Gotta keep it from The Children

Old June 23rd 03, 04:39 PM
0tterbot

Default Gotta keep it from The Children

"Tom Enright" wrote in message
m...

Considering Communists have long employed the "knock in the middle of

the
night" I've always felt this quote a bit out of date.

what?

Because communist governments have killed around 100,000,000 people and
have no problem denying simple rights to the people it is somewhat
hyprocritcal for them to be viewed as an oppressed group. Most especially
when you consider the time in which the quote was made.

what, the 60s when he said it? :-D

i don't think communists are an oppressed group overall, although they are
in some quarters (much like people of any political persuasion). on a
day-to-day basis, i don't think about communists at all, actually. and while
i think i'm correct in surmising that you are an anti-communist, you are not
correct in surmising that i am a communist or am pro-communist. where that
came from is anybody's guess - goodness knows i'm not going to go there.

are you mccarthy's grandson-in-a-jar or something?

What? Are you suggesting that communists have not come for
for "Trade Unionists" and others?

nooooooooo - i think i'm asking wtf are you fussing about my sig for.

just to spell it out for you - it means (& just to reiterate, it has nothing
to do with communism):

speak out for others, even if you have nothing in common with them,
otherwise the powers-that-be will take your silence for consent. if nobody
speaks out, eventually there won't *be* anyone to speak out - they will all
have been silenced one way or another.
quite simple, really.
kylie

Old June 23rd 03, 04:49 PM
Banty

In article , "0tterbot" says...

"Banty" wrote in message

Do not put all smokers in the same basket. When my DH and I
smoked, we always, always, always threw out butts in a bin. It
is rubbish and belongs in a bin.

as i do & many smokers also do (although at this point i feel like i'm
talking to the walls. sigh. people just *want* to believe all smokers

smoke
all over everyone & throw butts everywhere.)

Hello, walls :-)

EGADS!
;-)

The problem is, *enough* smokers are rude and sloppy about it such that

it's a
problem. No one's saying all smokers should be deemed rude.

yeah, but read this thread, & observe that *enough* anti-smokers are rude &
obnoxious to smokers - people making grand statements about what smokers do,
& getting frightfully in a flap at the same time (& never noticing the
smokers who don't **** them off.) i'm certain it's quite identical to the
militantly whatever who simply never *notice* how many of the subject/s of
their disapproval are being perfectly polite about it, they only see what
they want to see & extrapolate it to a ridiculous degree.

but at any rate, pardon my momentary exasperation on that matter. :-)

Exasperation allowed :-)

IT's just that it only takes a FEW rude smokers to make a HUGE impact. Yes, I
know and notice considerate smokers. I do think more smokers are considerate.
They've been just about beaten into it ;-)

And I do think smokers are somewhat of a whipping boy as to a lot of general
social irritation being dumped upon them. So I'll grant you that, too. Western
society seems to put a huge spotlight on things, ignore others, then turn the
spotlight on other things, and ignore previous focusses, etc. But it's that
it's such an especially CLEAR CASE of doing things at others' expense with no
benefit to self OR others other than "I do this". And folks are getting
increasingly irritated at the general degredation of "I do this 'cause I wanna
it's my RIGHT dare ya to say anyting about it" in many areas of life. Given a
consensus and an "opening" concerning smoking - yeah, smokers are getting really
dumped on.

Paint me as a converted previous smoking-tolerant. Still a current
smoker-tolerant. But the positive impact of anti-smoking laws have really
turned me around. Not to defend them now would be like asking me to advocate
repealing anti-dumping laws.

But seeing this thread, apparently meant initially as a "look aint-it-awwwful a
stupid law is being passed 'For the chiiiilllldren'", but the law is addressing
something demonstrably crappy for EVERYBODY, shows a blindness to how gross the
thing is, that just BEGS to be pointed out - again - what a stupid awful thing
is being defended. I don't rightly care if it was being done for the remote
possibility of offending Little Green Men From Mars - it sucks and it has to go!
Come back with another "Aint it Awful" about something else "for the
chiiiillldren" - the OP really blew it and picked the wrong subject for this
one!

Cheers,
Banty

Old June 23rd 03, 05:51 PM
Banty

In article , Pockets says...

On 23 Jun 2003 08:49:31 -0700, Banty wrote:

Come back with another "Aint it Awful" about something else "for the
chiiiillldren" - the OP really blew it and picked the wrong subject for this
one!

No, I didn't.

The law was specifically passed to keep the very *sight* of people
smoking away from The Children. It explains why smoking is allowed in
parts of the park where The Children are not encouraged to congregate.

I guess today's parents are so gutless and uninfluential in their
children's lives that such protection is needed.

In general, I would agree with you, that a lot of social-legislation crap like
certain anti-porn and certain government subsidies of questionable wisdom jammed
into legislatures using the emotional strings of "for the children" (I hate
guilting in general, anyway), and some Dumb Stuff has been proposed this way.
And that parents can darn well raise their kids so that they can deal with the
world.

If this were an anti-cursing law, I'd be with you. But my understanding is that
this was how folks could get the non-smoking area extended. (Kinda like getting
Al Capone on tax evasion.) I only wish other consdierations would have been
considered suficient. Like my adult eyes and lungs.

So - how can I get a playground put in the parts where "children are not
encouraged to congregate", because I don't want to "see" the smoking too! ;-)

Cheers,
Banty

Old June 23rd 03, 07:39 PM
Stevet Thompson

Banty wrote in message ...
[snip]
I'm really, really down deep disgusted with the whole tobacco thing. It's a
really stupid, addictive, expensive (personally and to society), destructive,
valueless thing to be defending, to be calling on others' tolerance continually
for.

As a smoker who finds many common habits of non-smoker's somewhat
irritating, I'll state that as long as people like you can find
nothing better to whine about, I will be grinding my cigarette butts
into the sidewalk, or tossing them wherever I want. I will smoke
indoors whenever I feel there's a reasonable chance that I won't get
caught. Your complaints, dirty looks, and legislation will be
entirely ineffective (as a practical matter) unless every cubic
centimetre of the country is put under video surveillance -- and when
that happens, you won't be bitching about smokers.

The short of it is that I simply don't give a **** about your delicate
sensibilities, r.e. smoking.

Get a life.

Regards,

Steve
Old June 23rd 03, 08:54 PM
Banty

In article , "Dan says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

The short of it is that I simply don't give a **** about your delicate
sensibilities, r.e. smoking.

Get a life.

I have one.

Yours, on the other hand, you've taken upon yourself to endanger.

Is that it? Is that the best you can do? A little originality *please*. Of
all the tired, worn out phrases to choose from, you have to show yourself to
be among the most unoriginal cliche quoting self righteous idiots.

Who's trying for a prize in originality?? *Why* should your respondants be
trying to be original??

There's a reason why you're reading the same thing over and over in responses to
your posts on this subject. Of course, below (retained below my sig) you dont'
have anything even *close* to an answer to this, because there isn't one. It's
fact.

You only have red herrings like "you're not original", and as to the one you're
dragging below, I'm much more concerned about landmines. But it has nothing to
do with the subject either, and no one in this thread, if you've noticed, no one
even posting from misc.kids, as I am, have brought up the "for the kids"
argument save yourself and the OP. It's enough to point out the impact on
everybody of a really nasty destuctive addiction. And I don't claim or need
originality on that statement.

Banty
_____________

Here's a tip, why not get whiney about the quantity of DU dust floating
around the Persian Gulf - oh, that's right, it's not *your* kids/grandkids
that are going to be born deformed, it's not *you* or *your* family that has
to live in an irradiated country is it? Why not get all hot and bothered
about the US's total disregard for the Kyoto Protocol, what about India and
it's almost total lack of control over toxins being dumped into surface
water?

All of these things, my dear, are going to kill more kids than smoking in
the park.

Dan

Old June 23rd 03, 10:02 PM
LaTreen Washington

x-no-archive: yes

Do you raise as big a fuss when people change diapers in public?

Do you object when people bring their children into public pools
wearing swim diapers (that release fecal matter - a PROVEN
health hazard) into public pools?

Both are an entitlement issue with parents. How many times are
diapers changed in cafes and airplanes?

I WILL smoke outside. When I wait for a bus - I go under the shelter
with everyone else and I DO light up. If people are there with children
I make a point to stand by them. You can take your ill-behaved children
anywhere you want. I WILL smoke where ever I am allowed to by law.
If they don't like it, they can move - that's the entitlement attitude that
applies to me when your children are obnoxious and ill-mannered.

There is an law against smoking in an athletic field near my house and I
will
smoke there until I am fined for it. If I am fined, I will drag the case out
in
court as long as I can to run up the cost and waste the town's money.

I see the litter left behind by breeders from little league and the feces
left
from the dog owners.

These people don't care about the public - why should I?

LaTreen Washington

"Banty" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Old June 23rd 03, 10:33 PM
==Daye==

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:16:27 +1000, "0tterbot"
wrote:

anyway, in australia butts *are* litter & you can be fined for dropping
them, same as all litter (althought it operates on a sliding scale.). you
get a special special fine for throwing them out your car window. (well, you
don't, because the police & litter regulation are rarely acquainted, but it
*is* possible.)

Actually, there is a number you can call and tell on people who
throw them out their window. You receive your ticket in the
mail. My SIL got busted once doing that. She has never thrown
another butt out of her window.

==Daye==
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
moderator of the proposed group misc.kids.family-life
Old June 23rd 03, 10:48 PM
==Daye==

On 23 Jun 2003 09:51:05 -0700, Banty
wrote:

If this were an anti-cursing law, I'd be with you.

I wouldn't. Cursing happens in the real world. Children hear
whether you want them to or not. Words like "ass," "hell," and
"damn" are even on TV.