Laxatives

Old July 25th 08, 02:43 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

Default Laxatives

In article ,
"Shelley" wrote:

My son has a problem with going as well. He's 6 you like the OP's child. I
know that increasing his fibre and water intake will help but he fights me
on some of these foods. I can get some extra fibre in him because he does
like fruits and such but what is the next best thing to water that might be
OK. I know water is best but I can only get him to drink so much. What
else might be OK for liquids. Also, what foods should he avoid (other than
the obvious junk food). Cheese? Anything else.

Also, my husband has suggested stool softeners on occasion. Would this be
OK?

It depends what is causing the constipation. Constipation isn't "not doing a
poo a day"; it's having hard stools. It can have an organic cause -- a
disorder of the bowel, for example -- or an environmental one, which comes
down to not eating properly.

Here are the Australian recommendations for 4-8 year olds:
fruit - 1-2 serves (cups); vegetables -2-4 serves (1 serve = 1/2 cup cooked
or 1 cup salad); dairy - 2-3 serves (cups); bread and cereals and grains - 3-7
serves (cups); meat -up to 1/2 cup; water -- 1 litre for a child over 5.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old July 25th 08, 07:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Elizabeth Johnson

Shelley wrote:

My son has a problem with going as well. He's 6 you like the OP's child. I
know that increasing his fibre and water intake will help but he fights me
on some of these foods. I can get some extra fibre in him because he does
like fruits and such but what is the next best thing to water that might be
OK. I know water is best but I can only get him to drink so much. What
else might be OK for liquids. Also, what foods should he avoid (other than
the obvious junk food). Cheese? Anything else.

While berries are fruit, they can cause constipation.

--Betsy
Old July 26th 08, 12:01 AM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

Thanks to everyone who replied. I was wrong, I thought I read about
the medication here, but it was actually in a discussion forums.

http://forum.canadianparents.com/ubb...272465&fpart=1

The medication is miralax or peglax

I guess for us (Canadian resident) we can order it through
http://www.pegflakes.com/index.html

My son went through too many episodes, and tried many remedies that was
suggested in here.

Old July 26th 08, 12:45 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article RWsik.93814$kx.70430@pd7urf3no, Dad says...

Thanks to everyone who replied. I was wrong, I thought I read about
the medication here, but it was actually in a discussion forums.

http://forum.canadianparents.com/ubb...272465&fpart=1

"The" medication? Did someone bring up a medication?

The medication is miralax or peglax

::snip website::

My son went through too many episodes, and tried many remedies that was
suggested in here.

Uh-huh. So you came BACK to us with ... "The medication..".

What connection do you have with this purveyors of... "the medication"?

Banty

Old July 26th 08, 03:50 AM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

Banty wrote:
In article RWsik.93814$kx.70430@pd7urf3no, Dad says...

"The" medication? Did someone bring up a medication?

Uh-huh. So you came BACK to us with ... "The medication..".

What connection do you have with this purveyors of... "the medication"?

Banty

Soon after I posted, I realized my posr looked like I am promoting
something. Your reply confirmed it. Oh well, live and learn.

As for my son, he recovered from the problem since the original post.
However, I will ask about miralax (snake oil, ha ha ) next time when I
see his pediatrician.

Old July 28th 08, 12:05 AM posted to misc.kids
dejablues[_4_]

"Dad" wrote in message

As for my son, he recovered from the problem since the original post.

Great! So the cure for constipation means waiting two days.
No meds necessary!