baby sign language

Old January 16th 07, 03:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

Default baby sign language

I'd like to start using sign language for basic words. Is there an online
research for this?

Betsy

Old January 16th 07, 08:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

I'd like to start using sign language for basic words. Is there an online
research for this?

I'm not sure there is much as of course, they want you to buy the book! But
I'd expect there is an ASL dictionary, there is a BSL (British Sign
Language) one, so then you can look up the words you want to try and use and
learn them yourself, then use them at the right times.

The other thing in the book is about when to introduce the various words,
and about the different "moments" you have with your child and how sometimes
to do it with speech and sometimes not, but realistically, if you've got a
few things you want to teach, such as food, more, milk, water, please,
thankyou, then you just use them when appropriate, some kids will get it and
some kids won't, we've done exactly the same with our two children, first
picked up several and we found it very useful for most of the 2nd year that
he could communicate his basic needs before he could say those particular
words, so he would ask for a breastfeed by signing milk, but saying mummy.
Our 2nd on the other hand has steadfastly refused to learn anything, until
just this week, she has signed please (she's 18mths), we've absolutely no
idea why, but we communicate equally well, if not better, it's almost as if
she's made up her own signs, they are not hand based, but I could make a
mini dictionary of the things she is able to communicate.

Cheers

Anne

Old January 21st 07, 10:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Anne Rogers wrote:
I'd like to start using sign language for basic words. Is there an online
research for this?

I'm not sure there is much as of course, they want you to buy the book! But
I'd expect there is an ASL dictionary, there is a BSL (British Sign
Language) one, so then you can look up the words you want to try and use and
learn them yourself, then use them at the right times.

A simple google for "ASL browser" will pull up a great free resource.

Personally, though it is expensive, I am a devotee of Signing Time. We
have *all* of them. They are outstanding vocabulary builders and I know
so much more sign now just from watching them. Shiny loves them too and
is signing quite a bit--she says, Please, Mama, More, Drink, Thirsty,
Cookie, Potty, Diaper, Change, Cheese, Daddy, Sister, Bye-bye, Light
and several others that aren't coming to mind right now. She also
shakes her head "no" and nods "yes", which was helped by the videos. I
strongly suspect they will also help her learn to read. Oh, she's also
done a couple phrases... including Signing Time, Mama Milk, More
Cookie, More Please, Change diaper, Cheese please...

Given our unique challenges with language for her, *THRILLED* does not
begin to cover my reaction to Signing Time. Her likelihood of
developing coherent speech is relatively low (i.e. none of the other
kids with her condition have done so, though all were babbling at her
age)... so every sign that "sticks" is a good thing.

We're seeing a language explosion right now, at 22 months, which is
"right on time" in a lot of ways--a miracle. She's picking up new
sounds and signs very readily, though she often drops them as quickly.
The spoken stuff just does NOT stick. But sign language is stickier
for her, so we're really pushing it in the mix, and all of us are
learning it. My extended family like Signing Time because it's an easy
way to babysit for a half hour, and it subversively gets them signing
too.

Jenrose

Old January 22nd 07, 05:28 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Personally, though it is expensive, I am a devotee of Signing Time.

How expensive?

What we initially did with Ada in terms of baby sign language never did
work, but she just seems to be starting to pick some up, even though we
don't really use them! She signs milk to get water, so she's a bit confused.
She's 19mths, and definitely has a speech delay, as far as we can tell, it
is just a case of being behind normal, rather than anything being actually
wrong, but she is keen to communicate through all sorts of means, and we
don't know whether behind normal will mean she will be speaking next month,
or next year and signs might be a good idea at this time, in case if falls
into the longer range category, or on the off chance that it turns out to be
a problem rather than just being slow.

Are these the kind of things it's possible to borrow from a library?

Cheers

Anne

Old January 22nd 07, 02:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

Anne Rogers wrote:
Personally, though it is expensive, I am a devotee of Signing Time.

We loved them too. We bought the first 3 when DD1 was a baby
(she's 5 now) and she used them a ton., DD2 also loved them.
DD2 signed a fair bit more than DD1 did. DD2 will still ask to
watch them, even though her speech is quite good (she's 2.5 years).
She has hung on to two signs that she still uses regularly: more
and please.

How expensive?

Each DVD seems to run about $20. If you buy the first set (DVDs
1-3 you'll get a pretty useful vocabulary. Here is their website:
http://www.signingtime.com/

What we initially did with Ada in terms of baby sign language never did
work, but she just seems to be starting to pick some up, even though we
don't really use them! She signs milk to get water, so she's a bit confused.
She's 19mths, and definitely has a speech delay, as far as we can tell, it
is just a case of being behind normal, rather than anything being actually
wrong, but she is keen to communicate through all sorts of means, and we
don't know whether behind normal will mean she will be speaking next month,
or next year and signs might be a good idea at this time, in case if falls
into the longer range category, or on the off chance that it turns out to be
a problem rather than just being slow.

Are these the kind of things it's possible to borrow from a library?

Possibly, worth looking into. They also on some public broadcasting
stations. Look here to see if your local PBS station carries it:
http://www.signingtime.com/pressroom...ncarriage.html

Mary W.