Car accident

Old June 11th 04, 09:52 PM
A&G&K

Default Car accident

X-Posted to MKP and MKB

Oh *bugger*
We had a car accident last night. Only a minor bingle and nobody was hurt,
but my poor car will need to go for some repairs and we really don't need
this right now (but there is never a "good" time for it I suppose).

Classic story of "Turn Left Anytime With Care" at a T-intersection (note we
are in Australia so RHS drivers need to swap "left" for "right"). As far as
DH and I were aware, the old guy in front of us had driven off when DH
glanced back over his shoulder to look for oncoming traffic. Alas, the car
in front hadn't gone very far - he had driven forward over the give-way
line and then propped (although we still don't know why as the oncoming
traffic was stopped at a red light). The old guy was just driving very
cautiously in Friday night, peak-hour traffic ... which I'm not saying is a
bad thing.

Normally I am the passenger from hell (in that I may as well be driving as
I'm checking everything anyway), but I had mentally decided that the old guy
had driven off and I was reading a map. DH feels really bad, but I have to
admit I would have done the same thing. Luckily we were only doing less
than 10 km/h and the old fella was a nice guy ... and I got sympathy votes
by being 7 mo pregnant with a little girl in the back seat. His car needed
towing, but luckily, after pulling the mudguard off the front tyre, our car
was drivable .... but we were down 1 headlight. Our steering even seemed
OK. Both parties are insured so hopefully all will be cleared up quickly.
Both cars mostly require panelwork.

I was a little worried at first as the seatbelt did give my tummy a bit of a
nudge and a few crampy twinges afterwards. Bub seems OK though although
s/he was moving a *lot* last night and my mind was whirring in the "what if"
department (my brain seems to go into overdrive with worry at 2 am). I see
the Ob again this Thursday, so I'll make sure he does a thorough check then.

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old June 12th 04, 02:13 AM
The Watsons

"A&G&K" wrote in message
I was a little worried at first as the seatbelt did give my tummy a bit of

nudge and a few crampy twinges afterwards. Bub seems OK though although
s/he was moving a *lot* last night and my mind was whirring in the "what

if"
department (my brain seems to go into overdrive with worry at 2 am). I

see
the Ob again this Thursday, so I'll make sure he does a thorough check

then.

glad it wasn't any worse...

Jess

Old June 13th 04, 12:02 PM
Cheryl

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 06:52:35 +1000, "A&G&K"
wrote:

X-Posted to MKP and MKB

Oh *bugger*
We had a car accident last night. Only a minor bingle and nobody was hurt,
but my poor car will need to go for some repairs and we really don't need
this right now (but there is never a "good" time for it I suppose).

snip

I was a little worried at first as the seatbelt did give my tummy a bit of a
nudge and a few crampy twinges afterwards. Bub seems OK though although
s/he was moving a *lot* last night and my mind was whirring in the "what if"
department (my brain seems to go into overdrive with worry at 2 am). I see
the Ob again this Thursday, so I'll make sure he does a thorough check then.

Go to the hospital. You need to get checked out. When I was 35 weeks
pregnant and had a car accident they wanted me in to check the
placenta. It might take a while because of the long weekend but you
really do need to be checked out just in case.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Old June 14th 04, 12:12 AM
A&G&K

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Cheryl,
I did end up going and getting checked out at the hospital ... but no
waiting (luckily). There were no births happening so all the delivery
suites were free as were the monitors. Everything was fine (see update
posted on Saturday).
Poor DH is the sick one today ... he's got a migraine (and he always vomits
as well so can't keep anything down). I think its a delayed reaction to the
accident. Even though it was minor, he's having trouble dealing with it.
He is an excellent driver (the best I know) but he saw all my bruises last
night as I was getting out of the shower and I think that's what has
bothered him (there's not really that bad and neither he nor DD have any at
all).

The long weekend will make the car repairs take longer though as we can't
drop the car off at the insurance assessment centre until tomorrow. There's
been good news though - the police weren't even remotely interested in
writing up a report or issuing a ticket, and our insurance agency has been
very helpful as well.

Thanks
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old June 14th 04, 05:17 AM
Cheryl

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:12:02 +1000, "A&G&K"
wrote:

[...]

I'm glad you're ok and the legal stuff is fine. You have remembered
to ask about getting the car seat replaced haven't you? I didn't
remember.

Old June 14th 04, 05:47 AM
Tori M.

Also something I learned from a county visiting nurse is that you should
replace all the used seatbelts in the car. Who knew that?

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04