28 Week appointment (in week 29 actually!)

Old March 4th 04, 05:57 PM
Jill

Default 28 Week appointment (in week 29 actually!)

I had my appt yesterday, there was good news. I was bordering on anemia just
a month ago and hadn't been able to take the supplement the doctors gave me,
so I have been taking Slow FE slow-release iron from the drugstore. My iron
levels are WAY up, well into the safe range now (I can tell, because I don't
feel like I extremelty lethargic and on the verge of rolling over fainting
anymore).

I did the 1 Hour glucose test and my sugar levels are 121. What does this
mean again? Anyway they said it is good, and nowhere near a problem. I meant
to save the post, I remember someone posted the cutoff point for normal
levels of blood sugar...

The only problem I had to speak of was in telling them about my panic
attacks and feeling like I can't breathe and lose my breath a lot. Nothing
came of this because once AGAIN, they didn't let me see the doctor I had the
appointment with...this is the second time they have told me after I show up
that the doctor is overbooked or busy and would I mind just seeingf a nurse
, because otherwise I'd be waiting all day.

!! That makes me mad. Yesterday they told me my doctor was delivering a baby
but the funny thing is, I SAW her in the office!! Also I noticed when I
showed up for my appointment, that 3 others showed up at the same time and
signed in to see her.

So, I am getting grumpy, very grumpy, about my OBS office. If *I* miss an
appointment and give them no notice they will bill me $25! But THEY do it
frequently. I would like to see a DOCTOR sometimes and not their nurse, to
discuss health issue with. But the heartbeat was strong and everything else
is good, things would be perfect if I wasn't having panic attacks and could
breathe well, AND actually see a darn doctor I have an appointment with!

Old March 4th 04, 07:20 PM
Karen

My lab's glucose range was 65-139, so your number is in range.

I'm telling you that I wouldn't put up with all this bs and runaround
this office is giving you. How many times have you been in and been
denied access to a doctor, never mind the doctor you were scheduled to
see? If they ask you again would you mind just seeing the nurse, I'd
raise hell right there at the sign in desk. I'd point out that I'd been
in x number of times and not seen a doctor and that you have a very
serious concern that you need to discuss *with the doctor.*

I just don't understand why this continues to happen? If you are too
nervous to stand up for yourself, then bring someone with you who will
advocate for you and make enough noise and fuss until they get you into
a room with the person you need to see. I just wouldn't stand for it,
especially if it were causing me more anxiety and keeping me from
getting medication I know I need. Raise your voice and make some
demands, for goodness sake! Enough already with these rude and uncaring
people!

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old March 4th 04, 07:22 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Jill wrote:

I did the 1 Hour glucose test and my sugar levels are 121. What does this
mean again? Anyway they said it is good, and nowhere near a problem. I meant
to save the post, I remember someone posted the cutoff point for normal
levels of blood sugar...

The cutoff is 140. So you're ok. It looks like you're a little
compromised but nothing yet to worry about health of baby.

Old March 4th 04, 08:05 PM
Jill

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote
The cutoff is 140. So you're ok. It looks like you're a little
compromised but nothing yet to worry about health of baby.

?? What does this mean, compromised? Does that mean my sugar is higher than
ideal but not a problem yet, or does that mean my sugar is too low and
should be a little higher?

I need to do some research I guess. ...the OBs consider anything that is not
out of the cutoff point "fine"....

Old March 4th 04, 08:18 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Jill wrote:

?? What does this mean, compromised? Does that mean my sugar is higher than
ideal but not a problem yet, or does that mean my sugar is too low and
should be a little higher?

A little higher than I'd like to see it but that is fairly common during
pregnancy. If you did this test while not pregnant I'm sure it would be
closer to 100 (which is more ideal).

My numbers for instance came out 94 but I'm managing my glucose very
strictly during pregnancy because I already know I'm insulin resistant
(but not diabetic).

Old March 4th 04, 09:57 PM
Carla

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:18:59 GMT, Shena Delian O'Brien
wrote:

Jill wrote:

?? What does this mean, compromised? Does that mean my sugar is higher than
ideal but not a problem yet, or does that mean my sugar is too low and
should be a little higher?

A little higher than I'd like to see it but that is fairly common during
pregnancy. If you did this test while not pregnant I'm sure it would be
closer to 100 (which is more ideal).

That's what they told me too, that around 100 was where they *like* to
see it but that as long as you were under 140 that you wouldn't have
to come back for the 3 hour.

My numbers for instance came out 94 but I'm managing my glucose very
strictly during pregnancy because I already know I'm insulin resistant
(but not diabetic).

Mine was 96 -- which I was glad of because I wasn't really monitoring
my glucose at all. It was like doing well on a test that I didn't
study for.

Old March 4th 04, 10:02 PM
Dagny

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote
The cutoff is 140. So you're ok. It looks like you're a little
compromised but nothing yet to worry about health of baby.

?? What does this mean, compromised? Does that mean my sugar is higher

than
ideal but not a problem yet, or does that mean my sugar is too low and
should be a little higher?

I need to do some research I guess. ...the OBs consider anything that is

not
out of the cutoff point "fine"....

A rediculous percentage of people that "fail" the one hour test pass the
three hour and are never diagnosed with gestational diabetes. What is it,
95%? Somebody help me here. You passed pretty well. I passed with 139.
My baby was not born fat. You passed the pre screen. Meaning you do not
even have to be screened.

-- Dagny

Old March 5th 04, 01:32 AM
Coccinella

Glad to hear that you are doing well and that your iron levels are good
now.
I cannot believe the people at your ob practice. They are really bad. I
don't know how you can put up with them. For all my appt I always saw an OB
(usually mine, unless I was told in advance that she was away). Even when I
had my BP checked the RN did all the measurements but she consulted an OB
(mine was away that day) to make sure that I was alright.
I personally wouldn't feel well with such practice especially in view of
the delivery. You want to feel as calm and relaxed as possible and they
haven't been very good at that up to now.
I hope things get better soon with your OB.

--
Love

Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!

Fur Babies

Old March 5th 04, 03:59 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

A little higher than I'd like to see it but that is fairly common during
pregnancy. If you did this test while not pregnant I'm sure it would be
closer to 100 (which is more ideal).

But one should keep in mind that the one hour
test is not a particularly reliable test. In other
words, if the same person took the test five times,
one could easily get five very different values. It's
designed as a screening test only. I wouldn't read
much more into it than pass/fail, if that.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 5th 04, 04:45 AM
Jill

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote
My numbers for instance came out 94 but I'm managing my glucose very
strictly during pregnancy because I already know I'm insulin resistant
(but not diabetic).

Would the number of the results of the test be pretty consistent day to day,
or can it vary a lot depending on what you eat?

I am not sure if this makes a difference at all. I am not watching my diet,
I am still just trying to eat and keep it down so I eat basically what I
feel like eating- fruit, cereal, sandwich, salads and sometimes , yes, junk
and fast food.

On the day of the test I did not eat at all because I was nauseous- the
syrupy drink was all I had that day at that point! Yuck. I hadn't eaten
since the night before. But also, it is harder for me to get a lot of
protein, I do tend to eat more carbs while pregnant- bread, pasta, veggies,
fruit etc. but not a lot of meat or beans.

37th week appointment Coccinella Pregnancy 4 March 3rd 04 01:52 AM
16 week appointment Sandi Pregnancy 11 December 21st 03 06:36 AM
31 week appointment update and question kylee Pregnancy 1 October 23rd 03 02:20 AM
Just got back from my 30 week appointment SMK Pregnancy 4 October 4th 03 03:38 PM
35+ week ob/gyn appointment Elly Pregnancy 7 September 9th 03 11:14 PM