Songs they don't teach any more

Old January 19th 04, 10:59 PM
Scott

Default Songs they don't teach any more

I was amazed to learn this month that my kids (10.5 and
almost 8) have not learned the words to 'Erie Canal'.
I thought that was required learning for elementary schoolers
everywhere, but it seems I was mistaken.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 7.9

Old January 20th 04, 02:19 AM
Banty

In article , Scott says...

I was amazed to learn this month that my kids (10.5 and
almost 8) have not learned the words to 'Erie Canal'.
I thought that was required learning for elementary schoolers
everywhere, but it seems I was mistaken.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 7.9

I never heard it until I lived in Rochester, New York. I thought it was local
(Rochester is close to the canal, called the "barge canal" there), until I heard
it on a Wee Sings tape.

Banty

Banty

Old January 21st 04, 07:09 PM
user

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:19:24 EST, Banty wrote:
In article , Scott says...

I was amazed to learn this month that my kids (10.5 and
almost 8) have not learned the words to 'Erie Canal'.
I thought that was required learning for elementary schoolers
everywhere, but it seems I was mistaken.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 7.9

I never heard it until I lived in Rochester, New York. I thought it was local
(Rochester is close to the canal, called the "barge canal" there), until I heard
it on a Wee Sings tape.

Fellow Rochestarians are everywhere. ;-)

One point - the Barge Canal is not the Erie canal. There are some
points where they used the same canal path, but the Erie is, for
all intents and purposes, gone. Heck, the 490 expressway was built
on top of the Erie Canal bed - you can still see one of the old
locks near the Culver Road exit.

That being said - I know we were singing the song since
pre-school, at least.

Old January 21st 04, 11:11 PM
Splanche

Fellow Rochestarians are everywhere. ;-)

would it be within charter to see how many of us are here?

For all I know I see you guys at daycare pickup and don't even know it!

Old January 22nd 04, 06:58 PM

Fellow Rochestarians are everywhere. ;-)

would it be within charter to see how many of us are here?

Is there room in here for an "almost, but not quite"?

-Hazel of the Finger Lakes
(close enough to get the Cold Rush ads in my weekend paper)

Old January 22nd 04, 11:49 PM
user

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:11:39 EST, Splanche wrote:
Fellow Rochestarians are everywhere. ;-)

would it be within charter to see how many of us are here?

For all I know I see you guys at daycare pickup and don't even know it!

Nope, though if you happened to have any kids at Winton Road
Nursery School, or spend any time at all in Penfield/Fairport/Perinton
parks, you'd be likely to see us. ;-)

Old January 26th 04, 10:45 PM
Naomi Pardue

Fellow Rochestarians are everywhere. ;-)

would it be within charter to see how many of us are here?

I'm a former Rochesterian. (Haven't lived there in 25 years, but grew up there
and still visit often, since my parents and sister still live there.)

(When a neighbor was digging a swimming pool back in the late 60's IIRC, they
found a bunch of junk that had been tossed into the Erie Canal lo those many
years ago.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

Old January 22nd 04, 10:40 AM
Banty

In article , user says...

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:19:24 EST, Banty wrote:
In article , Scott says...

I was amazed to learn this month that my kids (10.5 and
almost 8) have not learned the words to 'Erie Canal'.
I thought that was required learning for elementary schoolers
everywhere, but it seems I was mistaken.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 7.9

I never heard it until I lived in Rochester, New York. I thought it was local
(Rochester is close to the canal, called the "barge canal" there), until I heard
it on a Wee Sings tape.

Fellow Rochestarians are everywhere. ;-)

If you count living there for one summer whilst working for The Great Yellow
Father...

Banty (..and learning how to play bocce near Lyell Ave.)

Old January 20th 04, 03:29 AM
Nick Theodorakis

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:59:55 EST, Scott
wrote:

I was amazed to learn this month that my kids (10.5 and
almost 8) have not learned the words to 'Erie Canal'.
I thought that was required learning for elementary schoolers
everywhere, but it seems I was mistaken.

Scott DD 10.5 and DS 7.9

It might be a generational thing. I learned it in elementary school as
well, but my kids (ages 9, 9, and 6) don't seem to have been taught it
(and we live in Rochester, NY!)

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis

nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu