you feel the need to giggle at teachers.

Considering that I work with teachers, as a volunteer, a substitute
teachers, as a special ed major (halfway to my degree at this point), with
over a dozen years of experience volunteering and substitute teaching, not
to mention working as an aide in the classroom...I would think that I know
tad more about the profession than you do...

A dozen, huh?

I owned and directed two daycare centers for thirty eight years, which
included kindergarten classes.

You are just getting started.

I repeat:

Old March 11th 06, 10:51 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Peter Bowditch" wrote in message

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
[...]

People with Aspberger's Syndrome have a type of autism, not
"autism-like symptoms". Anyone who would use the latter expression is
either ignorant of the facts or doesn't care. Ignorance can be
forgiven, but only once.

It is not nit-picking to ask people to use correct terms.
--
Peter Bowditch

Like:

there is no such thing as "mercury amalgam

Which shows how Peter LIES!

http://tinyurl.com/lp4q4

http://tinyurl.com/plfvk

http://tinyurl.com/rhg2z

http://tinyurl.com/zgalf

http://tinyurl.com/lhkz4

http://tinyurl.com/gpq2b

http://tinyurl.com/ensc3

http://tinyurl.com/gs29p

http://tinyurl.com/m7ay8

http://tinyurl.com/alfxm

http://tinyurl.com/auzuc

http://tinyurl.com/7nqft

http://tinyurl.com/dxdnj

Old March 11th 06, 10:55 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Sumbuny" wrote in message

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
news

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
[...]

No, I don't need to, you are nit picking, plain and simple.

Old March 11th 06, 10:57 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"MothWrangler" wrote in message
Jan Drew wrote:

"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
gy.com...

[...]

Did you read me claiming that?

Old March 11th 06, 11:18 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Jan Drew" wrote:

"Peter Bowditch" wrote in message
.. .

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
[...]

This thread is not about amalgam, but, as I said above, "It is not
nit-picking to ask people to use correct terms".

Which shows how Peter LIES!

Pardon? My lying is demonstrated by my request for accurate
terminology? Have you been hitting the hooch again?

snip whatever
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old March 12th 06, 01:22 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:

"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
igy.com...

[...]

In support of your position that Asperger Syndrome is not a type of
autism, you've posted a statement from an article that differentiates
individuals with Asperger from individuals with autism on the basis of
intelligence--claiming that people with Asperger have "normal"
intelligence (which must mean that the author believes individuals with
autism do not have "normal" intelligence).

So, do you or do you not agree with what the article says about Asperger
and autism?

If you don't agree with what the article says, why did you post
information from it?

Nancy
Unique, like everyone else

Old March 12th 06, 04:51 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:

"Sumbuny" wrote in message
> [...]

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
digy.com...

[...]

In FACT no one did.

Now after ALL these diversions, the subject is restored:

Old March 12th 06, 01:25 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Jan Drew" wrote:

snip stuff we have heard before

autism-like symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome

Jan, could you please explain why you will not accept that this is a
ridiculous statement? Aspberger's Syndrome IS autism, not an
"autism-like" anything. Would it damage your anti-Ritalin campaign in
any way to admit this?
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com