Diaper Pail suggestions?

Old September 27th 04, 12:34 AM
Rebecca McGraw

Default Diaper Pail suggestions?

Hi to all,

I went to a baby shower at church this afternoon, and the mama-to-be
received two diaper pails, A Genie and a different one (the box said
comparable to a Genie but more economical since it uses regular bags).
Since my shower is in a month (someone said, "You're next!) I was by one
shower-goer asked, in a subtle finding-out sort of way, what I thought
of each and what did I plan to use, etc.
Well, I hope to be able to use cloth as much as possible, so a Diaper
Genie, with its cute little sausages o'plastic, won't do me much good.
Do any of you cloth-diapering mamas have any suggestions for a good
diaper pail or other dirty-diaper pre-laundry storage solution?

TIA!
Rebecca
10 more weeks!

Old September 27th 04, 01:07 AM
Luna

Ooh, a wet bag from Kathleen at Happy Tushies!! www.happytushies.com
I am not affiliated, and I don't even have one of these (I made one of my
own). . . but they are gorgeous. Before I made a wet bag, we just used a
plastic kitchen trash can with lid. I really like the bag, though - great
for traveling.
What sort of diapers/covers are you using? There are so many choices, I
remember how hard it was to decide!
Hannah
mom to 9 mo Jasper

Old September 27th 04, 01:25 AM
Leslie

Rebecca asked:

Do any of you cloth-diapering mamas have any suggestions for a good
diaper pail or other dirty-diaper pre-laundry storage solution?

I use something I got at Wal-Mart; I think it's actually a trash can, the kind
with the lid you can make pop up with your foot. At one point I used to soak
the diapers in the pail, but then it was so heavy that I had to get my husband
to pour it into the washing machine! So what I end up doing is dump whatever
solids can be dumped into the toilet (I don't swish them or even scrape them)
and then just throwing them in there until I am ready to wash them. Smell has
never been a problem.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old September 27th 04, 01:28 AM
Dagny

"Rebecca McGraw" wrote in message

Do any of you cloth-diapering mamas have any suggestions for a good
diaper pail or other dirty-diaper pre-laundry storage solution?

I use an open, smallish regular plastic trash can for cloth diapers. A
large bucket would serve the same purpose. I rinse poo pants before leaving
them in there. If it starts to smell before wash time, I take it into the
bathroom and put water in.

I use a larger metal can, with a lid, lined w/ kitchen bags for disposibles
and wipes and other trash.

Old September 27th 04, 02:09 AM
Cathy

Rebecca McGraw wrote:

Do any of you cloth-diapering mamas have any suggestions for a good
diaper pail or other dirty-diaper pre-laundry storage solution?

We used 2 10 litre plastic paint pails, from when FIL painted his house -
one for dirty, the other for wet. Cheap, lidded and effective!

Cathy

Old September 27th 04, 04:10 AM
Chotii

"Rebecca McGraw" wrote in message

Hi to all,

I went to a baby shower at church this afternoon, and the mama-to-be
received two diaper pails, A Genie and a different one (the box said
comparable to a Genie but more economical since it uses regular bags).
Since my shower is in a month (someone said, "You're next!) I was by one
shower-goer asked, in a subtle finding-out sort of way, what I thought of
each and what did I plan to use, etc.
Well, I hope to be able to use cloth as much as possible, so a Diaper
Genie, with its cute little sausages o'plastic, won't do me much good.
Do any of you cloth-diapering mamas have any suggestions for a good diaper
pail or other dirty-diaper pre-laundry storage solution?

I have a couple of round 'First Years' pails with locking lids. I do not
believe these are made anymore, because I've never been able to find any
new, and mine came from yard sales or thrift store. You might try plastic
5 gallon buckets with the spin-on lid (here's an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW)
but there are other brand names available. They all cost about the same.

--angela

Old September 27th 04, 12:19 PM
Rebecca McGraw

Luna wrote:

What sort of diapers/covers are you using? There are so many choices, I
remember how hard it was to decide!
Hannah
mom to 9 mo Jasper

I haven't the foggiest notion! I've looked all over the web and there
are so many choices, and each choice has those that love them and hate
them. I registered for for the heavy diaper-service cloth diapers from
Babies R Us, and someone has already made us a gift of a pack of Pampers
(they may be disposable, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the
mouth), so I am at least prepared cover her butt when I meet her and
find out what size she is.

Suggestions are welcome on diapers and covers as well! I saved a lot of
the past diaper threads from this ng also.

Less than 10 weeks to go, and I need to kick it into gear and get ready
for her!

Rebecca

Old September 27th 04, 05:28 PM
Luna

"Rebecca McGraw" wrote in message

Suggestions are welcome on diapers and covers as well! I saved a lot of
the past diaper threads from this ng also.

Less than 10 weeks to go, and I need to kick it into gear and get ready
for her!

Rebecca

I know about not looking a gift horse in the mouth - we used disposables for
the first week or two, and then a few more weeks for when we went out of the
house. Once I read http://www.diapershop.com/health.htm I knew we had to
quit. The cloth isn't hard to use when out, even on long vacations. I have
heard that many people love Nikky covers, and I'm a fan of fitted (velcro)
diapers so babe can go coverless at home. Also for the great poop
containment (no more washing covers every time he poops) and the ease of
putting them on a wiggly toddler. Diaperpin.com has great reviews of covers
and diapers. Favorite covers are home made fleece inner/PUL layer with
cotton print outside and fleece binding around the legs. I really like the
fleece binding. Snaps for covers because they figure out how to undo velcro
so quickly! Wool covers are super great too, though the aristocrat hasn't
been fitting well for the past month or so. I like the felted wool like
Nikkys etc. I don't think that the Babies R Us diapers are going to be
great absorbency wise so you may want to keep looking. If you do stick with
prefolds, get a few Snappis so you don't have to use pins!

Best of luck,
Hannah

Old September 27th 04, 09:14 PM
Chotii

Luna wrote:

What sort of diapers/covers are you using? There are so many choices, I
remember how hard it was to decide!

Suggestions are welcome on diapers and covers as well! I saved a lot of
the past diaper threads from this ng also.

I have used nothing but Mother-Ease diapers now for going on 7 years. I love
them. They are one-size for most babies (no need to buy more diapers in
other sizes), they stay *on*, I've never yet had a kid figure out how to get
them off, the nylon snaps are terrifically strong and durable - I think I've
had 2 snaps break in 7 years and they didn't make the diapers unusable - and
the covers simply don't leak. I can't think of more than a handful of leaks
in 7 years (important when you co-sleep!)

The per-use cost is low, although the startup cost is staggering.

Still, I'd buy them again. I may yet have to. Mine are getting threadbare
and I have had to sew doublers into half of them! But, they have an
outstanding resale value. If I could be a reseller for them, I'd do it in a
heartbeat. Alas, they no longer have resellers. You have to go to their
website: www.mother-ease.com . Oh, if only I got kickbacks for plugging
their product.

--angela

Old September 28th 04, 10:04 PM
Maggie

Rebecca McGraw spake thusly

Suggestions are welcome on diapers and covers as well! I saved a lot of
the past diaper threads from this ng also.

For the first three weeks we used disposables. (I was recovering from a
third degree tear and just wasn't able to lug buckets of nappies/diapers
around.) After that, we used infant size prefolds and Bummis covers
(super whisper wraps), which worked really well. Now (DS is 5 months)
we're using Motherease One Size diapers and the ME airflow covers, with
some regular size prefolds as backups, during the day. At night we use
a Bummis pull-on pant over a 'Snazzipants' (NZ made nappy).
http://www.snazzipants.co.nz/ (you can probably find similar type fitted
diapers in the US)

The prefolds are cheap, the ME diapers are not. I bought six ME new
initially, found they worked well, and have just arranged purchase of
some second-hand from a woman in Texas, via the Motherease forum:
http://forum.motherease.com/default.asp

The Bummis covers (with velcro) are great - I even use the small ones
over disposables when I have to use them for daycare, as otherwise we
get a lot of leakage. The ME Airflows (they're the ones with snaps) are
good, but don't fit as well on my son around the legs. I'll probably
still get a few in the larger sizes though.
--
Maggie