Q rubella shot and pg

Old January 4th 05, 09:08 PM
A&G&K&H

Default Q rubella shot and pg

I'm just off to discover what I can with google, but was wondering if anyone
here (Ericka?) could give me some info in a nutshell....
A friend of mine m/c two weeks ago and apparently isn't immune to rubella
(she did have the shot in her teens but obviously needs a booster). She
didn't m/c due to any rubella related complications, but had the booster
shot at the same time as her D&C. She was told she *had* to wait 3 months
before ttc again, but did a bit of research and found that the risk to a new
pg from the booster is only theoretical. I know she wants to ttc again
straight away but just want to try and understand the basics of the risk
(theoretical or otherwise) so that I can support her (whatever her/their
decision).
Actually - I'm a little surprised that she wasn't tested for this for her
first pregnancy (she has an 18 mo daughter) as apparently she wasn't immune
then either *and* she is a teacher and was teaching up until about a month
before giving birth.

Anyone got any info?
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old January 4th 05, 10:28 PM
elizabeth emerald

"A&G&K&H" wrote in message
Actually - I'm a little surprised that she wasn't tested for this for her
first pregnancy (she has an 18 mo daughter) as apparently she wasn't
immune
then either *and* she is a teacher and was teaching up until about a month
before giving birth.

i was never tested for immunity. i think they only test you *before* you get
pregnant because once you are pregnant there is nothing you can do either
way. i hadn't seen a dr before i got pregnant.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

Old January 4th 05, 10:44 PM
Dagny

"A&G&K&H" wrote in message

Actually - I'm a little surprised that she wasn't tested for this for her
first pregnancy (she has an 18 mo daughter) as apparently she wasn't

immune
then either *and* she is a teacher and was teaching up until about a month
before giving birth.

She very well may have been tested. The immunity from rubella vaccine is
not lifelong, I don't think.

-- Dagny

Old January 4th 05, 11:00 PM
Mary W.

Dagny wrote:
"A&G&K&H" wrote in message

Actually - I'm a little surprised that she wasn't tested for this for her
first pregnancy (she has an 18 mo daughter) as apparently she wasn't

immune

then either *and* she is a teacher and was teaching up until about a month
before giving birth.

She very well may have been tested. The immunity from rubella vaccine is
not lifelong, I don't think.

I apparently don't keep the immunity. I had a booster after my
miscarriage in 1999, and when checked during pregnancy of DD2
in 2003, I was no longer immune. For the OP, I was told to wait
3 months after my booster, and I did wait. It then took
another 9 months to get pregnant which kind of stunk.

Mary W.

Old January 5th 05, 12:38 AM
Ericka Kammerer

A&G&K&H wrote:

A friend of mine m/c two weeks ago and apparently isn't immune to rubella
(she did have the shot in her teens but obviously needs a booster). She
didn't m/c due to any rubella related complications, but had the booster
shot at the same time as her D&C. She was told she *had* to wait 3 months
before ttc again, but did a bit of research and found that the risk to a new
pg from the booster is only theoretical. I know she wants to ttc again
straight away but just want to try and understand the basics of the risk
(theoretical or otherwise) so that I can support her (whatever her/their
decision).

What I have heard is that the new recommendations from the
ACOG are to wait 1 month after vaccination before trying to conceive.
The vaccine is a live (attenuated) virus, so there is some theoretical
risk, even though I don't think they've found a documented case of
congenital rubella syndrome from vaccination during or within three
months of pregnancy. Apparently, they may have some evidence of
the vaccine virus being transmitting through breastmilk, though.
I suspect the new recommendation is due more to deciding that
the risks of contracting rubella due to not being vaccinated are
worse than the possible risk to the baby of having the vaccine
2 or 3 months before conception. Personally, I'd probably wait
the month, but wouldn't get in a tizzy if I conceived more than
a month but less than three months after the shot.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 5th 05, 12:42 AM
Ericka Kammerer

elizabeth emerald wrote:

i was never tested for immunity. i think they only test you *before* you get
pregnant because once you are pregnant there is nothing you can do either
way. i hadn't seen a dr before i got pregnant.

Are you sure? Perhaps it's not routine in Australia, but
in the US it's part of the standard OB panel. Sure, they can't
do anything about it while you're pregnant, but they will recommend
a shot as part of your postpartum care. Some organizations
recommend that you get the shot before you leave the hospital,
though personally I'd be a tad concerned about transmission of
the virus through breastmilk.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old January 5th 05, 12:52 AM
elizabeth emerald

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
elizabeth emerald wrote:

i was never tested for immunity. i think they only test you *before* you
get pregnant because once you are pregnant there is nothing you can do
either way. i hadn't seen a dr before i got pregnant.

Are you sure? Perhaps it's not routine in Australia, but
in the US it's part of the standard OB panel. Sure, they can't
do anything about it while you're pregnant, but they will recommend
a shot as part of your postpartum care. Some organizations
recommend that you get the shot before you leave the hospital,
though personally I'd be a tad concerned about transmission of
the virus through breastmilk.

i'm not sure. i just know about my own experience.
there was a bit of a discussion about rubella in australia on mkb a while
back:
http://tinyurl.com/3how5

Old January 5th 05, 01:46 AM
Child

"elizabeth emerald" wrote in message

| "A&G&K&H" wrote in message
| Actually - I'm a little surprised that she wasn't tested for this for
her
| first pregnancy (she has an 18 mo daughter) as apparently she wasn't
| immune
| then either *and* she is a teacher and was teaching up until about a
month
| before giving birth.
|
| i was never tested for immunity. i think they only test you *before* you
get
| pregnant because once you are pregnant there is nothing you can do either
| way. i hadn't seen a dr before i got pregnant.
| --

I was tested after I got pregnant. But don't know why.

Old January 5th 05, 03:23 AM
Anne Rogers

i was never tested for immunity. i think they only test you *before* you
get pregnant because once you are pregnant there is nothing you can do
either way. i hadn't seen a dr before i got pregnant.

really? it's routinely tested for during pregnancy in the UK, though I'm not
sure what they do if you don't have the immunity