sciatica (I think)

Old April 7th 04, 11:14 PM
A&G&K

Default sciatica (I think)

Yowie!
I keep getting this shooting pain in my right buttock and leg ... like a
nerve has been caught between my hip bone and pelvis. Is this sciatica?
I'm fine sitting or lying or even standing, but sometimes when I walk it
just about drops me to the floor.
I don't see my chiropractor for over a week, but was wondering if anybody
has any tips on stretches or anything that will relieve it?
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old April 7th 04, 11:27 PM
Carla

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:14:55 +1000, "A&G&K"
wrote:

Yowie!
I keep getting this shooting pain in my right buttock and leg ... like a
nerve has been caught between my hip bone and pelvis. Is this sciatica?
I'm fine sitting or lying or even standing, but sometimes when I walk it
just about drops me to the floor.
I don't see my chiropractor for over a week, but was wondering if anybody
has any tips on stretches or anything that will relieve it?

That's definetely what it sounds like to me. There's not really
anything that can be done -- it will eventually go away when baby
decides that they're tired of resting in that same spot. Most of mine
happens at night so I just try to doze off and when I wake up it's
gone.

Just wait, in the past couple of weeks I've been having it on BOTH
sides! youch!

Sorry I don't have better news!

Carla
#1 EDD 5/14/04
Old April 8th 04, 12:34 AM
Sophie

"A&G&K" wrote in message
Yowie!
I keep getting this shooting pain in my right buttock and leg ... like a
nerve has been caught between my hip bone and pelvis. Is this sciatica?
I'm fine sitting or lying or even standing, but sometimes when I walk it
just about drops me to the floor.
I don't see my chiropractor for over a week, but was wondering if anybody
has any tips on stretches or anything that will relieve it?
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003
EDD 19th August 2004

That's exactly how mine was. Only had it in my first pregnancy. Just went
away on its own.

Old April 8th 04, 12:43 AM
Larry McMahan

I have had it, and I have an "exercise" for it... If you can lie
on your back.

OK. Lie on your back. with your right leg stetched straight out,
pick up your left foot and bring it up over the center of your body.
Grab your left heel with your right hand, and your left knee with
your left hand and pull gently toward your head. Hold this position
from 30 to 45 seconds. Switch legs and do it again on the other side.

OK. Now I have another one. This one is a little more difficult.
It is a yoga exercise called the spinal twist. If you don't get my
description, look it up in a yoga book. It will also be harder with
a big belly. :-)

sit cross legged. put your left foot on the ground with your knee
up (you could now rest your chin on it). place your right heel under
your left leg and beside your left hip. Move your left foot to the
top (right) side of your right leg and place it on the floor there.
Straighten your right arm and place your right elbow on the left
side of your left knee (the one that is up). Grab the top of your
right knee with your right hand. Twist your body to the left and
look over your left shoulder. Place your left hand behind your back
and place the palm on your waist at about your right kidney. Remain
in this twisted position from 30 to 45 seconds. Switch sides and
repeat.

Good luck,
Larry

A&G&K writes:
: Yowie!
: I keep getting this shooting pain in my right buttock and leg ... like a
: nerve has been caught between my hip bone and pelvis. Is this sciatica?
: I'm fine sitting or lying or even standing, but sometimes when I walk it
: just about drops me to the floor.
: I don't see my chiropractor for over a week, but was wondering if anybody
: has any tips on stretches or anything that will relieve it?
: Amanda

: --
: DD 15th August 2002
: 1 tiny angel Nov 2003
: EDD 19th August 2004

Old April 8th 04, 02:00 AM
A&G&K

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Larry - the first one seems to have relived it a bit .... the second
one is a bit too hard for me to do with my big belly in the way .. but I'll
try it if the first one stops working.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old April 8th 04, 03:08 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:14:55 +1000, A&G&K wrote:

Yowie!
I keep getting this shooting pain in my right buttock and leg ... like a
nerve has been caught between my hip bone and pelvis. Is this sciatica?

I don't know if you're referring to the same thing, but it sounds like
what I have in my back every 5 years or so. For me it wasn't more serious
during pregnancy. What would sometimes help for me is walking with a
hip-swing (looked silly, but it worked!)

I don't see my chiropractor for over a week, but was wondering if anybody
has any tips on stretches or anything that will relieve it?

Try this:
sit down on your knees, put your hands on the floor so your shoulders and
hips are the same distance from the floor. Now gently push your pelvis
forward while curving your back and tilting your head back. Then push it
backward and feel like you are a cat stretching after a nap. Do this a
couple of times.

This one may not work if your belly is already growing:
sit on your knees and bend your upper body forward until your face is
touching the floor (like a muslim praying). Stretch your arms all the way
above your head with your palms touching the floor too, but keep your butt
low. Keep the stretch for 5 counts then relax, stretch again and relax etc
for a couple of times.

I generally wouldn't recommend this for pregnant women, but if you can
still lie on your back without problems, here's one that helped me a big
deal:
lie on the floor flat on your back with your arms ~45degrees from your
body, hand palms on the floor and keep them there throughout the exercise.
Bend your knees, so your feet are resting comfortably on the floor, then
slowly let one knee fall to the side and let the other follow until your
pelvis is rotated as far as possible while your shoulders are still on the
floor. Keep this position and try to keep your back and shoulders as
relaxed as possible. Then slowly lift the upper knee and let the other
follow it up. Repeat to the other side. Do a couple of times.

For all exercises: Stop if you feel dizzy and get up slowly afterwards!!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (20m)

Update on sciatica Donna Pregnancy 0 February 27th 04 11:21 AM
Sciatica question Donna Pregnancy 9 February 25th 04 12:16 AM
position of baby causing sciatica? Carla Pregnancy 6 February 9th 04 06:11 PM
Bradley massage helped my Sciatica! DeliciousTruffles Pregnancy 0 January 25th 04 01:27 AM