baby in separate room from mother at night?

Old April 21st 08, 08:10 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ed Augusts

Default baby in separate room from mother at night?

I am thinking over the results I've seen in families where the baby
is, typically, nursed by the mother, and spends the night close to the
mother, as compared to families where the baby is immediately put on
formula and then sleeps in a room down the hall. There is this
insidious "Ferberizing" process many young parents inflict upon their
children in which they let their kids cry themselves to sleep at night
until they get used to being without Mom and sleeping alone in their
own little room. Oh, yes! Let's make the little guy 'tough' by
making him cry, and then ignore his cries until he or she gets over it
and becomes insensitive to whether they're sleeping with mom or not.
(Is that insane, or what?) This neglect often goes along with putting
these kids on formula. In my experience, it is NEVER a breastfeeding
mother who also locks her child away in a room down the hall at night
where they have to cry themselves to sleep!

Looking at the results, that is, what becomes of this unfortunate
child who is denied his or her mother's love, space, breastmilk and
also physical protection, tells an ugly story.

I know of a girl who was adopted into a very austere and Spartan
household in which love was nothing but a 4-letter word, and the
adoptive mother could not stand to be in the child's presence child
for very long. The baby's room was down the hall, I guess so she could
sometimes choose to ignore her when she cried. The adoptive mom
THOUGHT she wanted to have a baby --then changed her mind. But she
didn't give the baby to someone who would love her, she kept the baby,
but just didn't LOVE her or make the child feel loved... Well,
unfortunately for all concerned, that child no sooner got into her
teens than she got into a syndrome of self-abuse by cutting herself in
parallel lines on her arms and legs with knives and razor blades. She
did this before she was half-way through high school. That child, as
a grown woman, had at least one abortion and later became a lesbian.
She has had absolutely no contact with her adoptive mother or father
for many years now.

Here is a second case, a businessman who, for his entire life, has
hated his mother because she never told him she loved him, never, in
his memory, hugged or kissed him, and kept him in a small dingy room
down the hall throughout most of his childhood. She never breastfed
him, she told him such a thing "freaked her out", she would not want a
baby on her breast! This is a mother who STILL makes fun of her child
and enjoys telling a roomful of guests nothing but unflattering
stories about her boy. This man is now close to 50 years old, and he
confided to me that he is still a virgin. Guess what? He says he has
"issues" with his mother, and somehow ALL women seem to him to be a
little bit LIKE his mother, therefore he has never had a successful
relationship with an adult woman, not in the business world, nor in
private. Women are "things" to be "consumed" as "eye candy" at a strip
joint or sex magazine, but he cannot figure out how to get close to a
woman -- not in real life!

My point is very simple, and I'm sorry if I sound like I'm "preaching
to the choir", but some of women reading this article MAY NOT be
planning to hug and kiss and breastfeed their babies, and I really
thought any such mothers-to-be out there ought to consider the
consequences of a lack of intimacy with your baby! You have the
AWESOME responsibility of raising either a well-adjusted, happy,
mentally healthy child, one whom you keep close to your breast, and in
your room... OR, participating in raising an unhappy, wretched little
child whom you put away in a dark little room down the hall, whom you
don't breastfeed, whom you make to be alone and lonesome, and who may
very well grow up to be either a self-destructive self-mutilator, or
possibly an inhuman, unfeeling, monster, a child who wants to give
back to women exactly what his or her mother gave them in their
childhood --- coldness and contempt! Remember, MOST of the contempt
is actually reserved by the neglected child FOR HIS OR HER MOTHER.
Think carefully, now, about how you decide to raise this baby!
"Ferberize" and harm them? And lose their love and respect? Or,
love them and be loved in return, both now and as long as you live!
Which will it be? Is it really all that hard to decide?

Best wishes & hoping you choose wisely, ------Ed
http://www.breastpumppedal.com
Old April 21st 08, 10:29 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"Ed Augusts" wrote in message
[...]

So, Ed, how many kids do you have? I'm assuming you must have some in order
to 'preach', Or that you must have lived with these families you speak of?

Old April 21st 08, 04:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

According to you, there are only two options -- you either breastfeed,
co-sleep and love your child, and said child will be "well-adjusted, happy
and mentally healthy," or you bottle/formula feed, ignore your child's cries
and neglect them, and your child will be "a self-destructive self-mutilator,
or possibly an inhuman, unfeeling, monster, a child who wants to give back
to women exactly what his or her mother gave them in their
childhood." Doi.

Don't forget lesbian.

You're a moron, Ed. And your "sample" of two does not prove anything.

It is possible to bottle/formula feed and have your child sleep in their own
room in a crib without damning them to hell and a lifetime of relationship
issues and therapy.

Of course not showing love to a baby and child can damage that child, but
that has nothing to do with breast or bottle feeding, co-sleeping or crib
sleeping. Nor does it have anything to do with bio or adopted.
--

Jamie Clark

Old April 21st 08, 09:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ed Augusts

Hi, I was giving some examples from real life people who have told me
their 'bio', which is more than you have done. One, the female
friend, went into a depression punctuated with suicidal anger when she
found out she was pregnant, and she wouldn't stand for there being any
chance that a child born to her could possibly grow up to be neglected
and unloved as she was, and thus the only thing she could think to do
was terminate the pregnancy,. I witnessed her despair, so don't be so
quick to make light of her as "proving nothing".

The people I've seen who were not shown the deepest love and affection
by their parents and caretakers turned out to be miserable adults.
You are going 'ad hominem', in your put-down comments and disregarding
the essence of what I have said, while at the same time, you haven't
come up with ANY examples of any children that tend to show that
anything I've said doesn't point in the right direction.

Come on! Put up or shut up! Give us YOUR list of kids who were fed
on formula and spent the night in a room by themselves, and tell me
what kind of teenagers and adults they turned into... please!

Obviously, from your icy words below, you believe in denying a baby
the comfort of being rocked and nursed and mothered, and sleeping
right next to its mother, in favor of a colder, more efficient, love-
depriving and cynical philosophy, of "toughening-up" the kid by
putting him or her in an empty rooim, that is, a room without the
presence of the mother. Shame on you! All I can do is feel sorry
for any babies that YOU have had or taken care of. So, please!
Authority about children! Please do comment about the results you
have had with YOUR particular childcare system? Anything the matter?
How'd you do with your love-and-warmth-deprivation system? Did I
hit a bit TOO close to home, is that the reason for your angry
outburst?

---e.a.

http://www.breastpumppedal.com- Hide quoted text -

Old April 21st 08, 09:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ed Augusts

On Apr 21, 2:29*am, "lu-lu" wrote:
"Ed Augusts" wrote in message

[...]

to 'preach', Or that you must have lived with these families you speak of?- Hide quoted text -

I don't mean to 'preach', but I'm 59 years old which is plenty old
enough to see the results of all kinds of various systems of raising
children. I like to give information about definite cases, definite
individuals, so I'm puzzled why I get anti-Ed remarks, "Who are YOU to
preach, buddy?" instead of someone saying "I've known such-and-so-many
children who were all raised on formula and whose moms didn't show
them much warmth, and they've all grown up just fine!" I don't see
those kinds of remarks because I think the truth is, children who are
deprived of affection by their mothers or other caretakers, which
includes nursing them, DO NOT grow up as successfully as very much
LOVED children do. If anyone is shamed or embarrassed that they DID
NOT love their children enough when they were babies and tots, and
realizes now that personality deficits and behavior problems, stunted
emotional and physical development, etc., may very well be due to not
"being there" for their baby, well, I'm sorry about that, I really
am! Perhaps it is more politically correct to not talk about this
issue at all? Is that what you folks are saying? Don't rock the boat
of public opinion that states "go ahead and abandon your baby in an
empty room at night, their crying, their loneliness, doesn't
matter!"

Yes, I have indeed lived with the families I mention, although that
was on another USENET group where I listed five children who had been
breastfed for 2 years or longer, and who slept very close to their
mothers; and reported on their particular, individual, scientific,
musical, artistic, and literary talents, which were often
exceptional; also on the fact they never had to take any medications
to control any behavior problems, nor did they display any signs of
ill-health. What I was HOPING was that someone would jump in with
additional support from their own experiences raising children, and if
they want to posit a contrary point of view, that they would do so
using evidence of X-number of children who were formula-fed and slept
in a different room from their mom. But so far, aside from a few
snippy remarks, nobody has stepped forward with any evidence! THAT
surprises me!

Best, -----e.a.
http://www.breastpumppedal.com
Old April 21st 08, 10:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Ed Augusts wrote:
Hi, I was giving some examples from real life people who have told me
their 'bio', which is more than you have done.

That's a bit much coming from someone who's just dropped
in this newsgroup towards someone who's been an active participant
sharing her history and advice for years and years...

Come on! Put up or shut up! Give us YOUR list of kids who were fed
on formula and spent the night in a room by themselves, and tell me
what kind of teenagers and adults they turned into... please!

Well, that's pretty easy. For one, *I* was fed formula
and slept in my own room from the get go and yet I turned into
a happy, well adjusted, successful adult--not only that, but one
who was and is very close to her mother. I rather suspect that
the majority of folks here were fed formula and slept in their
own rooms as babies. If those are your only criteria for good
parenting, I rather suspect you have little experience in the
matter.

Obviously, from your icy words below, you believe in denying a baby
the comfort of being rocked and nursed and mothered, and sleeping
right next to its mother, in favor of a colder, more efficient, love-
depriving and cynical philosophy, of "toughening-up" the kid by
putting him or her in an empty rooim, that is, a room without the
presence of the mother.

If you had made any effort to familiarize yourself with
this newsgroup (as standard netiquette suggests), you would know
how false that statement is. You might also have figured out
that lambasting a bunch of folks whose situations you have no
earthly idea about might just be a bit over the top and cause
you to be perceived as a crackpot rather than someone who might
have something interesting or legitimate to offer.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old April 21st 08, 10:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Ed Augusts wrote:

I don't mean to 'preach',

Oh, I think that it's quite clear you *do* want to
preach. Otherwise, why the fire and brimstone.

instead of someone saying "I've known such-and-so-many
children who were all raised on formula and whose moms didn't show
them much warmth, and they've all grown up just fine!"

Some folks might be thinking that a response that
equates formula feeding with frigidity doesn't merit much
response. Also the notions that separate rooms equate to
abandonment, or that parents who do not co-sleep or breastfeed
don't love their children.

But so far, aside from a few
snippy remarks, nobody has stepped forward with any evidence! THAT
surprises me!

If you walked into a room in person and spewed the sort
of venom you just did in this newsgroup, would you expect to
be received warmly and have folks exchange information in a logical
fashion with you? I rather suspect you'd have had better manners
than to do that in person, yet you somehow think that you can
waltz into *this* group and insult long term participants who are
loving and effective mothers and fathers, yet who did not breastfeed
or co-sleep (often for darned good reasons you have no right to
judge) and be treated differently?
You will find plenty of breastfeeding and co-sleeping
advocates in this newsgroup. They just have better manners, and
therefore experience a much better reception, not to mention having
a much high likelihood of persuading others to share their
opinions.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old April 21st 08, 10:30 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ed Augusts

On Apr 21, 2:05*pm, Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Ed Augusts wrote:
[...]

Oh, I'm sorry, Ericka! The niceties of netiquette were pushed aside
for me when your friend called me a moron instead of offering any
substantial evidence.

I'm very glad that even though you were formula-fed and not physically
that close to your mother, that things turned out okay. This may be
explained by possibly comparing it to the case of a man I know who was
rejected pretty badly by his mom as a kid, and has always felt he
needed to try to be closer with her, he couldn't just ASSUME her love,
he had to keep trying to earn it, although there was a deep subcurrent
of animosity as well. The point may be that your mom DID love you
and care for you very much, though she didn't breastfeed. I'm not
trying to say anywhere near 100% of mothers who don't breastfeed and
don't keep their baby close to them at night are going to find their
kids grow up to have problems, but since I know of so many individual
cases of exceptional children who WERE treated with special closeness
and WERE breastfed, it makes me wonder how the stats would stack-up
against each other, if doing such a study was possible!

By the way, here's part of what I posted on the other Newsgroup, so
that I can put something more substantial "out there" for discussion,
here are descriptions of the 5 children I was talking about on the
other group. I should probably have posted it to this Group in the
first place instead of coming in, sounding like I was "preaching". I
know you're all good mothers, it's only when someone calls me a
"MORON" rather than refuting what I'm saying through evidence that
irks me a little!

Here it is:

I'm becoming extraordinarily curious about what I perceive as a very
positive effect that prolonged breastfeeding can have on a growing
child's ability to both learn and create as well as display good
health! I have recently seen some examples of children that have
been
breastfed past 2 years of age. Let me give you a run-down on their
various attributes:

Oldest, is a girl just finishing high school. She excels in learning
foreign languages, writes complex and delightful fantasies and other
short stories that are so good, that I agree with her teachers that
they'll soon be published! She also sews kimonos, wedding dresses,
and other gowns, often designing her own patterns! As to physical
condition, she is in the martial arts and has robust good health,
though refined and delicate at the same time, not lacking in the
feminine graces.

Next up is a boy of 15. He is musically gifted and both sings and
dances. He's been touring the nation and the world for the past few
years and doing solos both singing and dancing. He has the mind of a
philosopher. He asks questions, is a deep thinker, and is of a very
serious nature. He has no known health problems, plays tennis and
other games and sports.

Next along is another boy, of 12. He is a budding scientist. He
recently won a regional science fair and is extremely interested in
robotics and aerospace. He also plays a musical instrument and is
taking lessons in it, as well. He has a strongly physical nature and
rough-houses a bit to burn off some of this energy, but has a golden
heart, is generous and friendly to all.

Next to the youngest is a boy of 6. He reputedly has prophetic and
healing abilities that can be seen in his deep-set and very dark
eyes. His mother turns to HIM for advice because she feels he has a
wisdom beyond his years. He is much more calm and relaxed than many
children of the same age. He has no physical infirmities or
weaknesses that his mother has ever mentioned.

The youngest is a boy who just turned 4. He is just a happily
playing, thriving lad! Just like his six year old brother, he has no
infirmities or physical or mental challenges or weaknesses that
anyone
knows of. He communicates well and his verbal abilities and other
skills are a bit higher than other boys of the same age. He is
perhaps too young to single out any special abilities he may have.

As I said, all these kids were breastfed until they were at least two
years old! They seem to be well-adjusted, mentally proficient, show
creative abilities including musical and artistic and literary
abilities, and I haven't seen any of them display any physical or
mental problems of any kind. I am wondering if these kids are the
exception, or the rule! Can anyone add to this list with kids whom
they know who have also been breast fed?

Best wishes, ------Ed

Old April 21st 08, 10:42 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ed Augusts

On Apr 21, 2:23*pm, Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Ed Augusts wrote:
[...]

I will take to heart what you've said, and quiet down and stay in 'my
place' -- I know when I'm basically being called "just a guy, so who
cares what he thinks or says?". This is a woman's world here. Though
I've been involved with helping market some very useful products for
women and babies and thus this topic of prolonged breastfeeding and
various kinds of nurturing experiences in motherhood came up, and
seemed important to me; I'm sorry if I haven't been steeped in the
history of this particular Group and thus seem like an intruder, such
was not my intention! I thought anybody could post here, and that my
efforts would be appreciated and also cause some debate. Debate isn't
bad, but I don't see debate, I see aggression aimed in my direction!
Oh, well! I was trying to post some ON-TOPIC stuff inbetween all the
very unfortunate travel, personal accessory, viagra, and XXX rated
SPAM that gets dumped on these mother- and child-related USENET
groups. After seeing 10 pieces of obnoxious SPAM in a row, I thought
posting something of possible interest about moms & babies might be
acceptable, but I guess I was wrong!

--------Ed
www.breastpumppedal.com
Old April 21st 08, 11:18 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Ed Augusts wrote:

I will take to heart what you've said, and quiet down and stay in 'my
place' -- I know when I'm basically being called "just a guy, so who
cares what he thinks or says?".

Where did I or anyone else suggest that the problem is
that you're male? Men are welcome here, and are welcome to
have opinions and share them. Men or women who come spewing
gross overgeneralizations and invective are the ones likely to
receive a more chilly reception.

This is a woman's world here. Though
I've been involved with helping market some very useful products for
women and babies

Hmmm...do we now see the motivation here? Marketing
perhaps? Spam is not welcome, but you are certainly encouraged
to be a genuine participant in this newsgroup. If you are
hoping to promote your product, I can guarantee you that
posts insulting many of the fine parents in this group who
aren't following your parenting program is not a great way
to get others to buy into your views or your products.

and thus this topic of prolonged breastfeeding and
various kinds of nurturing experiences in motherhood came up, and
seemed important to me; I'm sorry if I haven't been steeped in the
history of this particular Group and thus seem like an intruder, such
was not my intention! I thought anybody could post here, and that my
efforts would be appreciated and also cause some debate. Debate isn't
bad, but I don't see debate, I see aggression aimed in my direction!

Because you started with aggression, it is not so surprising
that you received some in return. You'll find this is a group
that is generally respectful of different parenting choices,
especially from folks who don't start insulting those who don't
share their choices.

Best wishes,
Ericka