heartburn?

Old March 14th 04, 08:38 PM
Christine

Default heartburn?

Ok, i feel really dumb right about now...lol....but never had
heartburn..so i dont know what it feels like BUT since i've been
pregnant i have had something that I THINK might be HB...it ALWAYS feels
like theres something down my throat...its like my food is just sitting
there.....is this HB?....tums DOES take it away =91for a little while=92
i've always called this HB but is it?

tia.....

Old March 14th 04, 09:08 PM
Nikki

Christine wrote:
Ok, i feel really dumb right about now...lol....but never had
heartburn..so i dont know what it feels like BUT since i've been
pregnant i have had something that I THINK might be HB...it ALWAYS
feels like theres something down my throat...its like my food is just
sitting there.....is this HB?....tums DOES take it away 'for a little
while' i've always called this HB but is it?

Sort of like heartburn. Probably some reflux too. I have it terrible when
pregnant. It is one of the worst symptoms for me.

Everything relaxes in your body when pregnant and the valve at the top of
your stomach can relax as well, or so I was told.

Acidic foods can make it worse. I couldn't lie down after I ate for at
least 2 hours. Elevating the head of your bed can help if you have problems
at night.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 14th 04, 09:56 PM
Jennifer and Robert Howe

When I was pregnant with ariana I had such bad heartburn and acid reflux. I
would keep a bottle of rolaids or tums right next to the bed on the night
stand and would have to down 2 to 4 of them at a time every time I woke up
which was like every 2 to 4 hours.

Jennifer
mommy of 1
ariana 8/17/03

Old March 14th 04, 10:57 PM
Carol Ann

:: When I was pregnant with ariana I had such bad heartburn and acid reflux.
:: would keep a bottle of rolaids or tums right next to the bed on the night
:: stand and would have to down 2 to 4 of them at a time every time I woke
up
:: which was like every 2 to 4 hours.
::
:: Jennifer
:: mommy of 1
:: ariana 8/17/03

This is one thing I will NOT miss! I hate it!! I'm sure my chronic
heartburn would not be so bad if I would cut out the sugary, starchy carbs
and fried food.

I will get back to low carbing after the baby arrives. It seemed to be the
ONLY cure for the pain!

~Carol Ann

Old March 14th 04, 11:00 PM
Carol Ann

: Ok, i feel really dumb right about now...lol....but never had
: heartburn..so i dont know what it feels like BUT since i've been
: pregnant i have had something that I THINK might be HB...it ALWAYS feels
: like theres something down my throat...its like my food is just sitting
: there.....is this HB?....tums DOES take it away 'for a little while'
: i've always called this HB but is it?
:
: tia.....

What Does Heartburn Feel Like?

Heartburn is a burning pain behind the lower breastbone that may radiate
upward toward the neck. It may also include the sensation of food or liquid
coming up into the throat or mouth (regurgitation), especially when bending
over or lying down. These symptoms may be accompanied by a bitter or acid
taste.

http://www.gastro.org/clinicalRes/br...html#Heartburn

Tips to Control Heartburn (Reflux)

The following are general measures the patient can take to reduce reflux:

a.. Avoid lying down right after eating and within two to three hours of
bedtime.
b.. Elevate the head of the bed four to six inches.
c.. Lose weight if overweight. (Don't do while pregnant!)
d.. Stop smoking.
e.. Avoid eating large meals. Instead, eat smaller, more frequent meals.
f.. Avoid:
a.. Chocolate
b.. Coffee and alcohol
c.. Fried and fatty foods
d.. Mint products (i.e., peppermint, spearmint)
e.. Carbonated beverages, and citrus fruits or juices
f.. Tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard and vinegar
g.. Aspirin and most pain medicines (other than acetaminophen). (Don't
do while pregnant!)

Hope that helps!

~Carol Ann

Old March 15th 04, 12:12 AM
Nikki

Carol Ann wrote:

The following are general measures the patient can take to reduce
reflux:

Good list.

The # one cure all for the ladies here.....Give Birth :-)

I forgot to mention it in my previous post but this was gone by the day
after I gave birth. It happened that way both times even though I dealt
with it very early on in pregnancy (long before the baby himself was causing
any pressure). Thank heavens!! My feet - they are still big though, lol.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)