I was afraid it would come to this...

Old January 17th 04, 04:31 AM
Jenrose

Default I was afraid it would come to this...

I'm thinking about moving, myself. ) I'm thinking Portland or Seattle.

(My
sister lives in Portland, and she's single but really wants a child...I've
told her to just go for it--I could come there to live and we could help
each other with childcare...)

Portland is a great place to have a kid and raise a family. My daughter was
born there. We now live in Eugene, which is even better, family wise, but
not so great ad-agency wise. (My job started as advertising and paid next to
nothing. Wages here suck, bigtime. Portland is better.)

Jenrose

Old January 17th 04, 04:44 AM
Shannon G

"zeldabee" wrote in message
Yesterday, I got a call from daycare at about 4:00 saying that they'd run
out of milk for (4-month-old) Sprogly. I'd sent 20oz, which was more than

he
was eating each day last week. He's gone from 12-14oz/day pretty
consistently to about 16-18oz/day last week, and now this. I generally can
pump 14-16oz/day. So I was running a little ahead of him by about

10oz/week,
and as of last week I'm behind by about the same amount. At this rate I'll
go through my freezer stash in probably a couple of weeks, and we'll have

start giving him formula at daycare.

My theory is that his eating pattern changed over the week-and-a-half

break
I had over the holidays--he's doing less of the reverse-cycle nursing than
he was, though he does still nurse a few times each night. (I couldn't

tell
you exactly how many, because neither one of us really wakes up

completely.)
That, and he's just getting bigger, and eating more.

I've been afraid this was going to happen for a while. I just can't pump
more than 17oz/day at an absolute maximum, more like 16 on a regular

basis.
I drink water, I take Domperidone, fenugreek, alfalfa, blessed thistle,

eat
oatmeal cookies... and every minute of my day is packed full, I can't work
in any more pumping sessions. I just don't let down for the pump--at least

don't feel a letdown, as I do when nursing--I'm only pumping out what's
built up between nursing or pumping sessions.

I'd have no problem if I were just nursing--no problem at all. I also have
no problem nursing him at night--I've gotten very adept at going right

back
to sleep, and I'm used to it at this point. I'd rather nurse him every two
hours at night than to give him formula, but it doesn't look like I'll

have
that choice.

I was almost in tears yesterday on the way to get to daycare to feed my
son...I'd really hoped not to have to give him formula. I don't know why

it
bothers me *so* much. I am doing everything I can. Everything. I've put

such
an investment into giving him my milk.

And before anyone makes the suggestion--I *must* work full-time, and can't
take time to nurse during working hours. I've been a little sensitive on
that subject lately. I've been feeling so much resentment toward
SAHMs...during my vacation it felt like I'd died and gone to heaven. I

don't
mean to belittle what SAHMs do, especially those with multiple kids. I'm
just so disappointed, and it felt so easy to me to stay home with him,
compared to what I've been doing.

Has anyone else reached this point? How do I wrap my mind around giving

him
formula after all I've been doing?

Did the Nursing Mother's tincture help you at all? I used 2-3 droppersful
1-2 times per day with great success. Perhaps you could try upping the
dosage? Just a thought.

Shannon

Old January 20th 04, 05:56 PM
zeldabee

Shannon G was all, like:

Did the Nursing Mother's tincture help you at all? I used 2-3
droppersful 1-2 times per day with great success. Perhaps you could
try upping the dosage? Just a thought.

I've been using 2 droppers 2x/day. I don't know if it's helped, honestly,
with all I'm throwing at this. I smell like an herb farm. I wonder what my
co-workers think.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old January 20th 04, 06:01 PM
zeldabee

Jenrose was all, like:
"zeldabee" wrote in message
Jenrose was all, like:
"zeldabee" wrote...
Yesterday, I got a call from daycare at about 4:00 saying that
they'd run out of milk for (4-month-old) Sprogly. I'd sent 20oz,
which was more than he was eating each day last week.

Query... what pump are you using and have you tried different ones?

Avent Isis, Medela PIS, and Medela Classic. I just don't let down for
pumps...

Hmmmm... wonder if the Whittlestone would work for you (it's
mechanism is *soooo* different that sometimes it is more effective
for some people.) Dunno if they're rent-able....

I don't know either, but I've never seen one for rent. As it is, I've spent
$225 on the PIS, rented the Classic for 3 months for $155 (rental is up in
early February, not sure if I should continue it), $40 or so for the Isis. I
had no idea when I started out that this would be so involved. Now, in
addition to all the money I've spent, I'll have to buy formula as well. (

How quickly does powdered formula go bad after you open it?

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old January 20th 04, 06:31 PM
Jenrose

I don't know either, but I've never seen one for rent. As it is, I've

spent
$225 on the PIS, rented the Classic for 3 months for $155 (rental is up in
early February, not sure if I should continue it), $40 or so for the Isis.

had no idea when I started out that this would be so involved. Now, in
addition to all the money I've spent, I'll have to buy formula as well.

(

Ouch!

How quickly does powdered formula go bad after you open it?

Oh, I think it's good for about a month, opened.

Jenrose

Old January 20th 04, 08:45 PM
Anne Rogers

How quickly does powdered formula go bad after you open it?

4 weeks, for supplementation, cartons or sachets are the way forward!

Old January 20th 04, 10:01 PM
zeldabee

Anne Rogers was all, like:
How quickly does powdered formula go bad after you open it?

4 weeks, for supplementation, cartons or sachets are the way forward!

I don't think I've seen those, though--just smallish (8oz?) ready-to-feed
(*very* expensive), quarts (or maybe liters) ready-to-feed (ditto), or cans
of powder (somewhat expensive).

Sprogly is currently eating 5-8oz/day more than I pump.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old January 21st 04, 09:23 AM
KC

{{{Zeldabee}}}

I just wanted to give you a hug. I had to work with my first dd, and
don't work now, so I know you are right.

Keep your mind open to possibilities for the future if you are not
happy with the way your life is now. I so hated not being with my
kids that over time we rearranged everything so that I could be with
my kids. It took 3 years, but we did it. I do have a small business
that I run, but I am still home with my kids.

KC

"zeldabee" wrote in message .. .
Yesterday, I got a call from daycare at about 4:00 saying that they'd run
out of milk for (4-month-old) Sprogly. I'd sent 20oz, which was more than he
was eating each day last week. He's gone from 12-14oz/day pretty
consistently to about 16-18oz/day last week, and now this. I generally can
pump 14-16oz/day. So I was running a little ahead of him by about 10oz/week,
and as of last week I'm behind by about the same amount. At this rate I'll
go through my freezer stash in probably a couple of weeks, and we'll have to
start giving him formula at daycare.

My theory is that his eating pattern changed over the week-and-a-half break
I had over the holidays--he's doing less of the reverse-cycle nursing than
he was, though he does still nurse a few times each night. (I couldn't tell
you exactly how many, because neither one of us really wakes up completely.)
That, and he's just getting bigger, and eating more.

I've been afraid this was going to happen for a while. I just can't pump
more than 17oz/day at an absolute maximum, more like 16 on a regular basis.
I drink water, I take Domperidone, fenugreek, alfalfa, blessed thistle, eat
oatmeal cookies... and every minute of my day is packed full, I can't work
in any more pumping sessions. I just don't let down for the pump--at least I

Old January 21st 04, 12:30 PM
Kate J

I think supplementing is generally considered a bad idea if you want
to continue the breastfeeding relationship for a while yet. It
interrupts the whole demand/supply thing and your milk eventually
dwindles to nothing. You have a less hungry baby in the evenings who
doesn't stimulate your breasts enough etc, you pump less during the
following day, and so on.

I went through the same thing when my baby started daycare but it
turned out that when the staff were asked to hold off on the milk and
try other things to please the baby, she went down to drinking as much
as I could pump in that time (which for me was about 12 oz max). I
think it's very easy for the daycare staff to allow the baby to glug
away on a bottle, and hard for you to extract that same amount in the
baby's absence. Maybe if they *have* to give something they could give
water? But it would be better if they could just find alternative
distractions - 20 oz sounds like a lot for a 4 month old baby to me.
If the staff know that this stuff is like liquid gold (and most don't
realise that) they may be less likely to resort to it when the baby
could probably have been made happy some other way. Lots of nursing
babies drink hardly anything at daycare and make up for it at night,
so she is unlikely to starve!

Good luck - the working/pumping thing can be a struggle but it is a
wonderful accomplishment.

Kate

Second babies Lina Pregnancy 20 June 29th 04 09:07 PM
Panic attacks. Jill Pregnancy 34 April 22nd 04 12:13 AM
Parents storm Chic. HS protesting no security, violence Kane General 9 February 13th 04 09:33 AM
What to do next ColoradoSkiBum General 110 November 21st 03 02:00 AM
At wit's end (looooong) ColoradoSkiBum General 70 October 12th 03 02:48 AM