traveling overseas with 1 year old (with Dad)

Old December 30th 03, 02:47 PM
Will Hou

Default traveling overseas with 1 year old (with Dad)

Hi,

I will be traveling from Florida to China next month with my one-year-old
son alone (mother can't go). Any tips/suggestions/warnings you guys could
provide? Only thing I could think of is to fly as few hours as possible. And
of course, pack enough diapers, formula... (maybe he doesn't need Simulac by
then and can just have regular milk? he will be exactly one year old then).
A friend of mine told me that I want to find a seat that's just in front of
the screen so I can borrow a "basket" from the airline to have the baby
sleep in, especially during the long trans-Pacific flight (10+ hours). I was
told that it is not possible to check in a carseat or stroller. I don't plan
to buy a separate seat for him. He will be staying in China for a few
months.

Some people suggested to use Benadryl on him which helps him breathe and
sleep (that's an idea -- to drug my son out so I can get some sleep!). I
asked our Ped but he didn't recommend nor against it (I forgot what he said
exactly).

Thanks so much in advance.

Already scared,

Will the Dad
PS It seems that the total travel time will be around 26 to 28 hours
including changing planes etc.

Old December 30th 03, 03:20 PM
Sue

You can check in a stroller or car seat. But, you must check it at the
baggage claim and not take it in the plane. Bring new toys and snacks to
occupy him. Some people say to fly at night so the child will sleep. That is
a good idea, if you don't think your son would stay up because there are too
many things to look at. Otherwise, fly when it is most convenient for you.

You said you're not getting him a seat. That would be the biggest mistake in
my book. Are you actually going to hold him the entire trip? Do yourself a
favor and get him a seat by the window. That way when he gets fussy or you
get tired of holding him, he can sit in his own seat and look out the
window. I wouldn't give him Benedryl to medicate him, but do feed him a
bottle upon take off and landing. Good luck. How is mom feeling about her
son being away from her for so long?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 30th 03, 03:29 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

I've never done quite so long a trip with a baby. But here are some
thoughts:

Pack formula AND pedialyte. Pack infant tylenol or motrin. Don't do
benadryl unless you've used it on him before and KNOW it will knock him
out. (It has the reverse effect on many babies.) Pack far more diapers
and food/formula than you expect to need. Do NOT pack any NEW foods.
Pack several changes of clothing for him, and a couple for you in case
of spit up, etc. Carry on a car seat and have him sit in it during the
flight. (Pay for a seat if necessary.) He'll be far safer and more
comfortable in his familiar car seat, and then you'll have it at the
other end. (He'll get either a center seat in the center section OR the
window seat if he's in a car seat. So no one will have to crawl over
the car seat for an emergency exit of the aircraft.)

Pack several small toys that he's never seen before, but that it's okay
to lose in transit. Pack some more diapers and wipes. Pack a changing
pad. Now a few more diapers.

At the drug store pick up some saline solution (nose drops) and the
saline gel that you put just inside the nostrils to keep them hydrated.
Both of you can use it.

In your checked bags pack all the over-the-counter medications that
you've ever expected to use, since you don't know what he might pick up
while travelling.

Prepare for the worst, and it will probably make the actual flight seem
easy by comparison.

Wishing you a safe journey,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 30th 03, 04:03 PM
Elana Kehoe

Will Hou wrote:

Any tips/suggestions/warnings you guys could
provide?

We've done this in here before...google in groups.google.com for toddler
travel tips.

My tips tho:

Have about 5 toys he's never seen before. Pull them out when he gets
fussy. Only one at a time, and wait til he's bored with the first one.
I highly recommend Sassy's Fascination Station...it's not too loud, and
has a suction cup for sticking...anywhere smooth :-).

Have one major diaper bag and one smaller one that just has the
necessities. The big bag goes overhead in the cabin, the smaller (which
should fit in the larger) goes with you to the changing area.

I don't know if your child is on solids or not, but if he is, bring
foods that you know he likes. Not the time to try something new.

A friend of mine told me that I want to find a seat that's just in front of
the screen so I can borrow a "basket" from the airline to have the baby
sleep in, especially during the long trans-Pacific flight (10+ hours).

You can request this when booking tix (or now, if you've already booked)
but it's not guaranteed until check-in. Mentioning that you are a lone
parent traveling with a child might help, but I'm not sure.

Oh...make sure you bring a letter with you, signed by your wife, that
says that your son can travel with you out of the country. Better safe
than sorry.

I was
told that it is not possible to check in a carseat or stroller. I don't plan
to buy a separate seat for him. He will be staying in China for a few
months.

That's gotta be crap. We always buy our son a seat on our flights
(anything over 2 hours, he gets his own seat), and put his carseat in
it, so I've never checked his carseat. But the stroller can go to the
gate and be put in the hold from there. Best way to do it, I think.

Some people suggested to use Benadryl on him which helps him breathe and
sleep (that's an idea -- to drug my son out so I can get some sleep!). I
asked our Ped but he didn't recommend nor against it (I forgot what he said
exactly).

A lot of people recommend that. We've flown our son between the US and
Ireland 6 times now...never had to drug him. Of course, that flight is
shorter than yours. But giving medicine when it's not needed isn't my
idea of smart, esp to young kids.

Just remember you need to help keep him occupied, and you'll be fine.
I'm guessing you're going to be changing planes...check the airports on
the web and see if they have kids areas. I know Boston does, which many
people don't know about, and really makes a difference for the kids and
the parents.

Good luck
--
It's Tis Herself
Old December 30th 03, 04:46 PM
Banty

In article , Will Hou says...

[...]

1. Most importantly, buy airline seats for him. Really, it's necessary to
assure that he has a seat to sleep in, to wiggle in, and to play in.

2. Call the airline regarding checking carseats, etc. Don't go by hearsay.

3. Don't make any changes to his habits for the flight (ie, this isn't the time
to go from formula to milk). Oh - benadryl is in this category - if you think
you'll need it (and actually you shouldn't), give him a dose sometime now to
see how he reacts. But, frankly, I woulnd't do the benadryl.

4. Bring more diapers than you think you'd possibly need, bring onboard a change
of clothes or two for *both* of you.

Other posters have covered other important points. But point number one -
assuring airline seats for him - is the most important. Yes, that costs.
That's what money is for, though.

Banty

Old December 30th 03, 05:00 PM
lynn

In article ,
"Will Hou" wrote:

[...]

I'd recommend reading: "Lonely Planet Travel With Children (Travel With
Children, 4th Ed)" by Cathy Lanigan, for lots of tips.

Talk to the airline about the travel issues - whether a "basket" is
available, whether you can reserve a seat in that row or whatever, and
what you can do about carseats/strollers. I've always been able to
gate-check both, but never tried flying overseas.

I wouldn't use Benadryl. Pacifiers, bottles, are good, or anything else
that your baby sucks on, to relieve ear pressure. Lots of small snacks
to eat - cheerios, goldfish, grapes, anything that's slow to eat and not
too messy.

Ask your doctor about milk vs. formula. Milk should be fine, but I'd
introduce it at least a week before you leave, so he's used to it, and
so you can see if he likes it.

- Lynn
Old December 30th 03, 06:03 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Will Hou" wrote:

[...]

don't switch milks on him during travel -- carry what he is used to
besure to have something for him to suck on at take off and landing --
if he uses a pacifier this might work -- if you plan to use juice or
formula in a bottle -- don't give this to him until the plan is actually
taking off -- otherwise he will suck it up on the ground and then not be
sucking when the ear pressure changes are at their worst -- and there is
no reasoning with a one year old whose ears hurt --

have a couple of changes of clothes handy for him and one for you -- and
about 3 times as many diapers as you think reasonable -- what can go
wrong will go wrong at 30K feet with no stores nearby -- some disposable
cleaning clothes for hands etc also -- and keep his hands clean as he
will be picking up germs from touching things [I always wipe down the
tray table and arms of the seat etc when traveling with a small child]

arrange with the airline for a basket if they have them -- don't assume
you can manage that at the airport -- a one year old is probably too
large for any of the baby contraptions I have seen on flights so this
will probably not be possible -- but check with your airline -- have a
blanket so you can put him on on the floor at the bulkhead to sleep.
[and do get a bulkhead seat although that will mean your gear won't be
handy under the seat ahead]

Not buying a seat is a mistake for a trip this long and a terrible
imposition on the people around you who will have to contend with a
squirming sticky baby invading their space [where do you plan to put
this basket? or your child to nap? in your neighbor's foot space?

take some picture books and paper and crayons to try to entertain him

I wouldn't give Benedryl without the doctor's advice -- it makes some
people crazy hyper and irritable and babies react differently than
adults to medications
Old December 30th 03, 06:06 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Will Hou" wrote:

[...]

be sure you have the legal paperwork you need to travel with a child
without the other parent -- usually this is a notorized statement from
the mother [but find out what the airlines will require]
Old December 30th 03, 06:19 PM
mbajema

"Will Hou" wrote in message ...
[...]

Next month I am going to Texas with our daughter. Our travel agent
suggested my husband (her dad) write a note giving me permission to
travel with her across state lines, and to get it notorized (sp?).
You may want to consider this, especially since you are taking her out
of the country. Just a thought...

Have a safe trip.

Mary

Old December 30th 03, 06:32 PM
Elizabeth Reid

"Will Hou" wrote in message ...
[...]

If it's humanly possible, buy him a seat. I know that for such
a long trip it will be expensive (maybe there's a discount
available?) but if you don't have the extra space, you'll be
very uncomfortable. If you buy a seat, you can bring his car
seat for him to sleep in.

Bring a mix of new and old toys - new for interest value,
old favorites for comfort and reliability. Be sure to bring
any items like favorite blankets, etc., to help reassure him.
More diapers than you think you'll need, ditto bottles, changes
of clothes, snacks. Bring an easily accessible change of
clothing for yourself, too. Have a thermometer and Tylenol
in your carry-on for sudden fevers.

Are you currently the child's primary caretaker? If not,
you may want to take on extra duty doing things like putting
him to sleep, feeding him, and so on, so that when you're
away together the two of you are in sync. (I realize it's
sort of sexist for me to even say that and I apologize if
you already do all of these things for your son. I just know
a lot of dads who don't, and it would be hard on both
parent and child to be learning new things about each
other while on a trip.)

Beth