Bed rest for me :(

Old April 30th 04, 05:08 PM
Fer

Default Bed rest for me :(

Well the verdict came in yesterday it's bedrest until I deliver. My
Midwives conferred with the OB and I got the phone call yesterday afternoon.
Apparently they found in my 24 collection that my protein and uric acid
levels are at concerning levels. That coupled with my elevated blood
pressure is not good.
They are not giving me the title of pre-eclampsia ,,,yet. So far I have to
stay resting (bed, couch, computer), repeat blood work (liver), do another
24 hr collect next week, have a U/S, begin NST twice a week and meet with
the OB. The chances of having my homebirth just went down to a fraction
above nil.

It seems so strange to me to have all of this happen especially since I
'feel' just fine. I am just so disappointed for so many reasons...I wanted
to deliver in the comfort of MY home, I wanted this babe to come into this
world without the glaring sterility of a hospital, I wanted to be able to
share this experience with my family, I wanted to be able to stay away from
the interventions, I truly believed this was a natural process I could get
through, I wanted to spend these last few weeks giving my other children the
attention they'll miss out on soon, I don't want this to make me keep crying
and I want this sudden anxiety to stop making me scared.

I know this is what I need to do for the sake of the babe and myself but I
can't help grieving over it. :*-(

Jenn*who'll be posting A LOT more*
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04 (Day1 of BR)

Old April 30th 04, 07:13 PM
Cam & Shane

My heart goes out to you. I have heard that it is not at all fun to be
stuck on bed rest.

A couple at my antenatal class had to have a c-section due to complications
but they came into the class this week with their 3 week old healthy,
beautiful baby and told us what a wonderful experience it was - even though
it was nothing what they had imagined or wanted. Aim ahead for when you
have your little baby home and well (as well as you being healthy).

Good luck

Camille

---

Old April 30th 04, 08:47 PM
Amy

I'm sorry you're on bedrest...we don't have too far to go though, my
induction is going to be around June 25th also.
A hospital birth can still be great, the problem is in the debates on
hospital/home births, either side tend to bring out the worst cases in what
they oppose, so you hear about disastrous home births with incompetent
midwives, and high tech interventionalist, stressful hospital births.
Obviously there is a lot in the middle!
I'd always dreamed of homebirth, but as I was induced for my son's
stillbirth, I ended up in hospital, and as I'll be induced this time I'll be
in hospital again. But my son's birth was great, I had dimmed lights, music
playing, lavender oil, my best friend and my fiance to rub my back, I was
able to walk around, use the shower, squat over a beanbag, deliver in the
position I wanted. They honestly don't need 500w halogen floodlights and the
stench of disinfectant in order to tie a cord, weigh, measure etc! I can't
honestly think of anything I'd have done differently at home. The only
intervention I had was the induction. I want my delivery to be pretty much
the same this time, except of course for my daughter to be alive!
So you can still have a great hospital birth, just have a good birthplan,
someone to advocate, and be clear about what you want. One thing that helped
is that I only had one non-family member present, and that was my midwife,
so I wasn't seen by a variety of different people to add to my stress and
humiliation. The same will go this time, just with my OB on call should
complications arise.

Old April 30th 04, 09:49 PM
Donna Metler

[...]

Sending good vibes your way. The good news is that by catching it early,
they can probably keep it from becoming full pre-eclampsia.

You might want to check and see if your hospital has a birthing center-you
might at least be able to get a somewhat homelike atmosphere, and still have
your midwife do the delivery unless it is really necessary to intervene.

Old May 1st 04, 03:05 AM
Irrational Number

Fer wrote:
Well the verdict came in yesterday it's bedrest until I deliver. [...]

So it's about 2 months of bed rest for you,
eh? I know how it feels. I had 5 months
of bed rest. I had to call everyone to cancel
all my social engagements, decline wedding
invitations, drop out of playing piano for
a musical, stop planning an engagement party
for a friend... On and on. I was devastated.

But then, there is this great Internet thing!
I started borrowing books from the library
(selecting them online, DH picking them up),
joined Netflix (watched the most awful movies
I'd never watch in the theatre, but I enjoyed
it!), bought baby stuff online, wrote to friends
I hadn't written to in ages, re-planned the
furniture for 5 rooms in the house (DH had to
do the actual moving of the stuff and piecing
together of the new furniture I ordered!), and
in general, re-financed the house!

The most important thing, though, is that you
are keeping your baby in the safest place
possible, until baby is ready to come into
the world. Keep up your spirits, do some
of those things you've always meant to do
but didn't have the time. Time will fly by,
I promise. I thought 5 months was an eternity,
and here Pillbug is almost 11 months old already!

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old May 1st 04, 05:23 AM
A&G&K

[...]

hugs to you. It sounds like it won't be much fun for the next few weeks.
I hope your health either stabilises or gets a bit better in response to the
BR.
Hang in there
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 1st 04, 05:36 AM
Leslie

I'm so sorry! I've been through pre-eclampsia myself and lost my "ideal" birth
because of it.

Who knows, perhaps you DON'T have it and bedrest will improve your situation
enough so that you will avoid further interventions. I will be thinking about
you!

Leslie
Old May 1st 04, 05:37 AM

"Fer" wrote in message news:nSukc.1$m03.0@clgrps13...

I know this is what I need to do for the sake of the babe and myself but I
can't help grieving over it. :*-(

hugs

Hopefully, the bedrest will help get more blood to your placenta and
stabilize your bp. They told you to stay on the left side, yes?

I hear you loud and clear on the loss of your homebirth, having lost
that and, quite possibly, all chance of ever having a vaginal delivery
the way politics are going these days. The fact that you have already
had vaginal births is going to be working in your favor here!

One symptom which goes along with pre-eclampsia is faster reflexes,
which can show up as anxiety or as agitation. It has something to do
with the hormonal cascade accompanying the metabolic changes. I found
that knowing this made it a little bit easier to manage.

--
C, mama to eighteen month old nursling
Old May 1st 04, 04:25 PM
Coccinella

Pampering vibes to you Jenn.

Love

--
Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Old May 2nd 04, 08:43 PM
Fer

Default UPDATE Bed rest for me :(

Thank you everyone for the well wishes My family has been great trying to
keep up with all of the household chores. I've been trying to relax but we
are in the middle of redoing our floors and taking out a wall so that
coupled with not being able to help it amazingly hard for me. I don't think
any of us realized just how much I do around the house So far I've
ordered some books from the library, watched some movies, DH moved the puter
into the living room (I sleep/rest on the pull out), and am trying to look
forward to lounging next week when everyone is back at school/work. I know
that 8 weeks of BR is not horribly long and I am doing it for the right
reasons but yesterday I had a bit of a freak out and it seemed like I would
never last all that time. Thankfully my DH and kids are incredibly sweet
and understanding.

I get to meet my OB tomorrow, I hear she is an excellent doctor, and we'll
go over all the testing I need done as well as the monitoring &
complications and hospital policies. My NST tests are scheduled for tues and
fri and I am not sure about the U/S yet. Although our healthcare workers
are on strike I believe that my us is considered a medical necessity. My
bump keeps growing so I am keeping my hopes up that this is not affecting
the babe's growth. At least all of my appointments give me an opportunity
to get out of the house!

Thanks again
--?

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04 (54 more days to go)

OT, but I really need help with meals Chotii Pregnancy 80 February 3rd 04 11:47 PM
A Poll: What surprised you? Em Pregnancy 117 October 20th 03 04:03 PM
PE teachers Rosalie B. General 101 October 11th 03 07:43 PM
FDA MDR: Obstetric tables (also: Pregnancy low back pain/Lordex Spine Institute) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 September 30th 03 05:49 PM
Advice needed - birthday party and 25% of invited guests have RSVP'd - what should I do about the rest flowerlady General 32 September 26th 03 10:44 AM