Scare and now bed rest

Old October 2nd 04, 01:57 PM
Tara

Default Scare and now bed rest

I had a big scare and trip to the hospital Tuesday night. Tuesday
afternoon, I started feeling some cramping. It didn't go away after
lying down and drinking lots of water, so I called my OB and was told
to go to the hospital. The nurses put the monitor on me and saw some
contractions. They gave me an IV of fluids and three shots of
Brethine, which gave me the shakes. The contractions stopped and I
went home about 1:00 a.m.

I started cramping again Wednesday morning. I already had a
perinatalist appointment scheduled for that day, so I went on in to
see him. My cervix was still closed and very long (nearly 7 cm.) He
told me the cramps and contractions were likely the twins getting so
big so quickly that they are stretching out my uterus and causing
irritation.

He told me to quit work now and go on bed rest. He called it bed
rest, but it's not strict bed rest. I can move around the house and
recline on the couch. I can go out to eat or see a movie once a week.
I can go to the store if I really need something, go straight in and
straight out. Mostly, I just have to severely cut back on my activity
and have my feet up the majority of the time. He also told me to take
500 mg. of magnesium four times a day.

I've felt better since Wednesday. I've felt a little heaviness in my
belly a few times, but no cramping. Luckily, the long-term sub that I
had already lined up for my maternity leave was able to start Friday.

So, I'm off to Google old bed rest threads! I'll probably be here a
whole lot more from now on!

Tara

Old October 2nd 04, 03:50 PM
Donna Metler

"Tara" wrote in message
[...]

I definitely empathize. I'm glad you had a substitute lined up. One reason
that I went ahead and took a leave for this year was because I remembered
what happened last time, when I was due in April and had a substitute booked
then, but ended up on leave in January. I believe that they finally got a re
liable substitute in 2 weeks before my leave expired. Not good on the kids.
And it's very hard to go from doing everything to doing nothing-I'm glad
that you're at least getting a few weeks of modified with some freedoms
instead of going straight to "get up to go to the bathroom, otherwise stay
in bed"-which is about where I've been the last 6 weeks.

www.sidelines.org is a great resource for bedresting moms.

Tara

Old October 2nd 04, 04:22 PM
Kazh

Sounds scary, take the doctors advice and take care of yourself and the =
babies.

"Tara" wrote in message =
I had a big scare and trip to the hospital Tuesday night. Tuesday
afternoon, I started feeling some cramping. It didn't go away after
lying down and drinking lots of water, so I called my OB and was told
to go to the hospital. The nurses put the monitor on me and saw some
contractions. They gave me an IV of fluids and three shots of
Brethine, which gave me the shakes. The contractions stopped and I
went home about 1:00 a.m.

I started cramping again Wednesday morning. I already had a
perinatalist appointment scheduled for that day, so I went on in to
see him. My cervix was still closed and very long (nearly 7 cm.) He
told me the cramps and contractions were likely the twins getting so
big so quickly that they are stretching out my uterus and causing
irritation. =20

Old October 2nd 04, 09:19 PM
Cam & Shane

Hi Tara

I'm glad everything is OK now. I hope you can find heaps to amuse you while
you are on bed rest (yay the internet!!!)

Camille

---

Old October 2nd 04, 09:31 PM
Anne Rogers

how far along are you?

Sorry you had a scare, it can be very scary, I had a few though the protocol
here in the UK isn't for such agressive management, which didn't reassure
me, as you are doing bedrest you know you are doing the best thing for your
babies. There are also some good websites about bed rest, which I wish I had
taken seriously, I ended up basically doing bed rest simply as pain
management and I didn't deal with it too well. Things I should have done
were get dressed each day and planned some things I wanted to do like
sorting out photos, make yourself a list of activities and make yourself do
them. Some people find keeping a journal helps.

Old October 3rd 04, 01:14 AM
Mamma Mia

"Tara" wrote in message
[...]

i forget how many weeks you are?

have fun anyway doing your bed rest thing - i guess there are tougher jobs!

christine

Old October 3rd 04, 01:15 AM
Cathy

Tara wrote:
I had a big scare and trip to the hospital Tuesday night.

Pleased you're feeling better now, but wow, what a scare. Take it easy over
the next wee while.

Cathy
DD 8 Jan 03
EDD 8 Dec 04

Old October 3rd 04, 04:44 AM
Donna Metler

"Mamma Mia" wrote in message
u...

"Tara" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, Bedrest is one of the toughest things I've ever done-6 weeks so
far, and we're hoping for 10 more to make it to 38 weeks and full-term. If
you haven't done it, it's hard to imagine the level of stress which comes
from being in a situation where it has been prescribed, and not being able
to do anything else, while watching your family struggle to keep up with
everything you normally do (and feeling completely worthless to them), not
being able to work if you're used to working out side the house, and just
plain the physical PAIN which comes from being stuck in one position most of
the day.

Modified bedrest is a little easier, but it is NOT easy and NO vacation-and
no one's idea of fun after about day 2.

christine

Old October 3rd 04, 05:59 AM
Irrational Number

Tara wrote:

I had a big scare and trip to the hospital Tuesday night.

Take a few days to feel sucky for being
put on bed rest, then use this time wisely
to prepare for the babies. I mourned for
a few weeks, because I had to cancel SO MANY
engagements (my show that I was playing piano
in, playing piano for a friend's wedding, etc.,
etc.). Bed rest sucks, even modified. I was
allowed to walk around the house twice a day,
but not permitted to go outside. Much later
on, I was allowed to go out... (I have to
admit, I cheated twice.)

I had 5 months of modified rest. After
the mourning period, I used the time to
set up my baby registry (online, of course),
order furniture for the family room, re-organize
the house (telling DH to move this here, that
there), and catch up on movies with Netflix.
Let me tell you, without the Internet, I would
have lost my mind!!! I could even check out
books from the library online, then have DH
pick them up.

But I did improve. My obgyn said my colouring
was better, the pain subsided after awhile,
the contractions stopped, and we kept Pillbug
inside until it was time. (He tried to escape
at 19 weeks.)

-- Anita --