What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

Old June 16th 06, 04:28 PM posted to misc.kids

Default What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

As I said, DD doesn't go for anything too tight or skimpy, but she
does like those shirts with sassy sayings, and I hate those!

I absolutely agree about those shirts with sassy sayings. So many of
the children I know wear shirts that seem to simply try to antagonize
the reader.

This is shocking considering that as caregivers, we punish a child for
being disrespectful and sassy and yet allow our children to wear
rebellious and smart-alecky sayings on his/her shirt. What do we teach
the child about that behavior?

I think those shirts are paradoxical for how many of us want to raise
our children. And yet, for whatever reason, those sassy-saying
tshirts are a big selling item right now in the children's clothing
stores. Many people think it's cute. I think it's sad.

Old June 16th 06, 05:00 PM posted to misc.kids

So, I guess you don't exercise in public?

Renee

HAHAHAHA your funny.. I dont exercise in my house either :P I usualy wear
sweats because well.. they are 8 years old and still fit and if I am wearing
them I am not wearing my nice pants for the kids only

Tori

Old June 16th 06, 05:02 PM posted to misc.kids

"Stephanie Stowe" wrote in message

"L." wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Forget the website. Geesh. Sorry if anybody thinks I'm trying to
promote it. And, heaven forbid that I look like I'm actually promoting
the inapprorpiateness of children. Oh my goodnes.

Dragonlady,
I respect your opinion that there is nothing wrong with what children
wear. It's just something I've noticed and am concerned about. That's
all. It's worth discussing and thinking about when one looks at ads
including children - or when young children want to dress up like
little teenagers.

I have noticed that the Disney Channel - of all places - promotes this.
Almost every character of pre-teen and teen age is almost always
dressed "too maturely" for their character's age, IMO - and almost all
have *way* too much make-up on. In fact, many of the characters are
portrayed by actors/tresses much older than the characters (Brenda Song
is 18, Ashley Tsdale is 21, for example - both play 16 year-olds).

As for the clothing - people obviously want to buy the stuff - that's
why it is marketed. But I cringe every time I see a 12 or 9 or 6 year
old in a belly shirt, short shorts and/or "women's" shoes - ones with
big heels and/or tiny straps and glittery, etc.

Glittery is a characteristic of women's shoes? I thought glitter was
something that was particular to little girls. While I can see an
objection
to revealing clothing and heals, I can't see an objection based on the
size
of the sandal straps or glitter.

I just dont know why they think a 4 year old needs a 1 inch heal. I love
the sparkaly Ruby slipper type shoes that where out for older girls a few
years ago though.

Tori

Old June 16th 06, 05:06 PM posted to misc.kids

I want to take one thing back: I think "cutie" on the diaper-covered
butt of an 8 month old is entirely appropriate. (Or "princess" lots of
other things that are appropropriate for baby wear.) Just not past the
diaper age.

LOL That is adorable! Bonnie had a diaper cover that had a puppys face on
the bum. I wish I still had them.. though I dont know why.. Xavier would
not have been as cute in the pink things :P It isnt his color. (not just
for the hes a boy thing)

Tori

Old June 16th 06, 06:00 PM posted to misc.kids

Well, thank you guys for the wonderful discussion.

I found it to be very interesting and helpful in my own
conscience-search for how dressing our children as adults might impact
us.

Thanks again,

I have a question I'd LOVE feedback on...

What's the impact of dressing our children as adults...
on the child?
on the adult?
as a society?

I have a few comments and pictures at
http://redeemingchildhood.blogspot.com.

Please share your comments!
Thanks.

Old June 16th 06, 06:38 PM posted to misc.kids

"Tori M" wrote in message
I just dont know why they think a 4 year old needs a 1 inch heal. I
love the sparkaly Ruby slipper type shoes that where out for older
girls a few years ago though.

Ooh! My DD had those! She fell so in love with them that we ended up
having to plan her whole Halloween costume around them. She had
wanted to be a princess, but you know, princess costumes are all in
the pale pink range. I finally found a pattern for a "queen of
hearts" costume. I still can't believe I got up the nerve to make it,
as I'd hardly sewn a thing before and this costume had a fitted
bodice, sequined overskirt, "Juliet" sleeves (puffed at the top, and
tight down the arm), and so on. She wore it for Halloween when she
was 4, loved it so much that she wore it again at 5, and I think we
still have it somewhere, though sadly it got really worn out since she
played in it so much.

Thanks for the memory!

Bizby

Old June 16th 06, 06:45 PM posted to misc.kids

Thanks for the memory!

Bizby

I am glad it was a positive one! It sounds like a wonderful costume!

Tori

Old June 16th 06, 08:36 PM posted to misc.kids

One more thing, though...

What do you think of this? I continue to be amazed.

http://www.pimpfants.com/

Old June 16th 06, 10:35 PM posted to misc.kids

On 16 Jun 2006 12:36:22 -0700, "
wrote:

One more thing, though...

What do you think of this? I continue to be amazed.

http://www.pimpfants.com/

Ack.

Nan