Tucson legislators divided over closing of hearings on CHILD PROTECTIVESERVICES

Old July 19th 07, 09:17 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default Tucson legislators divided over closing of hearings on CHILD PROTECTIVESERVICES

Tucson legislators divided over closing of hearings on CPS
By Daniel Scarpinato
ARIZONA DAILY STAR
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 07.19.2007

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/192459

PHOENIX — Closed-door legislative hearings on Child Protective Services
are shaping up to be a partisan showdown over whether the agency
mishandled two Tucson cases in which children died, or is being made a
political scapegoat to embarrass the governor.
After announcing earlier this year that the House Government Committee
would investigate two cases, the committee has finally set a date of
Aug. 28.
In addition the panel will discuss an incident in which a Tucson
caseworker began dating a man whose case she handled.
Another big topic: Whether the agency should be required to make full
case files public. So far, it has only released summaries of the two
Tucson cases.
State Rep. Jonathan Paton, a Tucson Republican who called for the
hearings, says he intends to introduce legislation next year based on
the committee findings.
But Democratic Rep. Steve Farley, also a Tucsonan, is skeptical. In an
e-mail blast to supporters this week, Farley said he plans to defend CPS
caseworkers during the hearings.
Employees "cannot talk about their successes, and they cannot defend
themselves against attacks in the media, because the safety of the
children they serve depends on their public silence," Farley said in the
e-mail.
On March 21, Brandon Williams, 5, died of what an autopsy said was
blunt-force trauma. His mother gave him a lethal dose of Tylenol PM
pills and other medication.
Earlier that month, Ariana Payne, 4, was found dead in a storage locker.
Her brother, 5-year-old Tyler, remains missing. Their father has been
charged with killing both children.
In both cases, CPS had been involved in monitoring the families.
More recently, it was learned that CPS supervisor Amy Gile engaged in a
romantic relationship with an abusive father of three who had been one
of her clients. In June, CPS said Gile no longer worked for the agency.
Farley said in an interview he worries the hearings are being organized
to "embarrass the governor," who has authority over CPS.
"My best hope is that the people who are calling these hearings are
sincere about wanting to help kids," said Farley, who has done a
ride-along with CPS caseworkers and called on Paton to do the same.
Paton said he doesn't disagree entirely with Farley.
"I know there are a lot of CPS workers who are upset with how things are
going, and they feel that in many cases that there need to be changes in
the law and in the administration of that agency," he said.
Paton said he would like to make the findings of the committee public,
as he seeks to force the agency to be more transparent.
"It's a closed form of government," he said. "I believe these hearings
need to be opened up, but I can't do that."
Paton added that "confidentiality should end with the death of children.
When the children are dead, who are we protecting at this point?"
Farley said any potential problems with the agency are "not something
that's going to be solved by revealing everybody publicly." Farley
stressed the need for more CPS funding to raise salaries and hire
additional staffers.
Napolitano, too, says transparency needs to be balanced with other
issues, including federal law.
"Whenever a child dies and there's CPS involvement, we go back and say,
'Is there something CPS could have done or should have done that would
have prevented a death?' " she said Wednesday.
But Napolitano said criminal prosecutions should take precedence over
cases being made public. So should protecting the privacy of other
children in the cases, she said.
"The more we can be transparent, the more I like it, but we don't have
carte blanche here," she said.
Contact reporter Daniel Scarpinato at 307-4339 or

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NSA / CIA
WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

*Perpetrators of Maltreatment*

Physical Abuse CPS 160, Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS 112, Parents 13
Neglect CPS 410, Parents 241
Medical Neglect CPS 14 Parents 12
Fatalities CPS 6.4, Parents 1.5

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, HAPPILY DESTROYING HUNDREDS OF INNOCENT
FAMILIES YEARLY NATIONWIDE AND COMING TO YOU'RE HOME SOON...

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...
Old July 20th 07, 12:19 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
firemonkey

Thank you Chicken Little, for the update. When was your last probing
and have you dug that chip out yet? Carry on,

Firemonkey