Anyone with access to PubMed?

Old May 22nd 04, 09:05 PM
Victoria F.

Default Anyone with access to PubMed?

(x-posted to test group misc.kids.family-life)

I'm trying to get to a few articles on PubMed, or find them online
elsewhere. I can't seem to get around to the articles themselves, though.
I'm specifically looking for articles on Autism and Broader Autism
Phenotype.

Is anyone here with access to PubMed willing to look them up for me?

--
Victoria
Mom to Craig and Kurt

-- James Carville

Old May 22nd 04, 10:02 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

You can look through the abstracts of PubMed at the NIH web site. To
see the actual articles I believe you'll have to go to your local
hospital's library, or another medical library.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old May 23rd 04, 12:36 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Beth Kevles wrote:

Hi -

You can look through the abstracts of PubMed at the NIH web site. To
see the actual articles I believe you'll have to go to your local
hospital's library, or another medical library.

Yep, the address is:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

You can order many of the articles through PubMed. To do
this, select the articles you want to order, and then
choose "order" from the "send to" menu near the top of
the page. In some cases, you can get to free full
text versions online, or you can go to the publisher's
website and order an electronic version for a fee.
Or, as Beth mentioned, you can go to you local medical
library.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 23rd 04, 04:08 AM
Victoria F.

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi -

You can look through the abstracts of PubMed at the NIH web site. To
see the actual articles I believe you'll have to go to your local
hospital's library, or another medical library.

Thank you, Beth. I didn't realize I'd have to actually go to a hospital
library or another library to get the entire article.

Old May 23rd 04, 04:15 AM
Victoria F.

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
You can order many of the articles through PubMed. To do
this, select the articles you want to order, and then
choose "order" from the "send to" menu near the top of
the page. In some cases, you can get to free full
text versions online, or you can go to the publisher's
website and order an electronic version for a fee.
Or, as Beth mentioned, you can go to you local medical
library.

Thanks so much, Ericka, for the additional information. I've discovered
that they will not let you order unless you are able to provide a library ID
number for the medical library that you wish to use (local to you). During
a search for an appropriate library on their list of hospitals, I found
several that are near to us. However, they say they will only deliver
documents for "affiliated users", which is very unclear to me. I will be
calling the number provided tomorrow to see if I qualify as such.

Interesting the lengths one has to go to to get some good information!

Old May 23rd 04, 03:13 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Victoria F. wrote:

Thanks so much, Ericka, for the additional information. I've discovered
that they will not let you order unless you are able to provide a library ID
number for the medical library that you wish to use (local to you). During
a search for an appropriate library on their list of hospitals, I found
several that are near to us. However, they say they will only deliver
documents for "affiliated users", which is very unclear to me. I will be
calling the number provided tomorrow to see if I qualify as such.

If you find an article you want, sometimes there's a
link to the publisher's site, and the publisher will usually
have some facility for ordering copies of a single article.
Even if there isn't a link, do an internet search to see if
you can find the publisher's website and you might be able
to order the documenet from them. This is usually available
from most of the bigger publishers.
I have a feeling that "affiliated users" may be
persons who have lending privileges at the medical library
in question. In most cases, though, you can go to the
library in person and view the articles, even if you can't
take them home. This is particularly likely to be true
for university libraries.

Good luck,
Ericka