Baby laying flat

Old September 17th 05, 06:03 PM
maatt

Default Baby laying flat

Hi,

My Missus was due last Monday, our daughter is not here yet

After a terrible baby store let us down in regard to sourcing us a
pram, we have now sorted ourselves out pucker.

She was asking about keeping the baby flat; we understand that baby
should not be in a car seat for in excess of two hours without being
taken out and allowed to relax for twenty minutes or so.

She loves the travel system that we got, especially when it is in car
seat fixed to chassis mode.

My questions are to confirm that it is right, no more than two hours at
one time in the baby car seat; and

to what age must this rule be adhered to. Thinking about it now, there
is probably no age limit if one really cared about their baby's
development.

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers

Maatt

Old September 17th 05, 06:38 PM
Jamie Clark

In the US, they don't really have that rule, or at least it's not heavily
promoted. I have two kids and have never heard that "2 hours max in a car
seat" rule before this past few months, and only here on the ng, both from
people who are not in the States. I've taken many multiple hour drives and
airline flights with my babies, and they did just fine in their car seats
for the duration.

Many people find that their babies sleep better in the car seat than in
cribs or bassinets, since it's tight and cradled more like the uterine
environment, so keep their baby in the car seat at night for several months.
Many other people have babies who have reflux issues, so they need to make
sure that baby sleeps in a more upright position, something that a car seat
is very good at.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old September 17th 05, 06:46 PM
maatt

thats interesting, (I am in the UK) I hear about the two hour rule from
retailers and some mothers I work with. I could see the purpose of such
a rule in respect of the baby's developping back

cheers Jamie

Old September 17th 05, 06:51 PM
Welches

"maatt" wrote in message
oups.com...
thats interesting, (I am in the UK) I hear about the two hour rule from
retailers and some mothers I work with. I could see the purpose of such
a rule in respect of the baby's developping back

cheers Jamie

It's also that some (esp. prem) babies can develop breathing difficulties in
that position. I'm in the UK too, and I've seen that it has been researched
into. I think there was an article on the BBC website too at some point, so
you could try looking in the archives there.
Debbie

Old September 17th 05, 07:28 PM
Ericka Kammerer

maatt wrote:
Hi,

My Missus was due last Monday, our daughter is not here yet

After a terrible baby store let us down in regard to sourcing us a
pram, we have now sorted ourselves out pucker.

She was asking about keeping the baby flat; we understand that baby
should not be in a car seat for in excess of two hours without being
taken out and allowed to relax for twenty minutes or so.

She loves the travel system that we got, especially when it is in car
seat fixed to chassis mode.

My questions are to confirm that it is right, no more than two hours at
one time in the baby car seat; and

to what age must this rule be adhered to. Thinking about it now, there
is probably no age limit if one really cared about their baby's
development.

Studies have shown that babies who spend more
time in "devices" (bouncy seats, exersaucers, carseats,
walkers, jumpers, etc.) did not develop as well as
those who had more "free" time. So, it would seem
that it is appropriate all along to give babies and
toddlers free time where they are not confined.
Initially, when they are newborns, there is also a
concern about their ability to breathe when they're
scrunched up. While it's more of a problem for
preemies, even some full term babies have decreased
oxygen saturation in a carseat (especially if it's
not installed at the proper angle).
That said, there's no way that we know that
it's precisely two hours that's the limit. What I
think makes sense is to give you baby as much
unconfined time as you can, or at least to change
around the way in which the baby is confined
(car seat, arms, sling, stroller, etc.). We had
a stroller with a bassinette attachment so that
they could stretch out as little babies. Personally,
I liked that.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 17th 05, 08:28 PM
maatt

thanks, I suppose it is a case of letting her lay in the car seat in
controlled moderation.

Old September 17th 05, 09:02 PM
Anne Rogers

thanks, I suppose it is a case of letting her lay in the car seat in
controlled moderation.

I'm in the UK too and the two hour thing is mentioned all sorts of places,
but I take a similar attitude to Ericka, variety is the spice of life, but
no strict rules, so you're going to do a few long journies, but don't worry
about it, but if you were doing a lot of long journies you might consider
one of those lie flat car seats.

We don't have a bassinette attachment for our stroller (usually called carry
cot, or pram in the UK), but then neither child has spent much time in a
stroller.

Anne