SO sad :(

Old September 17th 05, 02:41 AM
emilymr

I'm so sorry, Kari... Our pets were like members of the family, and I
*still* cry, 5 years later, when I read the email my mom sent when Meli
died. I hope you're still able to have a good vacation.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old September 17th 05, 05:36 AM
Linda

Hi Kari, I'm really sorry for you. I still get upset thinking about my cat
that died years ago. I don't know if you've left yet, and I don't have kids
yet, but I remember how my Mum used to try to make me feel better, methods
which I think work for either adults or kids.
Think of the joy you had with her for even the short time. Focus on good
memories and talk about them - funny things, cute things which will make you
laugh through tears and then cry even more. The best legacy a loved pet can
leave behind is a mixture of sadness - which shows how much they were loved
and how special they were, and good memories from the times you did have.
It's probably too soon to be thinking of getting another pet - and don't
ever think of it as a replacement pet - nothing can replace her personality,
but be open to the idea that one of the best things you can do as a thankyou
to her is to realise how much she meant to you, how happy she made you, and
that as she has left a hole in your life that perhaps by giving another pet
who is need of a home a chance to love you - it's because you loved her so
much that you can. I don't think I put that very well but I hope you get
what I mean.

Old September 17th 05, 05:57 AM
dejablues

"firedancer" wrote in message
I dont post much anymore but I think some of you remember me.

Im just utterly heartbroken. My baby kitten died this morning. She was 5

mos
old. I have NO idea why or what caused it. She was sick early this

morning,
about 4-5ish am. Threw up on the bed a few times. I put her in the

bathroom
thinking she needed a drink. I never saw her again. When I called her to

eat
about 8:00, I couldn't find her. I figured she was sleeping. I found her
under the bed while cleaning up to leave - for vacation today - to

Florida.
I dont even want to go now and we've been planning this trip for 2 years.

Please send me some advice on how to cope with this sudden death of a MUCH
loved pet, she was my 30th b-day present and the Siamese kitten I have
always wanted. My kids are going to take this terribly, they are in school
and loved her more than I did I think. We're scheduled to leave today

around
5:00 and now, I dont know how this is going to affect this trip or how

we're
even going to be able to have fun.

Poor kitty. :-( I have a very soft spot for Siamese cats - my childhood cat
lived to age 19 (and yowled outside my bedroom door when I went to college)
, and DH's (his staunch defender who chose to give birth in his bed) lived
to be 23.

Is there a possibility that she ate something (plant, garbage, yarn,
whatever)? Siamese cats chew and eat really weird things (mine loved knitted
sweaters, tinsel, paper, and plants) , and need a lot more kitten-proofing
than the average kitten.

I would tell the kids when they got home, and continue with the trip. Please
have them help bury her in a special spot. Young kids usually get over pet
deaths pretty quickly .
We've had to deal with the deaths of a dog, several cats, guinea pigs, fish,
hamsters, rats, and DH and I were way worse off than the children were.
We had a particularly gruesome guinea pig death this week that I won't get
into. :-(

Tell your children that you all can pick out a new kitten or cat when you
get back from vacation. It will not be a replacement for your poor deceased
kitty, but you can honor her memory by making a good home for another
cat/kitten.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.