Breastfeeding number two

Old July 18th 03, 02:16 AM
kereru

Default Breastfeeding number two

Hello there, I am planning to breastfeed my second baby. It didn't go so
well with my first. We only made it until ten weeks because of my perceived
lack of supply.

My confidence is much higher this time and I know much more about the
mechanics of breastfeeding.

So my question is, what are your experiences of breastfeeding second time.
Were you more successful? I am especially interested in the experiences of
people who had a hard time first time but easier the second (funny that!)

Thanks in advance

Judy

Old July 18th 03, 03:09 AM
Ericka Kammerer

kereru wrote:

Hello there, I am planning to breastfeed my second baby. It didn't go so
well with my first. We only made it until ten weeks because of my perceived
lack of supply.

My confidence is much higher this time and I know much more about the
mechanics of breastfeeding.

So my question is, what are your experiences of breastfeeding second time.
Were you more successful? I am especially interested in the experiences of
people who had a hard time first time but easier the second (funny that!)

I didn't have a difficult time with any of mine (actually,
I've had more soreness this time around with number three), but I
thought you might find it encouraging to hear that research
suggests that women tend to have significantly more milk with
second babies than with first babies (IIRC, it was something
like 30 percent more).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 18th 03, 03:32 AM
kereru

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
kereru wrote:

[...]

I like the sound of that. My first was very large so that didn't help my
confidence with my supply. If I have more milk that has to be better :-)

Judy

Old July 18th 03, 05:50 AM
H Schinske

Ericka ) wrote:

thought you might find it encouraging to hear that research
suggests that women tend to have significantly more milk with
second babies than with first babies (IIRC, it was something
like 30 percent more).

That's interesting. It wasn't my experience, but that had a lot to do with the
fact that I had two the first time around! So between lots of demand and lots
of hormones sloshing around, I had piles of milk the first time. Second time,
with a singleton, my confidence in my supply was supreme given my previous
experience, and that was a good thing, because it turned out my supply was a
lot more tightly calibrated to his needs. So I did have everything he needed
(he grew like a weed and was a lovely happy baby) but I didn't leak all over
the place, and I had a much harder time getting any extra to pump. If I'd had
him first and the twins second, I'm sure I would have had much less confidence
about my ability to feed two babies.

--Helen
Old July 18th 03, 10:09 AM
Elana

kereru wrote:

Hello there, I am planning to breastfeed my second baby. It didn't go so
well with my first. We only made it until ten weeks because of my perceived
lack of supply.

My confidence is much higher this time and I know much more about the
mechanics of breastfeeding.

So my question is, what are your experiences of breastfeeding second time.
Were you more successful? I am especially interested in the experiences of
people who had a hard time first time but easier the second (funny that!)

There are a lot of people doing tandem nursing in
misc.kids.breastfeeding...might get more input there...

Old July 18th 03, 10:53 AM
kereru

"Elana" wrote in message
kereru wrote:

Hello there, I am planning to breastfeed my second baby. It didn't go so
well with my first. We only made it until ten weeks because of my

perceived
lack of supply.

My confidence is much higher this time and I know much more about the
mechanics of breastfeeding.

So my question is, what are your experiences of breastfeeding second

time.
Were you more successful? I am especially interested in the experiences

of
people who had a hard time first time but easier the second (funny

that!)

There are a lot of people doing tandem nursing in
misc.kids.breastfeeding...might get more input there...

I won't be tandem nursing. I stopped BFding my son over a year ago. But
thanks I will post over there.

Judy

Old July 18th 03, 11:44 AM
Cindy Kandolf

"kereru" writes:
| Hello there, I am planning to breastfeed my second baby. It didn't go so
| well with my first. We only made it until ten weeks because of my perceived
| lack of supply.
|
| My confidence is much higher this time and I know much more about the
| mechanics of breastfeeding.
|
| So my question is, what are your experiences of breastfeeding second time.
| Were you more successful? I am especially interested in the experiences of
| people who had a hard time first time but easier the second (funny that!)

In my case, my first son had/has a specific neuro-muscular problem
that made breastfeeding difficult. If we had known about it in time,
it's possible I could have learned how to compensate for it, but I
gave up in frustration long before the docs had figured out what was
going on.

My second baby, on the other hand, latched on properly when he was
five minutes old and, I think, didn't let go for about six months ;-)
I won't say things went perfectly - we explored the worlds of thrush,
oversupply, distractability, and unsupportive relatives - but every
difficulty that came along could be overcome, and my confidence grew
every time I solved a problem. Overall it sure seemed easy at the
time and I was sad when he decided it was time to quit.

It sure sounds to me like you're setting yourself up for success.
You've educated yourself and you know that you probably can overcome
any temporary supply problems this time with the right information and
support. You're looking for sources of that support now before the
baby arrives. Congratulations!

- Cindy Kandolf, mamma to Kenneth (9) and Robby (3)
****** Bærum, Norway
Bilingual Families Web Page:
http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html

Old July 18th 03, 11:57 AM
silvasurfa

"kereru" wrote in message
Hello there, I am planning to breastfeed my second baby. It didn't go so
well with my first. We only made it until ten weeks because of my

perceived
lack of supply.

My confidence is much higher this time and I know much more about the
mechanics of breastfeeding.

So my question is, what are your experiences of breastfeeding second time.
Were you more successful? I am especially interested in the experiences of
people who had a hard time first time but easier the second (funny that!)

Thanks in advance

Judy

I weaned my first about that age because of bottle refusal. Had to go with
one delivery system, and wasn't up for full time work, commute, pumping,
co-sleeping etc.

Second time around? Just bear in mind... there are very few BF problems to
which the solution is not "put baby on breast more", so get a stack of
novels to read, feed the baby lying down and enjoy your enforced rest.

Old July 18th 03, 02:31 PM
Tat

Hi Judy

I breastfed DD1 for 5 weeks - hated it. Felt like a milk machine, she was
feeding every 2 hours day and night. I was almost thankful to give up when
I got a breast abcess very close to my nipple so she couldn't latch, and the
antibiotics were giving her a terrible upset tummy.

DD2, I aimed to last at least 6 weeks, and said I'd breastfeed for as long
as we were both happy doing it. I loved it from the word go - she was a
champion feeder, and fed every 4 hours just about from the word go. We got
through 6 months, 11 months when she got teeth, 1 year, 2 years, and finally
when she was 2 years and 9 months and down to 1 or 2 breastfeeds a day she
announced that she wasn't a baby any more, and that she wouldn't be needing
anymore "Mummy Milk". I was happy at that stage that she'd self weaned!

I couldn't believe that my 2 experiences had been so different!

Hope this encourages you!

Katie
Mummy to Rhian (7.5) and Kira (3)

Old July 18th 03, 10:17 PM
Karen

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:16:08 +1200, "kereru"
wrote:

So my question is, what are your experiences of breastfeeding second time.
Were you more successful? I am especially interested in the experiences of
people who had a hard time first time but easier the second (funny that!)

I was successful the first time around, but it was not easy to hang in
there with a very, very ravenous and cranky baby who breastfed almost
constantly. I never worried about supply because he gained weight like
a little sumo wrestler, but breastfeeding him was very demanding and I
was stressed about it at first. He wound up weaning himself at about
10 months.

Second baby it was just a breeze. I put him on the breast in the
hospital, he settled right in and I thought, "Hey, I know how to do
this! This is easy!" He ate well, but was not as hungry as his
brother, and I felt like my supply matched his demand really nicely.
Of course, there are growth spurts to deal with as they get older and
build up your milk supply, but I found it much easier to match him. He
self-weaned about 11 months.

Anyway, hang in there this time and don't worry too much about supply.
If he's soaking diapers for you, he's fine. If you're not sure he's
getting enough you can always ask your doctor to weigh him before and
after he eats.

Good luck! I firmly believe that breastfeeding is one of the best and
nicest things we can do for our babies. :-)

Karen
--
The Orange Cat: Calendar, advice & tips for busy families in the San Gabriel Valley
www.theorangecat.org