National Child Abuse Prevention Month, 2008

Old April 9th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.education,misc.kids.health
Fred Goodwin, CMA

Default National Child Abuse Prevention Month, 2008

National Child Abuse Prevention Month, 2008

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2008/04/20080401-8.html

A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
April 1, 2008

Children are the hope and promise of our Nation, and our society has a
special duty to ensure young Americans get the care and attention they
need to succeed in life. During National Child Abuse Prevention Month,
we underscore our commitment to preventing child abuse and neglect so
that all children can live in safety and security.

Parents have a responsibility to safeguard their children from danger
and to provide the love, protection, and guidance youngsters need to
grow into confident and caring adults. In every community across the
Nation, good and courageous citizens are improving the lives of our
most vulnerable children with acts of compassion. The strength of
America lies in the ability of our citizens to make a positive
difference in the lives of our young people.

My Administration is committed to the safety of our Nation's youth. In
2006, I signed into law the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety
Act, which was designed to protect children from sexual and other
violent crimes, help prevent child pornography, and make the Internet
safer for our children. This law expands sex offender registration and
notification on a nationwide basis, provides a statutory basis for the
Project Safe Childhood program, and gives communities and law
enforcement the tools necessary to keep children out of harm's way.
Additionally, with strengthened Federal penalties, we will ensure that
those who prey on our children will be caught, prosecuted, and
punished to the fullest extent of the law.

As we observe National Child Abuse Prevention Month, we reaffirm our
loving commitment to America's youth and our dedication to building a
society in which all children can realize their full potential.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of
America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution
and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim April 2008 as
National Child Abuse Prevention Month. I encourage all citizens to
help protect our children from abuse and neglect and to take an active
role in creating safe communities.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of
April, in the year of our Lord two thousand eight, and of the
Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and
thirty-second.

GEORGE W. BUSH