Pregnant with 1st, and scared!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 16th 03, 05:43 PM
Jill

Default Pregnant with 1st, and scared!

Hi all...my name is Jill and I just turned 27. I have been married since
last October 6...my husband and I decided to stop trying to prevent a baby
just a few weeks ago. I figured it would take a while to get pregnant, but
boom, here I am. I have my first visit with the nurse tomorrow and my
doctor's appointment is at the end of next week when I should be far enough
along (the doctor's office wouldn't take me until I am at 8 weeks or later,
is this normal? I did have the pregnancy confirmed by my primary care
doc...)

Anyway I have developed a big case of cold feet. This is my first pregnancy
and I *am* happy but I am scared to death....will it be uncomfortable, will
it HURT, etc. For one thing I am suffering from nausea almost constantly and
also, I can't sleep. I am having great difficulty in even getting a few
solid hours of sleep. I have stayed up all night several nights already.
That itself, I think, is making my anxiety worse..when you can't sleep and
have hormonal changes...=anxiety.

I am terrified...I am sure everything is fine and I am trying to stay
relaxed. They dr has me taking Zantac to try and do away with the nausea. I
don't vomit a lot but and constantly queasy...my appetite is low, and I have
actually *lost* 6 pounds in a month (I am not dieting!)

I suffer from migraine headaches and the good news is I have not had a
single one.

I just have a few questions..
1. With your first baby is it normal to be scared/worried? (Again, I am
terrified I will go on with insomnia, labor will hurt, etc)
2. My doctors are not believers in a pregnant woman taking ANYthing other
than plain Tylenol or Zantac. At least in the first trimester....I was
taking Zanaflex and Klonopin to prevent migraines- it worked very well but
of course I stopped as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I checked
weekly.) So currently I am taking no medications except Zantac, and am doing
well, no headaches. I have researched it and get conflicting info...some
doctors allow Klonopin if the MTB is having major panic attacks etc..others
don't. I have read where some say they took Klonopin with no adverse effects
on the baby. I am NOT taking it, to be safe...but what are your thoughts on
medications during each trimester...do you doctors have different opinions?
I think mine err on the safe side and so I follow their advice, but being
unable to sleep and just toss and turn every night is mierable (I never used
Klonopin for sleep, it doesn't make me sleepy, but it was a good headache
preventive for me)...I am just wondering how to deal with anxiety/insonmia
in a medication free way? And thanking god I haven't had a migraine. I
normally use Imitrex and was told I can have none of that while pregnant.
Narcotics generally don't help my migraines. But my ob/gyn told me that
after the first trimester it would be possible for me to take a monitored
number of Darvocet or something, one of the prescription pain relievers with
a Tylenol base and a little bit of narcotic...can some of you share your
experiences with me, and what your own doctors have and have not allowed
during pregnancy? First and foremost I want to do everything possible for a
healthy baby...

And one more thing, I am scared to death...can someone please tell me that
pregnancy is a joy, is not that uncomfortable or painful, and that labor
will be ok??? I will be posting and reading here often I am sure...

I can already, at 4 -5 weeks or so, tell that my body is changing....weird
things. I have hot flashes- I have always been hot natured, but am now VERY
hot natured...I crave salt really bad (yes I am taking a prenatal
vitamin!)...I am VERY moody, very much....and my skin is itchy everywhere!
My back itches, my legs itch, my face itches..my skin allover feels dry and
itchy. I feel tearful...and a few more embarassing things....

Jill