Some cities friendly to street hoops

Old July 16th 07, 09:43 PM posted to misc.kids
Ablang

Default Some cities friendly to street hoops

Some cities friendly to street hoops
By Tony Bizjak - Bee Staff Writer

Last Updated 6:07 am PDT Monday, July 16, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/274593.html

Portable basketball hoops planted in the parking lanes of residential
streets have long been lightning rods for controversy.

A reader brought up the topic recently, saying he was tired of dodging
people as he drove down his street. Street hoops are dangerous,
disrespectful to drivers and send the wrong message about what a
street is for, he argued.

There is an equally ardent argument to be made in the opposite
direction, we think.

People who put them up will tell you they are a wholesome slice of
Americana, a tradition like apple pie (but without calories).

Plenty of people have grown up playing hoops or other sports in the
street in front of their houses, and they survived and seem to respect
cars enough to get out of their way.

The philosophical divide is unlikely to be resolved. But there is a
real question of what's legal.

We checked with several local cities and the county of Sacramento, and
found that rules differ.

Most local ordinances ban basketball baskets, skateboard ramps,
tetherball poles and other sports stuff from the street or sidewalk.

There are some interesting exceptions we'll get to in a moment.

Candy Armstrong, a code official for the city of Elk Grove, offers her
city's straightforward view on its ban.

"We stress public safety," she said. "We don't encourage people
playing in the street."

The city has parks for that, she pointed out.

Safety isn't the only reason for bans or why people complain about
street hoops. The hoops take up parking spots and are unsightly in
some neighbors' eyes.

Folsom and Roseville officials have a different -- shall we say
laissez-play -- attitude.

In those cities, you are allowed to have a basketball basket -- or
other sports equipment -- in the street as long as you are using it.

When the game's over, you have to cart it off the street and onto your
property.

Folsom city spokeswoman Sue Ryan said she isn't sure why her city is
more lenient, other than that Folsom is a sporty, "family-friendly"
kind of place. "It just hasn't posed a problem," she said.

Roseville has the same rule as Folsom. Spokesman Jason Probst said
Roseville officials are trying to strike a balance between safety and
neighborhood livability.

"We want our residents to enjoy activities in front of their home,"
Probst said. "You see (hoops) more in cul-de-sacs and streets where
people are driving residential speeds, 15 to 20 miles per hour."

He suggested hoops on residential streets may even serve as a traffic
calming device, causing drivers to go slower than they otherwise
would.

One thing's definite: No hoops allowed on sidewalks. There isn't
enough room for them and for people with strollers, wheelchairs,
walkers, etc.

Officials around the region say hoop owners generally obey the rules
without problem when told.

If you live in the city of Sacramento and don't obey, they'll call
technical foul -- and cart the hoop away.

This hoops discussion stems from last week's column -- where we left
some unfinished business.

We wrote that the city of Sacramento allows RVs to be parked in the
driveway for only two days, or on the street 72 hours.

A bunch of readers asked: What about in the county?

The county has no specific RV rules. You can park them in the driveway
as long as you want, as long as they are operable. But no vehicles are
allowed more than 72 hours in one spot on the street.