New York City Schools?

Old August 12th 08, 11:42 PM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

Default New York City Schools?

Our Federal Education Minister has been spending a bit of time with Joel Klein
lately:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...013871,00.html

At this point, I'm still unconvinced about the wisdom of league tables for
Australian schools, for reasons we've discussed previously. Then I read this
article today:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/l...s/2008/08/12/1
218306883558.html

I remain unimpressed. Metal Detector High was allowed to remain open and
(mis-)teach students for "several years" as an official "failing school". I'm
interested to know why the parents still continued to send their children
there (ie, how real is the ability to choose a school), how long a "failing
school" is allowed to continue, and whether the new school that replaces the
failure is ever a success.

All other comments welcome, of course.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia