31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long)

Old August 10th 03, 09:29 AM
Elly

Default 31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long)

I had my usual every-4-weeks ob/gyn appointment on Thursday, and the
ultrasound appointment on Friday - all is well :-))

Ob/gyn appointment:
- blood pressu110/65 (around the usual, so normal for me)
- urine: sterile (another YAY!)
- swelling: feet yes, hands no - so she contributed this to the heat and
humid days we are having (around 40 degrees Celsius!). Fortunately, the
swollen feet do not hurt, just make it a bit uncomfortable for me to wear
shoes other than sneakers.
- weight gain: 6.6 lbs in 4 weeks - 26 lbs altogether during the pregnancy.

Then I went in to see the ob/gyn, and she gave me grief about my weight; she
said this is too much, her practice is to recommend a pregnancy weight gain
of 26 lbs altogether, etc. I told her I am still eating balanced meals,
careful of what I'm choosing, and that I don't really thing 6 lbs is too
much to gain in 4 weeks' period; the official recommendation does state that
you gain more during the last trimester, and that the total gain of
pregnancy should be no less than 20 lbs and no more than 37.4 lbs, and I am
still within that frame. I also indicated my swollen feet to her (the nurse
was filling in my chart and noticed the swelling at the beginning of the
appointment, and she's in another room). She said, "yes, well, this could be
it, the last two days have been really terribly hot and humid"... but she
still gave me a diet menu (1700 calories) and recommended that I pay
attention to what I eat.
On to the gynaecological exam - everything fine, cervix closed, no changes,
the vaginal tablets she gave me 4 weeks ago helped so no vaginal discharge.
The nurse mentioned prior to me going in to see the ob/gyn that my Pap-test
results were back, but I was so thrown off by the weight gain discussion
that I forgot to ask. I think they must be OK, though, since the ob/gyn did
not mention anything about them to me (I had CIN1 two years ago, but at the
annual check last year it was normal).
The ob/gyn told me to come to my ultrasound exam the next day, but moved my
schedule for 2 pm - I was scheduled for 1 pm - she said she might be running
late, so it'd be better to come a bit later and not spend too much time
waiting.

Ultrasound appointment on Friday:
I have to mention that DH is on a collective holiday (the entire firm
closed) since July 31st, so he was now accompanying me everywhere I go. My
ob/gyn's practice is that you have to schedule the appointments you want to
take with your partner, and they can be scheduled only for Wednesdays. Well,
as my DH works abroad, and the appointments were to be scheduled only for
Wednesdays, he'd have to take a day off work, and I told him I'd rather him
to save the personal time off work for the days closer to the childbirth,
since he can't take a holiday; when he *spends* his 3 days childbirth leave,
he can only take personal time off (accumulated during the year and based on
overtime) and unpaid leave. So, he did not come to the appointments with me
before.
Anyway, we were walking down the hall towards my ob/gyn's office, and he
said, "please ask her if I can come in as well". I said I would, but that I
can't promise anything because of her rule (scheduling only Wednesday
appointments with the father). I came in to let the nurse know I'm there and
give her my prenatal data, and asked her if she thinks the ob/gyn might let
DH sit at the appt as well. The nurse mentioned again the rule, but said it
can't hurt to ask, so to ask her when I go in.

It seems that our timing was perfect, because when we came, there was only
one woman ahead of us, and nobody was waiting after us. We waited for like
10 minutes, and when the nurse called me in and I stepped into the U/S room,
I started opening my mouth to ask the ob/gyn about DH sitting in, and she
stopped me and said that it's OK, he can come in when she finishes with the
measurements. I apologised for not making an official *future mother and
father appointment* and explained our somewhat *international* situation,
and she said it's fine, she doesn't have anyone scheduled after us so she
has time.
The measurements are all fine, all on target for my due date. She mentioned
my weight gain again, now with an explanation - "You are having a big baby
in a small bump" sort of thing - she calculated the baby's weight at 2 kg
(4.8 lbs). Heartbeat normal, everything fine.
Then she asked the nurse to call DH in. He came in, she told him where to
sit down and went over the entire body of the baby 5 times at her own
initiative (I could not believe this! She is usually very professional and
kind, but not that friendly!)! The tour started at the top of the head, then
down the spine, the heart beating steadily; she stopped to ask us if we
still don't want to know the baby's sex, we both said no (so DH did not
change his mind!) and she proceeded with showing us the legs. I asked her
about the baby's position (it was transverse every time before), and she
said it was head-down! I was relieved, but still asked her if it would turn
again, and she said it's not likely, the babies usually go head down around
week 31-32, and I'm right on target for that (the baby's position was my
secret fear - I was feet first). So, the baby is head-down, two hands next
to the face made into fists - and it was funny because we both saw one
little fist kicking me on the monitor and the bump moved! - and the feet are
up and sort of aiming for my ribs ;-) She made a point of showing us the
baby's face - the baby just woke up so it appeared sleepy, opening and
closing its eyes and mouth. At that moment I felt rhythmic pulsing , and I
asked her if the baby was having hiccups, and she said, "no, it's just
practicing breathing"!
She took about 40 minutes with us, and then told me that this is my last
ultrasound (so it was fantastic that DH was there like that! Oh, of course,
in case something happens I might have an emergency U/S, but officially this
is the last one) - my next appointment is in 4 weeks (September 4th) and
then we will proceed with CTGs.

DH & I went out, totally over the Moon about it - he said he can't put down
to words what he just saw, he was so happy. I loved the fact that it all
could be seen so clearly, the baby looked like a newborn already.
My favourite images of the baby are its face (oh yes, ob/gyn said it has
beautiful lips - maybe she wanted to indicate that the baby is a girl?);
then the heart beating, and then that one little foot ready for a kick. And
the moving of the lips.. What can I say? We are totally in love with this
baby ;-)
What really boggled me is that I get to see this baby *now* (on the U/S) and
then at birth - and then it will look almost exactly the same!!

Update:
I was on holiday for 3 weeks at DH's place, and we went shopping for a baby.
Right now we've got 90% of the things we need, and this shopping was really
fun!
We went to a couple of different stores because the discounts were from 20
to 40% so it was reasonable to shop around before we actually decided where
to get what.

At the first store, we bought Inglesina Zippy Travel System (it has
everything we need, the height is perfect for both of us, the material is
very good, and the colours we've chosen is blue-anthracite shade with
details in beige and red), Chicco Plus Go baby carrier (we love it - it has
3 positions: one with the baby lying down, which can be used from the
beginning and for nursing as well, one with the baby sitting facing a
parent, and one with the baby sitting facing out. It's adjustable, so both
DH & I can carry it from the beginning up to 9 kg (20 lbs)) and Avent Isis
breast pump (the ob/gyn at the childbirth class said to take it to the
hospital, and the woman at the store said I will have no problem returning
it if I found no use for it) - we paid all that 380 Euro (which is about the
same in US$), got a discount of 47 Euro and a present: mattress & cushion
for the stroller.

At the second store, we bought things I'll need for the hospital (sleeping
gown which allows nursing, etc.), hygiene products for the baby at the
hospital and first weeks at home, a few bottles (we plan to use the bottle
with my milk eventually so that DH can give the bottle to the baby when I
start working again), other small items, and baby clothes along with other
things. DH went a bit *crazy* in buying booties/socks - he bought 2 pairs
for 0-3 months size and 4 pairs for 3-6 months size, one of them with a
matching hat ;-) We paid all that around 312 Euro, and got a discount of 45
?.

At the third store, we bought some more baby clothes, baby monitor (have yet
to try it out, but it was recommended to us friends), snowsuit, blanket for
the stroller, blanket for the cradle, and some other items for us and my
Mom. We paid all that around 159 Euro, and got a discount of 32 Euro, and a
bonus that allows us to buy clothes and shoes at 30% discount the next time
we go there.

We haven't got too many baby clothes, I think it's just the right
amount -I've got 1-2 items in 0-3 months' size of everything from the basic
baby clothes' list, and 3 items in 3-6 months size, plus the sweater and the
snowsuit in 6-9 months size; we won't have a baby shower - over here people
come a month after the baby's
birth and give you presents; there is no baby registry, but closer friends
and relatives usually ask you what to get for the baby so if you are
organized you won't get *double* presents (maybe just a few). Some of our
friends who came for 2 weeks for a visit already got us a present: baby
outfit for the day (yellow with white bears), and this is our first present
we received for the baby; then my mother's colleague gave us baby shirts
(the ones opened at the back and tied) - she said they came so handy for her
2 boys, she wanted us to have the same. I'm not counting on hand-me-downs
since most of our friends have small babies/no babies, but I did not want to
buy too much stuff because we will get presents.
As for the *problem* (well, other people thought it might be a problem, not
us!) of not knowing the baby's sex when buying clothes, we chose white,
yellow, green, purple, red, light grey and some light blue (I have no
problem of baby wearing blue and being a girl; on the other hand, I hate
pink so would not buy anything in pink even if I knew it's a girl!).

We still need to get some things - we will have custom-made mattress for the
cradle, some cloth diapers, baby bath tub, things you buy in the pharmacy
(for me and for baby), and a toy to put over the cradle and one for the
travel system. My mother said not to buy any cradle linen and blankets for
playing on the floor - she wants to make me some (in fact, she just took out
the cradle to take the measurements for the linen!).

My hospital bag list is done, so now I only need to wash those items that go
to the hospital with me and pack 3 hospital bags - one for me (the standard
staying period at the hospital is 3 days over here), one for DH to bring for
the baby on the day we go home, and one with my going-home clothes. There
will also be a small bag with snacks/drinks (DH will keep it in the car and
bring it up to the room after the delivery) and a belly purse where he will
keep everything he'll need during the delivery (like digital camera (I will
take a standard camera and some extra film for the time we spend apart in
the hospital - I will be rooming-in with the baby and another mother&baby
and I'm sure I will have plenty of photo opportunities once the visiting
hours are over, and I don't want to miss those just because DH took the
digital camera home to download the pictures!), cell phone in case we get
separated during the early labour check ups, list of people to call, etc.).
Another thing that you MKPers reminded me of is to make my own tape for
drive to the hospital (+45 minutes) and delivery and to put it in the car.

Can you believe we haven't chosen a name yet?!! We haven't even vetoed some
off the lists yet! OK, in my head I have a shorter version, but we still
need to go over the lists!!

Otherwise, we are doing fine! I have some backache, but swimming (twice a
day - morning and evening), walking in the evening and DH giving me back
rubs helps.
The swelling of the feet is constant but not painful (only inconvenient
because I can only stand to walk around barefoot or wearing sneakers). DH is
being busy trying to collect all the documents we will need for him taking
his paternal leave after I finish my maternal leave (at the moment it seems
like I will be a SAHM for 5-6 months, and then he will be SAHF for the next
6 months - but we still need to collect all the documents because we live in
different cities, etc.). If we pull it off so that he can stay at home, it
would be really great - not only for the chance for him to bond with the
baby more, but also for me to have some quiet time for studying (Law School,
4th academic year-the last one).

DH is on holiday until September 1st, and I work from home now and go to the
office for only couple of hours a week, so we are really enjoying this
period. We are going out a lot on day trips, for romantic dinners in the
evening, etc. - I can't believe we only have 8-10 weeks to go!!

Oh, and I almost forgot - my SIL announced she is 5 months pregnant with her
first! We were really thrilled to hear that - now our baby will have a
cousin to play with after all (none of my relatives apart from my former
step-brother (my mother divorced his father in June, but we are not
blood-related) has any children)!
She is not planning to get married, only to live with her boyfriend, and
this freaks her parents out a bit, but I think she and her boyfriend will be
just fine. She came for a visit (she lives in another city) and we talked a
lot about being pregnant, etc. We got so excited by the news (she gave us
the news over the phone) that we bought 3 outfits for her child (same as for
ours, only in different colours).

Congratulations to all who reached the end ;-)
Wishing you all happy pregnancies and parenting,
Elly
31 weeks + 6 days
EDD October 6th

Old August 10th 03, 04:25 PM
Dagny

I think your weight is fine. My first OB looked me up and down at my first
appt and said I would probably gain 40 lbs by the looks of me. Meaning I'm
a tall woman, and at a normal but high normal weight he surmised I was a
good eater. Of course US recommendations are 25-35 pounds. I expect to
have to lose 10-15 pounds of fat after the baby comes and the low-effort
weight loss has occurred. Hopefully the kid will like long walks and will
breastfeed well.

I can see that it might happen if the pregnancy goes on particularly long.
At the same point as you, I'm up about 28 pounds, and neither OB #1 (who I'm
seeing as a perinatology referral) nor OB #2 nor independent midwife has
said anything about my weight whatsoever. At least 9 pounds of that weight
was put on in the first trimester 'cause eating was the drug that kept me
functioning and not nauseaus.

You are so prepared!!! I am admirous.

Dagny
EDD 10/6/03

Old August 10th 03, 05:00 PM
GoofeeGyrl

I had my usual every-4-weeks ob/gyn appointment on Thursday, and the
ultrasound appointment on Friday - all is well :-))

Yay! I aggree about the weight gain, telling you that 26 is too much is kind
of silly. I have gained 34 now at 36 weeks, and I was told at just this last
appt (where I had gained 4lbs in 2 weeks, vs the previous 4 weeks where I had
only gained 1) that they liked to see 25-35, that I would probably get a few
pounds over that, and would most likely have about 10-15 of extra fat after the
pregnancy. But also that there is nothing I can do about it now, as long as I
eat a healthy diet, all that usual stuff. I am just thrilled as with Sophie I
gained a lot closer to 45, possibly 50, I did not even want to know at the end!

Take care, glad everything is going great for you-
Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2 years
and girl #2, due Sept 7th!
Old August 10th 03, 09:13 PM
Kari

Wow, sounds like you are way ahead of me! I haven't even thought about
packing my bag yet!! And we dont have names picked either

I wouldn't worry about the weight gain at all. It just suprises me that its
still an issue, and for 26lbs? I just dont know about that one.

So, are you thinking its a girl? I bought a pink outfit the other day just
because...it was on sale and it was really cute from the baby Gap. I went
through and organized my items and found I had NO baby girl items at all
until the 6 mos size but a load of boy things plus a few unisex sleepers. So
I thought, just in case, I better have something she could wear. Otherwise
Im waiting until he/she gets here to buy much else.

Sounds like you're doing great with everything else!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due in 8 weeks

Old August 11th 03, 08:08 AM
Tiina News

Sounds like a great appointment, Elly! But like everyone else has said,
your weight is fine, and a calorie-restricted diet does not seem like a
good idea.

I'm glad you had a lot of fun at the ultrasound - and shopping! Makes me
almost sorry I have no reason to shop this time around. That is, it
would if I weren't this lazy.. :-)

Keep up the good work, and take care!

Tiina
SAHM to Emilia,4
EDD Sept.15 (35 weeks today!!)

Old August 13th 03, 10:53 PM
Em

"Elly" wrote in message
I had my usual every-4-weeks ob/gyn appointment on Thursday, and the
ultrasound appointment on Friday - all is well :-))

Ob/gyn appointment:
- blood pressu110/65 (around the usual, so normal for me)
- urine: sterile (another YAY!)
- swelling: feet yes, hands no - so she contributed this to the heat and
humid days we are having (around 40 degrees Celsius!). Fortunately, the
swollen feet do not hurt, just make it a bit uncomfortable for me to wear
shoes other than sneakers.
- weight gain: 6.6 lbs in 4 weeks - 26 lbs altogether during the

pregnancy.

Sounds like things are great! I just love that our appointments keep going
like this :-)

[...]

Ooh! I don't like this at all. Water weight can have a big impact on overall
weight and it isn't "real" really. Also, since you are still within the
range, it really doesn't seem appropriate to me that she gave you a diet
menu! Like I said in my update, I apparently gained 4 pounds in just two
weeks before my last appointment (though there is a possibility that their
scale was a bit "off" the appointment before, because I weighed less on it
than I thought I should relative to my scale at home, but this time it was
on target with my scale at home. Something may have been up the appt.
before!). According to my last appt. I only gained 2 pounds in an entire
month. Along those lines, not everyone gains at the precise 1 pound per week
level. I have heard of lots of women having "heavy" appointments where they
have gained several pounds, only to have gained 1 more by the next
appointment (as opposed to getting on a 6-pound per month schedule and
*staying* there, weight gain is variable over the weeks and month). I would
bet that you won't have the same type of gain next month at all and she gave
your grief for nothing!
snip
[...]

I'm glad your DH got to come in for the ultrasound! That is great! It sounds
like it was really thorough and probably great for him to experience.

[...]

I think it is so funny that both of us have had breathing experiences at our
last appointments. Must be the time for them to really get into their
"breathing lessons" :-) It is hard for me to imagine what the baby actually
looks like in there and what he is doing when he is moving around. Fairly
easy to picture the feet kicking, because I can so distinctly tell what is a
foot poking out. It is also easy to tell where his back is and how he kind
of pushes out with it, but it is hard for me to picture his little face in
there and what he is doing with his hands--sucking thumb, etc.--since I
can't feel that.

DH & I went out, totally over the Moon about it - he said he can't put

down
to words what he just saw, he was so happy. I loved the fact that it all
could be seen so clearly, the baby looked like a newborn already.
My favourite images of the baby are its face (oh yes, ob/gyn said it has
beautiful lips - maybe she wanted to indicate that the baby is a girl?);
then the heart beating, and then that one little foot ready for a kick.

And
the moving of the lips.. What can I say? We are totally in love with this
baby ;-)
What really boggled me is that I get to see this baby *now* (on the U/S)

and
then at birth - and then it will look almost exactly the same!!

So sweet :-) I checked a book out of the library recently that had a section
on newborn care in it and the pictures were of a *very* newborn baby. It was
neat to realize that that is almost where our baby is right now--that he
probably looks much the same, only with less of a fat layer. I'm getting
really excited to see him. I keep pictured him as dark haired, so I think I
will be surprised if he turns out to be a blondie! It is really fun for me
to imagine what he looks like and I'm really looking forward to seeing where
the genetic chips fell :-)

Avent Isis
breast pump (the ob/gyn at the childbirth class said to take it to the
hospital, and the woman at the store said I will have no problem returning
it if I found no use for it) - we paid all that 380 Euro (which is about

the
same in US$), got a discount of 47 Euro and a present: mattress & cushion
for the stroller.

That is the kind of pump I have as well (it was a gift). I'm planning to use
it minimally, but do want to be able to leave "just in case" expressed milk
bottles home with DH or my sister when I start working again after he is
born (I will only be working about 5 hours a week total, so he probably
won't need a bottle at all during the time I am gone, but I will feel better
about having left the option).

snip
At the third store, we bought some more baby clothes, baby monitor (have

yet
to try it out, but it was recommended to us friends), snowsuit, blanket

for
the stroller, blanket for the cradle, and some other items for us and my
Mom. We paid all that around 159 Euro, and got a discount of 32 Euro, and

bonus that allows us to buy clothes and shoes at 30% discount the next

time
we go there.

Sounds like you found some good deals and are really getting stocked up! We
haven't got a snowsuit yet--it is on my "wish list"! We also haven't got a
stroller. Because of the time of year, I don't anticipate needing a stroller
for several months after he is born, so we decided that if we didn't get one
as a gift, we would just wait until we actually need one before we buy one.

[...]

We don't have *that* many clothes either, but enough. I am holding off on
buying anything else, becuase I know a lot of people give cute little
outfits as gifts after the baby is born. I also want to figure out what we
like or use most of when he is actually here, before buying anything more in
advance.

[...]

Sounds like you are very prepared! We washed all of the baby clothes,
diapers, and blankets last week and I packed up his diaper bag to bring to
the birth center (has his going home outfit in it as well as diapers,
receiving blankets, and a few other supplies they told me to bring). I have
also been collecting things for my "birth supplies bag," but I haven't
actually packed them up yet. They are all piled on the rocking chair
together though, so they will be easy to pack. I even have a roll of film
and a new just-in-case battery for my camera sitting on the rocking chair.
My mom is going to be the snack-lady for the labor and we made a list last
week of foods she is supposed to supply us with when she arrives :-)

Can you believe we haven't chosen a name yet?!! We haven't even vetoed

some
off the lists yet! OK, in my head I have a shorter version, but we still
need to go over the lists!!

Since you are so prepared with everything else, I'm surprised you haven't
chosen yet! Better get to work ;-)

snip
DH is on holiday until September 1st, and I work from home now and go to

the
office for only couple of hours a week, so we are really enjoying this
period. We are going out a lot on day trips, for romantic dinners in the
evening, etc. - I can't believe we only have 8-10 weeks to go!!

Sounds like great quality time together before the baby gets here. I can't
believe how close the due dates are getting either! I'm starting to expect a
birth announcement from Cheryl S. any day now to kick off the late
summer/fall birth stories....

Glad things are going so well with you!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old August 14th 03, 06:15 PM
Cheryl S.

Em wrote in message
That's awesome! I'm glad my experience helped you recognize
it too--we have a bunch of good-breathing babies out there :-)
I just read in one of my pregnancy books that by 34 weeks,
babies practice breathe 30% of the time. Sometimes up to 85%
of an hour they are breathing, apparently! I also read that the most
busy breathing times are between 4-7 a.m., so that is probably why
a lot of people miss it.

I would not have felt it if my hand hadn't been there. As an
experiment, I took my hand away and could not feel anything, then put my
hand back and could feel it again.

Oh, speaking of things I read recently, apparently babies also
move about 200-700 times a day! (not counting hiccups or
breathing). I thought it sounded like a lot, but I idly counted
for a bit before I got out of bed this morning and he moved
45 times in like 15 minutes, so 700 doesn't sound like so many
anymore!

I would have guessed at least that many with this one! He sure is an
active one.

We have one of those big not-removeable-from-the-car-carseats.
Do those buntings work with those? I also wanted a snowsuit for
use in the stroller, but I'm not sure if we will even get a stroller

until
it is spring.

Oh, sorry. I'm sure they wouldn't work with anything other than the
infant seat/carrier types. If you go to the mall with any regularity, a
stroller might come in handy there, but that is the only place I used
one in the winter. Most malls rent them though.

I sense it any day now! (hope I'm right ;-)

If this is anything like your open leg vibes I'm in big trouble! ;-)
;-)
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 4 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

A semi-eventful appt! (33 weeks) Long! Em Pregnancy 8 August 13th 03 10:24 PM
My 32 week update - kind of long :) Alicia Elliott Pregnancy 6 August 10th 03 07:21 AM
25/27 Week appt update! Pregnancy 2 August 8th 03 10:56 PM
Ultrasound -28 weeks & update Elly Pregnancy 7 July 22nd 03 09:59 PM
Baby positions (Was: Ultrasound - 26 weeks & childbirth/breastfeeding class update) Nina Pregnancy 1 July 10th 03 04:35 PM